Honored Contributor

Re: QVC all streaming in the future?

[ Edited ]

@MezzieStarr wrote:

I stream QVC on Amazon Fire Stick.  We have QVC "over the air" here available with an antenna but the quality is poor.

Been streaming for probably 10 years now. No cable. Only way to go.

I personally don't know any of my family or friends who have cable or dish anymore.

@MezzieStarr 

I know a lot of people here in Texas that have cable because its the only way we can watch our local NBA team since "BALLYSPORTS" has an exclusive contract with cable only.....And there are some streaming services that dont offer local channels .....or you have to pay extra to get the sports tier to watch NFL games! Some try an antenna but sometimes certain areas cant pick up certain channels because of the nearest tower location..(in my area I only get 6 channels via antenna)..

However the sports world is starting to move towards streaming.  The NFL has moved Thursday Night Football to Amazon Prime Video, and the game from London this morning was only available by subscribing to ESPN+....so the NFL is going to FORCE fans to pay $16 or this service, $10 for that...And some streaming services charge extras like Sling to watch TCM and other channels you have to purchase "hollywood extra" to get what you like...nickel and diming us to death!🙄

Pretty soon streaming will cost as much as cable....Add up all these extra costs...plus streaming usually requires a power internet or fiber service that runs $70- to $100.....to prevent buffering/chopiness....

When you compare streaming costs it can cost as much as cable.....I used a "cutting a cord tool" and for the things I like to watch it was going to cost $35 more for streaming vs cable....It depends what your interests are, what are your favorite channels are and how much live TV you want.....Some people are willing to sacrifice and make do with what they get with streaming packages to save money

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt   I so agree w/all you said & you said it very well.

But, I was surprised this am that for some reason we could get a Canadian channel that was carrying the football game.  It wasn't in hd but honestly wasn't too bad watching.  

Honored Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@Spurt   I so agree w/all you said & you said it very well.

But, I was surprised this am that for some reason we could get a Canadian channel that was carrying the football game.  It wasn't in hd but honestly wasn't too bad watching.  

@colleena 

Its funny how sometimes you can get weird channels....Where I used to live in San Antonio on my bedroom TV only I could pick up a channel in Austin without an antenna...LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's interesting that they don't recognize the many people that can't get reliable (or any internet).  Including me.  I live less than 20 miles outside of one of our major cities, but my internet used to come through my land line.  They finally stopped that, so I had to beg for them to come out to even check if I could get a signal from a tower.  I live surrounded by trees and hills about 1/2 mile from my home, and although I can get wi-fi, it frequently goes out.

The lack of rural internet in our state was really bad for the kids that lived in the west end of my state during Covid school closures.  They would have to have a parent drive miles to sit outside in a car near a wi-fi signal so they could do their school work.

Super Contributor

I don't think we will see it for QVC for quite some time.
They went to 3 channels to try to reac has many households as possible.
Streaming would take them in the opposite direction for now.

I'm old so I'm not worried. I'll be gone long before the Q goes off the air and only streams.

Regular Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I guess this will be like everything else going on these days.  They force you eventually to do all these things that you don't really want to do.  I doubt seriously that "streaming" would make me any happier and that I would find any more and exciting things to watch than I already have and probably end up having to spend way more money!  I get that everybody is all into --- we must move forward -- blah, blah, blah.  So, why can't it be that those that want to - can -- have streaming and all of these other things, and the rest of us can have what we want as well?  I don't mind change but I just want to have a choice in things!!!! 

Streaming is mainly about ease of use and covenience. Technology advances and improves whether we want to change with it or not.