Honored Contributor

Re: QVC heading down the Sears path?

[ Edited ]

As savy as most of you are about the way the shopping business is run, Im surprised you dont have your own businesses and are making millions.

Just an opinion from one of the older generation that is dying off.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I guess having a Kardashian line of clothes at Sears just wasn't enough to save the company!  Wonder what brilliant mind came up with that idea. 

My daughter and I walked through a Sears store a couple years ago to get into the mall.  We looked at the Kardashian items and had a good laugh.  I wonder how often the K clan stepped foot into a Sears store other than for the hoopla when their junk was introduced.  Yes, I said junk! 

Little wonder why Sears is becoming a has been retailer.  Poor quality!   Sears used to sell quality products at middle of the road prices.    Evidently now, the quality is lacking and people have alternatives to turn to. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@this is my nic

I guess having Lands’ End at Sears just wasn’t enough

to save the company, either.  There were lots of national,

established brands represented, which didn’t help the company.

Even though brands are important to a company,

are not the sole reason why a company falters.  

1E53A184-39E0-4784-8E01-852891B4001D.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I guess having a Kardashian line of clothes at Sears just wasn't enough to save the company!  Wonder what brilliant mind came up with that idea. 

My daughter and I walked through a Sears store a couple years ago to get into the mall.  We looked at the Kardashian items and had a good laugh.  I wonder how often the K clan stepped foot into a Sears store other than for the hoopla when their junk was introduced.  Yes, I said junk! 

Little wonder why Sears is becoming a has been retailer.  Poor quality!   Sears used to sell quality products at middle of the road prices.    Evidently now, the quality is lacking and people have alternatives to turn to. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen a Kris Kardashian clothing item here on qvc too. 

Respected Contributor

QVC is not Sears. Sears had problems with its leadership--even though pressure from Amazon would be enough to give any business the jitters.

Actually, out of all the shopping channels, the Q is in the best shape. They do use social media and made it easier (almost too easy) to shop by phone. There are still people who beneift by shopping at the Q. Yes, they're older. They're loyal and lured by the ez pays.  About the clothing, once you get older, it's more challenging to find clothing that looks decent and looks decent on you. Vanity sizing? You pay for the privilege of having it coe to your door. And there is a very liberal return policy.

A lot of this "older generation" has the money to spend. You can't say that about most millennials. They're too busy paying off massive college loans. 

The Q hasn' t gone under yet.

Super Contributor

No one is picking up  the cost for shipping, it is included in the cost of goods. I was in retail and when we priced it included the cost. If they shipped everything without it they would not have that much profit. Major companies know the art of getting you to think it is shipped without cost. QVC shipping is not that high, but you have to complain about something.

Frequent Contributor

Their shipping is terrible and sale prices most of the time is $4.00 off. Many vendors have better shipping and wonderful sale prices. Their return charge is ridiculous and current prices are outside of my budget. I only buy if items are greatly reduced.

Super Contributor

I think as the older generation (50+) stops shopping as often, how will they (QVC) survive?? What 20 , 30 something gal wants SG's fashion? Or Logo's crazy style? The only modern, edgy line to even come close to the interest of those younger is Laurie Felt. Her prices are high though. The younger generation want the best for less $$$ and they'll shop around. Case in point, 2 of my nieces come from an affluent upbringing and surprisingly as the one has aged and moved out on her own she is a Target, Marshall's, etc gal! She doesn't want to spend her money like her Mom used to on her. . .

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that shipping costs are going to do the Q in.  Unless it is absolutely something I cannot purchase elsewhere,  I will not pay shipping.  Too many other retailers offer free (and fast!!) shipping.   Why would I pay, for instance, shipping on multiple cosmetic pieces from QVC when I can buy at a million other sites and have it shipped for free?  My spending has defiitely decreased because of the cost of shipping----not too mention it comes via snail mail.

And let's face it---the younger generation doesn't want more "stuff."  Which I applaud them for.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

The Easy Pay is helping QVC.  Most shoppers only see the small monthly payment and don't pay attention to how much the product will really cost in the end.  If you don't pay attention you may be paying out hundreds of dollars to QVC and not realize it.

There are many times now when I will watch a presenation but may purchase the product elsewhere because I can get free shipping and the price may be less than the Q.  

Q really needs to work on getting their shipping costs inline with other retailers.  They are the only retailer I have seen which has a S&H charge attached to each item.  Everyone else basis it on the total purchase cost or weight if the item is oversize.  I rarely pay for shipping on any product I order.

I don't disagree that s/h is a problem if you are ordering multiple items.  However, there are a lot of stores that have minimum dollar requirements you have to meet to get free s/h and until you meet that threshold, the s/h is high.  It has been awhile so maybe it has changed but I was going to order a top from JJill and the s/h charge was $9.95.  Last week I placed an order on Old Navy's website and for 2 thin shirts the s/h was $7.00.  The minimum s/h on Sephora is $5.95.  You have to spend $50.00 to get free s/h.   It makes no sense to me when I see people say they ordered stuff just to get free s/h.  If you are spending $20.00 more on items you don't need just to save $5.95 in s/h, where is the savings for you?  It doesn't make sense. 

I don't mind paying $3.00 s/h if I order a clothing item from QVC.  But I do mind paying $9.00 if I order 3 items.  Evine is the same way except unless they are having a shipping special, their s/h charge on clothing is $4.99 and they charge that for every item. 

Look at the Q2 Big Deal today.  A pair of sweater knit slippers that are originally $24.95.  The special price is $19.95 and then they are charging $5.50 to ship them.  That's nuts. They might as well just have kept the price the same and offered free s/h.