Honored Contributor

QVC IS SELLING "DRONES"

[ Edited ]

QVC is selling drones for $59.98. I don't get all the hype re. using these devices for recreational purposes. Can someone enlighten me? Do you agree that these should be sold as toys?

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

The one you are talking about actually has cameras on it.  Saw it this morning.

Drones are being used a lot now (mostly for play but some for other things).  It is interesting if you look into it.

I saw a show (Nightline, I believe) where FAA just came out with a set of rules for people using drones.

There are thousands of them that have been sold.  Most are toys.  Did you read about the kid who managed to shoot bullets out of one?  He is no longer doing it.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

Who knows but I guess its like a toy helicopter or car.

My neighbor lost one recently, he flew it too far

Valued Contributor

The vendor finally mentioned there is a 5 mile radius to stay away from airports. But many people, myself included, would not like a drone with a camera flying over my house, my kids, etc. And what's the guarantee that the operator will be able to control exactly where the drones go or land when the drone is no longer in their sight. I have seen news clips of people spraying the drones with the garden hose or actually shooting them out of the sky. I'm guessing after the holiday season when drones are given as gifts that there will be a lot more discussion/news about the concerns. 

Honored Contributor

Drones have been wonderful for film makers.  There are always a bunch of shows on about Alaska and I see high shots that I'm sure were taken from drones.  Thousands of dollars cheaper than hiring a helicopter which might not even go to some very remote areas.  Just imagine the possibilities for the film industry.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have no idea of the cost of drones e;sewhere, but I do think the majority of the drones used near airports and other place they just shouldn't be used came from some place other than QVC.

Is it surprising that some of the many drones sold are used recklessly? No -  it's just one more example of actions by people who think laws and the common good don't apply to them.

Honored Contributor

We actually have a drone store in Albuquerque, and I'm sure other cities have them too.  They've used them to search for lost and injured hikers in rough terrain in the mountains.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624I never realized there were actual drone stores!

There are plenty of wonderful uses for drones -  and sadly, plenty of idiots who misuse them.

Honored Contributor

I had been mulling this over for a few months (HSN was selling one for $10 more in the summer) for a Xmas gift for 2 nephews.  I have finally come to the conclusion that the average person, unless they already had a lot of practice with remote controlled devices, would lose these cheap ones or crash them somewhere within a week, i.e. money flushed.

I don't think kids, even teens, could keep these cheapies going. And more expensive ones in the $200+ range would have the same caveats. They'd just be more expensive to lose or break.  I think they could be fun, but only for adults who knew what they were doing and followed the rules of common sense and tried not to invade privacy - and you know what the likelihood of that would be.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I don't think kids, even teens, could keep these cheapies going. And more expensive ones in the $200+ range would have the same caveats. They'd just be more expensive to lose or break.  I think they could be fun, but only for adults who knew what they were doing and followed the rules of common sense and tried not to invade privacy - and you know what the likelihood of that would be.

I agree they could be fun, but like BB guns, they could get a kid in a lot of trouble