Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Starting Black Friday Today Two Thumbs Down!

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it's not only QVC promoting Black Friday already, everybody's doing this just to keep up with the preverbial Jones's.

Hubby and I were shopping in kroger's yesterday.  The employees were packing up everything halloween and loading up the shelves with christmas/holiday stuff.  They're totally bypassing thanksgiving.

Pretty soon black frinday will be in June as soon as the kids get out of school for the summer.  Heck why not make every day black friday?  When you think about it, you could say that every day is black friday - after all you can buy something, anything and stash it away for holiday giving. 

What an insane concept - black friday

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Hubby and I were shopping in kroger's yesterday.  The employees were packing up everything halloween and loading up the shelves with christmas/holiday stuff.  They're totally bypassing thanksgiving.

@PINKdogWOODThis has been happening for years - it's nothing new this year.  Black Friday beginning today is new this year. As I posted above, it was bad enough pushing Black Friday into Thanksgiving Day itself in the past couple of years.  

Honored Contributor

@PearleeWe'll see what happens as the month goes.  If shoppers don't like it, they won't buy.  If shoppers do like it, they will buy and the practice will continue.

As another proof for my belief that QVC almost must do what they're doing, the only email in my inbox this AM about "Black November" ( or whatever it is) came from Amazon!  Amazon is more than twice as big a company as QVC.  Doesn't that make them and probably Walmart (which I believe is still a bit larger) the trend setters more than QVC? 

Fortunately, no one in my house forces me to shop anywhere or forces me to watch any particular TV channel.  I'm not having any troubkle finding things to do or see or hear during the hours I used to shop, so I won't be subjected to any of what goes on unless I want to. Not likely -  I'm pretty much done shopping until 2016 arrives.  No one can make that happen a month early!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

There is nothing sacred about Black Friday - it's RETAIL, not religion!

@Buck-i-NanaNothing in my post ever implied there was, so you must have read something into it.

Respected Contributor

Amazon is as well, they're also doing Cyber Monday.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

QVC and other retailers are greendy and have lost sight about what the holiday is about?

Perhaps some people have lost sight of what retailers actually are.  Retailers sell things to make money.  They do not exist for altrustic reasons, and they do not exist to celebrae or enforce your religious rituals. 

If you are offended by QVC or oher retailers, you simply do not have to watch or purchase.  If you want to find meaning in Christmas, you will ot find it at a retailers but i helping others or in your church.

Complaining because retailers sell thins to make money, though, is beyond silly.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't bother me.  I shop whenever I want.  The so-called "sales" (especially what QVC calls "sales") are meaningless to me.  If a retailer (on line or otherwise) does things that displease me, I take my business elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

QVC and other retailers are greendy and have lost sight about what the holiday is about?

Perhaps some people have lost sight of what retailers actually are.  Retailers sell things to make money.  They do not exist for altrustic reasons, and they do not exist to celebrae or enforce your religious rituals. 

If you are offended by QVC or oher retailers, you simply do not have to watch or purchase.  If you want to find meaning in Christmas, you will ot find it at a retailers but i helping others or in your church.

Complaining because retailers sell thins to make money, though, is beyond silly.

@KYTobyPerhaps some people have, but I haven't.  If you had read my entire first post on this thread carefully before going off on me as you usually do, KYTobey, you'd have seen that I know that.   By the way, your posts are very predictable.

Esteemed Contributor

I was not a fan of the Christmas shows that start in June/July but others were so good for them.

I find it perfectly reasonable to start offering sales now. It's November. It actually helps me to complete my shopping early. I do not like to be out in the hustle and bustle/madness after Thanksgiving.

I must also point out that I have been receiving e-mails from a lot of retailers promoting their sales/black Friday events.  I want to say that this started in early October.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I find it perfectly reasonable to start offering sales now. It's November.

They aren't really Black Friday sales though, are they? Then why call them that.