Honored Contributor

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

[ Edited ]

I've cut back on shopping anyway, but my shopping here has pretty much screeched to a halt over the past few years. I got one twenty dollar item from QVC in the last few months and not much that I can think of on the horizon. I went from having the TV turned to QVC a good part of the time, even when just as background noise, to virtually never having it on at all, even as background noise... Simply put, they lost the spark and I lost interest... Big time...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
New Contributor

I totally agree. If I see a pair of shoes I like on QVC I check Zappos to see if they carry that style. Free shipping , I get my order within 2 days, and free returns up to 1 year.

Respected Contributor

I do the same thing. I check Amazon. I get free shipping and it arrives the next day.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

I also check Amazon and other sites before I order now.  I was a really devoted QVC shopper many years ago.  Now, not so much.  For example, QVC started carrying Urban Decay.  I watched some of the presentations.  I did order one eyebrow product because they said it was exclusive to QVC.  I'm not crazy about it, but too costly to return.  Also, I see it sold elsewhere already--I should have waited.   I was interested in some other Urban Decay items, but I bought them at Macy's for 15% off and free shipping.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know of anyone my kids ages (30-40 range) that shops at QVC.  Also, I have neighbors that shop a lot and they have no knowledge of or interest in QVC.  

Highlighted
New Contributor

Not true.  I've purchased from Zappos where the shoes were the same price as the Q and got free shipping in both directions.

Respected Contributor

Retailers have to evolve otherwise they can just turn off the lights.  QVC may eventually be seen only online, not on tv.  Young people don't want to sit for hours hoping they'll see something they want to purchase.  However, they will spend time searching online.  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

1. I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 

@ShopperL

Is this how you feel about your own older generation in your family?

Just waiting for them "to die off"?

I can't believe I even read that. Glad I'm not one of the elders in your family....SMH.

We both know that's not what she meant.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ShopperL wrote:

I've been thinking this lately especially when reading the posts about the slow shipping.  Sears was once the leading retailer in the country.  They were the first one with catalogues and mail order commerce.  They were national and everyone bought from Sears.  People even purchased houses from Sears.  Now they are going bankrupt because they can't adapt to the times.  I think this is the path that QVC is on.  They have the TV shopping/on-line shopping thing down but haven't been able to change to adapt to the times.  My daughter who is 24 has packages delvered here at least 4 times a week.  She orders on line and the delivery is in days, not over a week later (like the Q).  She vary rarely pays for shipping and very rarely pays for return shipping.  

1. I order from Macy's and Kohls and get my items within days, all with free shipping.  I may have to spend $49 or $75 for free shipping but I make sure I can qualify with my order.   I order from Clarks and get free shipping and returns.  The shoes arrive in 2 - 3 days.  The millienials have grown up ordering on-line and expecting quick shipment.  Once the "older" generation dies off, there is no one to backfill those customers.  I just don't see a roadmap for the longevity of QVC/HSN in it's current state. 

@ShopperL

Is this how you feel about your own older generation in your family?

Just waiting for them "to die off"?

I can't believe I even read that. Glad I'm not one of the elders in your family....SMH.

@ShopperL @KingstonsMom  IG that is not what ShopperL said at all. Maybe you want to reread her post as you are attributing a completely different meaning to what she wrote. 

Trusted Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

QVC is not Sears. Sears had problems with its leadership--even though pressure from Amazon would be enough to give any business the jitters.

Actually, out of all the shopping channels, the Q is in the best shape. They do use social media and made it easier (almost too easy) to shop by phone. There are still people who beneift by shopping at the Q. Yes, they're older. They're loyal and lured by the ez pays.  About the clothing, once you get older, it's more challenging to find clothing that looks decent and looks decent on you. Vanity sizing? You pay for the privilege of having it coe to your door. And there is a very liberal return policy.

A lot of this "older generation" has the money to spend. You can't say that about most millennials. They're too busy paying off massive college loans. 

The Q hasn' t gone under yet.

@JavaQueen  I’m of the older generation and had to pay off my massive college loan. I did it waiting tables and allotments from my military pay. It took a long time. There are plenty of jobs out there and ways to work your way up from one job to the next. Working your way up takes time for most people. Some people think they should have everything now and others should pay their way. We have money to spend because we paid our own way, and paid our dues.