Regular Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I agree that QVC no longer interests me. I've solved that problem for myself by no longer watching. That said, the notion that they had to move 'ahead' with the times and focus on what works only holds water if that strategy fosters a solid performance. Based on financial reports, it wouldn't appear that it is... I don't particularly care if QVC returns to days of yore, but they certainly need to climb out of their current repetitious, hard-sell, boring, humdrum existence... They're in a rut and appear either unmotivated or unable to come up with a plan to climb out of it... All that said, barring some sort of major paradigm shift, I think the glory days of TV based home shopping are past...

I agree with your post @stevieb.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Maddie64 wrote:

I have been watching for years, when I first started it was great, since then they have gotten rid of a lot of vendors and now focus on their own products. Seems they have gotten money hungry too a lot of their own Q card mentioned and some of the hosts have gotten very pushy in their sales pitch, like Jayne Brown. It isn't even as fun to watch their Xmas shows anymore, any show I watch is the same old products over and over. If I see one more Josie Maran show I'm going to scream. Bring back the old QVC it was way more exciting!

@Maddie64  Bringing back the old QVC isn't going to happen.  If you dislike the station so much, then opt out of watching and ordering from it.   It's the capitalist system.  Nobody is forcing you to watch or buy.  

Everyone can post their opinion, even if you don't agree with it.

And nobody has said otherwise.   I don't know what your issue is; to me it's nonexistent.

No issue.  I never even look at the name of the poster when I respond.  My response was to your "Nobody is forcing you to watch or buy."  It sounded dismissive.  Everyone's opinion is worth something and shouldn't be dismissed.  

Respected Contributor

Nothing wrong with trying to bring in new customers - makes perfect sense.

It's kind of funny to hear that "baby boomers" should be pushed past.  As a member of that demo, I can say I have wayyyyyyyyy more money than I did when I was the age of my millenial daughter!!!  I had very little disposable income at that time.  And when you are the age with young children, you have no money either.  You are spending it on necessities for your kids.  I had no money then either.

So, a demographic group that now finally has the money are the baby boomers.  You are either at the top of your working income or finally have disposable income.

You can finally buy the things you couldn't before!

Hyacinth

Occasional Contributor

Another boomer here with more time and money to shop now than a decade ago. Like many have commented here, I don't enjoy many of the current hosts and some I refuse to watch even if the product seems interesting. I'm not about to bash anyone, some must enjoy them or they wouldn't still be on the air. 

What has turned me away from shopping here is that I can usually find the item at a better price elsewhere, often through Amazon. I received an email from QVC about Clark's Leisa Lakelyn sandals. Great! I just got a pair from Amazon and love them. Oh, wait....Q's special price is $59.80 plus S/H. I got my pair for $49.95 and free shipping, and that was not through Prime. The vendor selling this style on Amazon offers 7 colors, not just three. 

If this didn't happen frequently, I would watch more often but the last items I bought from QVC were purchased over 6 months ago when they couldn't be found elsewhere. 

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC dissapointing

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

The purpose of a business is to make money through sales and not to entertain.  The hosts are hired to bring in sales.  Don't really get this post!  If I didn't like QVC I wouldn't watch and if any business displeased me so much I wouldn't continue to want to shop there!  There is no business that wants to go backward and stay stagnent as that is a sure way to not prosper!  The need to appeal to a younger demographic is necessary as the older generation of buyers from years ago ages and shrinks.  

@Pook

The problem is what QVC is doing is NOT working--- revenues have declined all last year and the first quarter of this year!!! The financial reports are published check them out, some are even posted on the Forum in Q Talk.  And CEO's Mike George refers to QVC as both a shopping and entertainment channel!  The OP isnt asking for dolls or older vendors back--what she was talking about is VARIETY in products and programming!

From Mike George interview----

QVC has always used storytelling and entertainment to help sell products on TV.  At QVC, the goal is to bring the inspiration and entertainment found on its television network over to its digital properties

http://www.mytotalretail.com/article/inside-look-qvcs-transformation-digital-retailer/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Pook wrote:

The purpose of a business is to make money through sales and not to entertain.  The hosts are hired to bring in sales.  Don't really get this post!  If I didn't like QVC I wouldn't watch and if any business displeased me so much I wouldn't continue to want to shop there!  There is no business that wants to go backward and stay stagnent as that is a sure way to not prosper!  The need to appeal to a younger demographic is necessary as the older generation of buyers from years ago ages and shrinks.  

I completely understand what OP is saying.  Q has its regular products (or variations thereof) that it shows week after week after week after week.  

The boomer generation is larger than any other at this time. Large corporations will trample over the 55+ to make younger people happy. Work in any large corporation and that's all you'll hear and see as they push the experienced workers out the door.   

I don't know how old you are but don't dismiss those older as dumb or backwards.  People in their 50s and older can be just as, if not more, forward thinking than any younger person. The over 55 group isn't dead yet.

