Respected Contributor

Re: QVC is blocking free speech.....

@missy1 wrote:

Yes, this is a private board I agree (you can't say what you really want to). The problem like posters mentioned in C.C., is that the posts that are removed are very inconsistent.  Replies are subjective between mods. One may think it's fine, the other not. Also, some posters say basically the same thing, but one of them will get their posts removed only.  Is it because the mods have their favorites (based on hearts, or how many times the poster reports inapropriate content)? Do some of the posters collaborate/work with the mods? (There's a few select posters that continue to need brownie points or run the board)........IMO

Aack, we've been outed!  Yes, there is a cabal of a few select posters who collaborate with the moderators.  Our evil plan is workingRobot LOL

Honored Contributor

QVC DELETES ANYTHING THEY THINK IS POLITICAL, EVEN IF IT IS NOT POLITICAL. IF THE POST IS ABOUT SOMEONE IN POLITICS, AND NOT ABOUT A POLITICAL SUBJECT, THEY DELETE IT.

Honored Contributor

Freedom of speech means the government can't come after you for what you say, nothing else.  IT doesn't mean there aren't any consequences or outcry about what is said.  It doesn't protect you from repurcussions.

This is a private website and the owner of the website makes all the rules.  Period.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

QVC DELETES ANYTHING THEY THINK IS POLITICAL, EVEN IF IT IS NOT POLITICAL. IF THE POST IS ABOUT SOMEONE IN POLITICS, AND NOT ABOUT A POLITICAL SUBJECT, THEY DELETE IT.

I'll go with preventative measures.   LOL!   Sometimes it's better to remove the catalyst than to wait for the explosion.

Internet people will take disagreements to the extreme over almost anything.  I rarely think twice about my posts that have been removed.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

Like I said before QVC is the captain if their ship if we don't like it we can jump overboard.

Honored Contributor

This whole complaining about peoples' 'free speech' being squelched on this board has become tedious and childish, to say the least.   The whole 'she did it, why can't I?' thing is also ridiculous.  They don't have full-time 24/7 moderators.  They shouldn't have to.  We should be able to act like grown ups.  

The notion of 'free speech' has been explained a hundred times here.  I guess some choose not to listen.

Bottom line is that this is somebody else's private property, not a governmental entity.  If you came on my private property there would be things that are not allowed, either.  I have that right because it is MY private property and that overrides somebody else's disrespectful need to not play by the rules.  Same thing here.  

It's really quite simple, so I choose to believe that some folks are  really not that obtuse, but it's just another form of stirring the pot and trying to incite others.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

So in general what subjects are you refering to?  Give us some examples of non political subjects that have been taken down.  We don't need the name of the person we can figure it out.

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

This whole complaining about peoples' 'free speech' being squelched on this board has become tedious and childish, to say the least.   The whole 'she did it, why can't I?' thing is also ridiculous.  They don't have full-time 24/7 moderators.  They shouldn't have to.  We should be able to act like grown ups.  

The notion of 'free speech' has been explained a hundred times here.  I guess some choose not to listen.

Bottom line is that this is somebody else's private property, not a governmental entity.  If you came on my private property there would be things that are not allowed, either.  I have that right because it is MY private property and that overrides somebody else's disrespectful need to not play by the rules.  Same thing here.  

It's really quite simple, so I choose to believe that some folks are  really not that obtuse, but it's just another form of stirring the pot and trying to incite others.

I don't understand how you can make this comment about the boards " not having full-time moderators. "

I must ask how do you know this and why did you post it as the exact truth?

What do you know that we don't ?

I don't agree with you either as they are just as active during the graveyard shift as any other.

Honored Contributor

Oh please, you want 'free speech' then write a manifesto and have it self-published. Otherwise, you live within the parameters of what free posting on someone else's message boards allows... I'm not a big fan of over-moderation or of uneven moderation, but when it gets right down to it, it is what it is.  We either live with what the traffic will bear or we move on.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

So in general what subjects are you refering to?  Give us some examples of non political subjects that have been taken down.  We don't need the name of the person we can figure it out.

I will add that if a thread is about a political person, that thread is by definition political. I'm starting to wonder whether some simply don't understand the definition of "political."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland