Respected Contributor

I was a vegetarian for many years, not vegan, but consumed no animal flesh or seafood.  Lots of people claim to be vegetarian, but eat chicken, turkey, and seafood.  Huh?  

Anyway, now I do eat small amounts of beef and everything mentioned above mostly at the direction of a dietician.  

Having said that, if an animal is slaughtered for human consumption, why should the skin be discarded?   Cattle are not primarily raised for their skin, but once butchered for food, why toss the skin?  

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I was a vegetarian for many years, not vegan, but consumed no animal flesh or seafood.  Lots of people claim to be vegetarian, but eat chicken, turkey, and seafood.  Huh?  

Anyway, now I do eat small amounts of beef and everything mentioned above mostly at the direction of a dietician.  

Having said that, if an animal is slaughtered for human consumption, why should the skin be discarded?   Cattle are not primarily raised for their skin, but once butchered for food, why toss the skin?  

Well to me, and probably many people it's just gross. Why carry stuff around in animal skin ?

Respected Contributor

Katchina624: Some faux leather is more expensive than leather. Especially cheap leather that we see a lot of on QVC.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind a faux leather handbag or jacket, but shoes are a different story, they just don't last. I'm not going to pay high end prices for throw away shoes. HSN sells faux leather handbags by the way.

Respected Contributor

dc-mc: Cars replaced horses, light bulbs replaced candles, computers replaced the typewriter. Get my drift?

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC SUGGESTIONS!

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

I would also love to see a program dedicated to faux leather.  Animals are slaughtered for their leather, it is not a "by product" as it brings in more money.  I have been vegan most of my life, but over the years I have become more aware/educated about the pain/suffering that has been perpetrated on animals.  I choose not to support these industries.  I understand that most people are immune to this reality because of their upbringing/cultural conditioning.  I am not here to judge or criticize, just to support any movement that supports life and compassion.

The "by-product" fallacy is frequently used to justify carnism.  Also, The most-cited argument is that leather is less cruel, because it's a byproduct of the meat industry. But this isn't really true. ... leather is most definitely not a byproduct, as it comes from newborn calves, or sometimes from calf fetuses.  Have you ever heard someone go on about the joy of "kid" leather.  The violent meat/leather industry are co-products and there is more money to be made with the leather production than the meat production.

We are not rational about our food/clothing choices.  Watch the TedX talk by Melanie Joy and you will begin to understand how we are immune to the feelings towards violence.  It is not your fault, it is your conditioning/culture.

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC SUGGESTIONS!

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

Well to me, and probably many people it's just gross. Why carry stuff around in animal skin ?

Yes, it is gross to wear an animal....just as gross to eat one. The leather industry and the meat industry are co-products, not by-products.  One is just as violent and inhumane as the other and we have a choice to not support violence.  You might want to watch a Ted X talk by Melanie Joy - Toward Rational Authentic Food Choice.

Respected Contributor

@ahoymate

Hmmm.  No.  Are you suggesting advanced breeds of livestock?