@CalminHeart

I totally agree with you Calmin....There are articles out there indicating that the younger demographic isnt interested in buying expensive clothes, handbags, or even new cars.  They are more interested in discount stores for clothes, they spend their income on technology, and eating out and paying off college loans.  The boomer generation has more disposable income and established careers where the younger demographic prefers to switch their jobs every 3 to 5 years........

And this is how QVC's CEO described QVC customers....

"I'm hesitant to put a label on her, because she's very diverse. Our customer is a 35- to 65-year-old woman with a somewhat above-average income, The sweet spot of the household income level for QVC goes from $50,000 to $250,000".

And I'm with you and the OP.....regardless of AGE no one likes DULL and REPETITIVE programming..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The big point is who will even buy what QVC sells.........

QVC sells-clothes (not high on millenial list),  and a lot of millenials arent even independent (still living at home) so would they buy vacuums, appliances, kitchen items that QVC sells or just use what their parents have..........and as far as spending...Generation X and Boomers spend the most.............

Chart showing generational spending habits by household. Scroll to the bottom of the blog post for an all-text version.The research tables we produced show that generational spending habits differ in ways both expected and surprising. (See below for a text version of the chart). Here’s what we found:

https://www.facebook.com/departmentoflabor/videos/vb.190226429055/101553...  *Editor's note: The Consumer Expenditure Survey is a household survey. While millennials outnumber other generations in number, they come in third behind Gen X and baby boomers with regards to independent households. Why’s that?  Not all millennials are out living on their own just yet, so they’re not counted as separate households. Steve Henderson is an economist with the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  

Video Transcript

How do millennials spend their money? Unlike older generations, the majority of millennials (2 out of 3) rent. Millennials have the fewest vehicles (1.5) of any generation, except those born before 1929. Gen Xers spend the most money overall, but millennials spend the largest share of their budget (over 6 percent) eating out. Millennials spend less on entertainment ($2,186) than baby boomers and Gen Xers. Millennials also spend less ($1,708) on apparel than baby boomers and Gen Xers, but spend the most on motorcycles. They also spend the most ($169) on clothing for children under 2. #BabyShowers Learn more: bls.gov/generations

https://blog.dol.gov/2016/11/03/spending-habits-by-generation

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing stays the same forever, and thank goodness.  Black and white tube TVs. No remote controls.  All phones connected to a curly cord in the wall.  Horse and buggies.  Imagine the people that probably complained when those things changed.

QVC is a for profit company.  QVC is not selling directly to me, all the time, every day.  I've seen some posts that seem to indicate they expect and feel entitled to QVC only selling items they are interested in.

I am a (living) baby boomer.  I know in TV advertising I am out of the chosen demographics.  "Old folks want the status quo, it's younger people that are still trying new things."   I cringe at the posts on this forum that prove the TV ad folks are correct.  Obviously the opinion isn't describing everyone. 

There are so many shopping outlets.  Streaming live  Go ahead and grumble, take a breath and turn the channel.  Getting upset doesn't do you any good. .

Esteemed Contributor

The QVC of days of yore is never coming back.  As mentioned in several other posts, QVC has to move forward.  30 years ago, a shopping network was a novel idea.  Shopping off the tv?  Great!  Guess what? Then the interenet and the home computer happened.  Then the smartphone happened.  QVC now has to compete.

Certain vendors are heavy in rotation because their items sell and it's all about moving products and making money.

I never viewed QVC as a form of entertainment.  I watched because I was interested in the product, not in the host.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NiteShade wrote:

Nothing stays the same forever, and thank goodness.  Black and white tube TVs. No remote controls.  All phones connected to a curly cord in the wall.  Horse and buggies.  Imagine the people that probably complained when those things changed.

QVC is a for profit company.  QVC is not selling directly to me, all the time, every day.  I've seen some posts that seem to indicate they expect and feel entitled to QVC only selling items they are interested in.

I am a (living) baby boomer.  I know in TV advertising I am out of the chosen demographics.  "Old folks want the status quo, it's younger people that are still trying new things."   I cringe at the posts on this forum that prove the TV ad folks are correct.  Obviously the opinion isn't describing everyone. 

There are so many shopping outlets.  Streaming live  Go ahead and grumble, take a breath and turn the channel.  Getting upset doesn't do you any good. .

@NiteShade

I am so tired of "change the channel"  and "shop elsewhere" gang,  I think we are all intelligent enough to figure that out, thank you.

I guess you don't understand QVC is not doing that hot financially so they need to make some changes in order to retain and keep current customers engaged.  So if all the customers just moved on and didnt bother to shop at QVC they could find themselves in the same boat as retailers in very serious financial trouble--Sears, Kmart, Macy's, JCP etc , is that what you want, just asking?.  

The OP is just trying to keep QVC as a viable retail option there is nothing wrong with giving their comments/suggestions.  And all customers are entitled to provide their feedback, and with QVC's decline in revenues they need to start somewhere in making some updates.  I don't think the OP wants them to go back to selling dolls and baskets, just some actual new and unique products once in awhile may keep people watching and buying.  And all companies want feedback from their customers (some even pay a pretty penny for it).