Contributor

QVC Revamping - Don’t just Pick on Hosts

[ Edited ]

If QVC is making changes to attract a new ( younger) audience I don't understand why they are focusing on hosts and not on some product lines.  Let me clarify that I'm 59 - old enough that prefers style to trends but young enough to know that I am not yet ready for the styles of Susan Graver, Quacker Factory, Denim & Co., Joan Rivers.       I don't need -  never did - any bedazzled, embroidered , or liquid knitted items!

Recently I buy a lot of Kim Gravel..  While  I do like many of her items - it is mostly because it seems to be the only choice lately .  However her styles are best for a curvier woman.  

If QVC wants to make it in this new world of on-line shopping they will need to  improve & expand their lines to include more modern ( not trendy) lines.  This will mean evaluating  & dropping a few that are old & tired -- or too wacky ....... really does anyone buy Logo?  

There is only so much air time .......So QVC - don't just "clean house" with hosts - look at your product lines too!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC Revamping - Don’t just Pick on Hosts

@Matchup  I totally agree.I don't think the problem is the hosts.I think it's that they push the same stuff over & over again.

Honored Contributor

@Matchup    I think QVC has the facts and figures on sales and is a better position than a casual customer to judge which lines are successful.  I agree many things are old and outdated but for all I know, people are buying them.  Ultimately, the CEO will have to answer to the stockholders if the things buyers choose don't sell.

FYI, the layoff included many more people than hosts.  Perhaps some buyers were included?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I can't speak for others but I know for a fact my 26 year old granddaughter wouldn't dream of shopping on QVC. We've actually laughed about that! She said "No way" after watching a few minutes with me a couple of times about a year ago!

Honored Contributor

I have been researching Millennials and paying attention to new products coming in.  

While QVC holds on to designers like Susan Graver for now, it's very noticeable to me, they are focusing on younger women and men, too. 

More jean brands, except Millennials prefer Levis.  Guess what, QVC just added Levis.  

Then there's athleisure, sneakers, backpacks, designer handbags in the $300-$350 range.  A new dress designer offering mid-thigh length.  There were even short shorts offered this summer.

They're into stylish comfort shoes, fashion sneakers, and "some" like to dress up for work. 

Toys including stuffed animals, children's clothes, children's furniture, maternity clothes, games.

They are into exercise, but not in gyms, so expect to see more exercise equipment.

They don't like to eat out, prefer to order in, is that the reason QVC is showing so much food or is it Covid-19.  We'll see.  

Oh, let's not forget their favorite color is pink...the reason for the Christmas trees with pink ornaments.  This year add purple, lilac, and lavender.  There were some lavender ornaments on those trees.

Their decorating style is minimalist, so decor might not be a favorite, but I think QVC will continue its decor programming because for now it's a moneymaker.  

They prefer to order online, so maybe we won't see so much of this on TV, but some do watch TV.  

There are 6 different types of Millennials, all with their own likes and dislikes making this generation difficult to please for retailers. Two of these categories are more traditional.  There's a big difference between 24 and late 30 year old Millennials.  The older ones tastes are changing and they don't like those of the younger.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

What I see when I tune in is products that are higher in price than they ever have been.  I don't care your age it would seem that every generation would not want to overpay.  

I  am decluttering, took me a long time, so in my case the last thing I would want is more to store.  But then apparently I am not the target age.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Foxee Very well said.   While I agree they have made progress with some new product lines as you mentioned- there is still a lot of air time chewed up by some of the same old vendors.  Since product lines like Susan Graver & Denim & Co. are QVC lines - I doubt very much we will ever see those go.    

Honored Contributor

I've never been able to figure out why the younger generations would like Q clothing lines.  Even when I first started watching Q 26 years ago, I found most of it unappealing. I still find the clothing lines to be fuddy-duddy, gawdy prints, and in the wrong fabrics. Wearing liquid knit and most other polyester clothing makes me think of my grandma.  I find liquid knit (aka polyester) to be like wearing a plastic bag, especially in the summer.  I want more cotton, more breathable fabrics.  

Valued Contributor

Contrary to what some of you are saying,I get compliments from all ages on MY QVC Clothes..When I wear anything ANYBODY..all ages ask me where did I get that. I wear Kim Gravel..same thing..I wear Lori Goldstein same thing  Barefoot Dream too.Young and old..My Dooney bags are always loved..So I guess I must be living in a different world.and I live in New York City..