Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC buys HSN for 2 billion

@CHATTY wrote:

I just saw where QVC bought HSN for $2 billion.  

NO they didn't.

Valued Contributor

i HATE THIS, BECAUSE i DO NOT LIKE QVC AS MUCH AS HSN...why, because HSN does not disrespect their customers and treat their forums like romper room. Watch the q, run HSN intothe ground, QVC was not doing well financially.

Valued Contributor

yeah, maybe time to ditch both, where is the 2 billion coming from?

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

So how might the QVC HSN merger affect vendors in the future? That remains to be seen but Footwear News has some comments from QVC shoe vendors:

http://footwearnews.com/2017/business/retail/qvc-hsn-deal-fashion-brands-389866/

Esteemed Contributor

THis Liberty Media's attempt to rescue two sinking ships by consolidating some operations into one.  Not,gonna work.  The basic business model here is so out of,date that nothing is going to fix it.long term.  THese two companies have attempted for years to attract a younger customer base.  It's not happening and it will never happen.  An idea that was fresh and unique and interesting 25 years ago is now sadly outdated and quaint.  YOunger buyers are not interested in Denim and Co clothing and fake diamonds. Today's savvy shoppers have a world of opportunities to purchase whatever they want on the internet.  THey compare prices and refuse to pay the  shopping channel's outrageous shipping charges.  The shopping channel's loyal customer base is shrinking as those customers age.  THey are not picking up enough new customers to fill the gap.  Give the shopping channel's another 10-15 years max and they will be gone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

THis Liberty Media's attempt to rescue two sinking ships* by consolidating some operations into one.  Not,gonna work.  The basic business model* here is so out of,date* that nothing is going to fix it.long term*.  THese two companies have attempted for years to attract a younger customer base.  It's not happening and it will never happen.  An idea that was fresh and unique and interesting 25 years ago is now sadly outdated* and quaint.  YOunger buyers are not interested in Denim and Co clothing and fake diamonds. Today's savvy shoppers have a world of opportunities to purchase whatever they want on the internet*.  THey compare prices and refuse to pay the  shopping channel's outrageous shipping charges*.  The shopping channel's loyal customer base is shrinking as those customers age.  THey are not picking up enough new customers to fill the gap.  Give the shopping channel's another 10-15 years max and they will be gone*.

ITA!  Sad, but true. 

We're in the midst of a major technology shift and it's happening rapidly.

*sinking ships

*out of date business model

*world of opportunities/internet - can you say "GOOGL" and "AMZN"?

*shipping charges - AMZN-free shipping & 24-48 hr. delivery

*10-15 years max - I don't think they have that much time.

I feel badly for Sears, KMart & Macy's.  RIP.

Edit:
And I also made a heckuva discovery last year .. WMT and WMT dot com.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also want to add something about paradigm shifts ....

I think "sales" jobs are changing, whether on TV or in person --fewer opportunities in commission sales jobs.

Now-a-days, people can just look at pictures and read reviews.  You don't need someone "pitiching" the sale.

For any of you who follow the stock market, I've seen auto parts retail stocks collapse since AMZN started selling auto parts & accessories.

The radio station I listen to is constantly pitching "low commissions" on real estate sales .. no more 6%.

Cars, Security lights, furniture, windows, doors, clothes, cosmetics, kitchen appliances, handyman services; just scan the 'net, look at pictures, read reviews and press a button.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

@blankette wrote:

i HATE THIS, BECAUSE i DO NOT LIKE QVC AS MUCH AS HSN...why, because HSN does not disrespect their customers and treat their forums like romper room. Watch the q, run HSN intothe ground, QVC was not doing well financially.

Interesting because I find the opposite to be true. HSN's forum is a major turn off for me. Pages and pages of personal conversations. Some people only post endless jokes and pictures. That's fine and dandy in general chat rooms. I think QVC runs their forum so much better. I can actually find product threads without scrolling through pages and pages of gifs and pictures.  I consider HSN's forum a romper room. I fear they will combine the platform and ruin a welcoming atmosphere over here. The good news is QVC mods will be on their A game and delete any negativity.