Respected Contributor

Re: QVC Revamping - Don’t just Pick on Hosts

NO 20 yr old is buying anything on QVC- Come on, can you really see someone in their 20s wearing D&Co r Susan Graver lol HILARIOUS!

Honored Contributor

No, 20 years olds are most likely not at all interested in D&C, Susan Graver, Quacker Factory or Louis Dell'Olio, just to name a few. Those brands certainly don't design for them either, so no love lost. 

But that's where the short-sightedness comes in.  QVC has lots of contemporary brands that never get shown on air.:

Bishop + Young

Haute Hippie Tribe

NOIZE

Bernardo

KUT from the Kloth

Just to name a few. Oh, and a lot of these brands online don't even have extended sizing, so it's quite obvious they are not looking at the masses.  

Trusted Contributor

QVC has millions of customers of all ages and they get new customers every day. I don't think the recent changes have as much to do with attracting a younger audience so much as they have to do with a decline in sales overall. There may be several reasons for this: the pandemic has affected many people's income;  also it has kept most people at home so that they don't need to buy new clothes or hard goods. Their food sales may be slow because more people have the time to cook at home and don't need to buy prepared food. Another factor is the processing time that QVC takes to ship the items and the backlog at UPS and USPS which adds days to the time it takes to actually receive the items. Again, this is COVID-related and not QVC's fault. 

I for one love QVC's clothes and I get loads of compliments from my  D&C, Isaac, Attitudes By Renee, Logo and others. It's all in how you style and accessorize. Some people, no matter how young they are, would look frumpy in Paris original and others look good in a flour sack. As for their prices, you get what you pay for. Sure, places like Old Navy, Ross, Marshall's, etc have cheaper clothes but they are mainly wasn 'n' toss; they don't even last a season. To get quality comparable to the Q you would spend a lot more from other retailers.

Finally, as for real sales, does anyome remember the Blowout Clearance from last year? There were some real bargains at fractions of the original prices, and yet there were complaints about have to pay for shipping. Some people always need something to complain about.

Trusted Contributor

I find myself ordering mostly from specific lines only - Kim Gravel, JAI, Lisa Mason, Vionic ...  And I am ordering equally from HSN and QVC.  During the lockdown, I wonder if Q sales plunged, stayed the same or improved.  It was hard to order if you didn't know money was definitely coming in.  These channels are going to be lean and mean for a while.  When is QVC going to adopt some of the HSN sales tactics - 20% off coupons, free shipping, all day sales for one shipping cost, etc.?

Occasional Contributor

Also, someone from the top made some bad decsions.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

NO 20 yr old is buying anything on QVC- Come on, can you really see someone in their 20s wearing D&Co r Susan Graver lol HILARIOUS!

@Tinkerbell3   I sure can see someone of any age wearing D&C, maybe not SG.  What is so outdated about jeans and tee shirts?  Maybe not every piece for every person but that is the American uniform.

What is this yammering about "natural" fabrics?  I doubt that most young women ever met an iron must less know how or how to set up an ironing board and those fabrics must be ironed.

Have you seen D&C'S "naturals" line?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

I find myself ordering mostly from specific lines only - Kim Gravel, JAI, Lisa Mason, Vionic ...  And I am ordering equally from HSN and QVC.  During the lockdown, I wonder if Q sales plunged, stayed the same or improved.  It was hard to order if you didn't know money was definitely coming in.  These channels are going to be lean and mean for a while.  When is QVC going to adopt some of the HSN sales tactics - 20% off coupons, free shipping, all day sales for one shipping cost, etc.?

You make excellent points. And thank you for mentioning Lisa Mason's line. I took a look at it and then clicked on the video for product J366660. My, what a wonderful vendor Ms. Mason is. QVC needs more vendors (& hosts) like her. She is knowledgeable and presents her product with ease and grace.

I look forward to QVC's revamping of its business. It's going to have to put itself into fighting form if it wants to successfully emerge from this pandemic. That is, of course, so much easier said than done. I do not pity the people who are making the decisions right now.

Valued Contributor

I consider myself part of the younger QVC crowd (in my 30s). I rarely buy clothes. The only brand I like is Isaac Mizrahi- those 24/7 pants are great for work! His prices have gone up recently and I refuse to pay for shipping so I haven't bought much lately. 

I also think the clothing offered is aimed at an older audience with a more classic style or people who want to hide figure flaws.  To me it seems insulting-hide your love handles, hide your bum, camoflage this. I think women should be encouraged to be more confident. No need to hide what you've got but show it off. Not all our clothes have to be loose, longer hem in the back, print that makes you look thin, etc. 

Super Contributor

i shop Bob Mackie or Linea or Rene and Diamonique. But to be honest prices are creeping up there.  i live on social security so i have to be careful. my daughters 43 and 45 can't afford the Q's high prices. with the economy being what it is, they have to watch every dime, too. shortly after covid hit and the economy collapsed, i noted one of QVC's TSV's was a couple hundred dollars. i thought it was ill timed. they should be more sensitive to peoples needs right now, lowering prices or selling lots of clearance. i appreciate it costs alot of money to run a shopping network, but having q1, q2 q3 was a big waste of it if you ask me. who needs all these repeats. 

Occasional Contributor

Millenial here, I will say some of you are dead on and some of these comments need to take it easy on your stereotyping. We don't all like pink, we don't all live with our parents etc. etc. Some of us are doctors, own homes, have no debt, have savings & investments and are building families etc.

You are correct, I can not see anyone around my age (30) buying the clothing they push on their programming (D&C, SG, Logo). However, what I buy and I know many people buy (especially because of influencers on instagram) are beauty and home products. i.e. things they already use but can buy largers or multiples for a better price then Sephora or Nordstrom. So Isle of Paradise, Tarte, Vitamix, barefoot dreams, Vince Camuto, tatcha, IT, Dyson & Le Creuset. 

That is just my opinion but from what I see on social media that is what people my age are buying via QVC/HSN. Many people 20-35, our medium of buying is online and using social media or our phones, so I'm not shocked they keep all the 'older' brands on the TV and push hipper brands via social media.