Honored Contributor

Re: QVC/HSN/ZULILLY-QURATE 3RD QUARTER RESULTS!

[ Edited ]

I wonder how Q's quarter compares to retail in general as well to some of the big name online retailers.  I'll have to look it up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart

TJMAX Cos wont announce their results until 11/20....Nordstrom is later too..........

TJMAX last quarter 

The TJX Companies, Inc. Reports Above-Plan Q2 FY19 Results with Comp Sales Growth of 6% and EPS of $1.17; Raises Full-Year EPS and Comp Guidance
  • Consolidated comp store sales increased 6% over last year’s 3% increase
  • Net sales increased 12% to $9.3 billion over last year’s 6% increase

TARGET--

robust U.S. economy is spurring more people to open their wallets, boosting retailers such as Home Depot Inc. and Nordstrom Inc. Earlier this month, Walmart Inc. said its quarterly sales rose at the fastest rate in over a decade. Some retailers also have been picking up market share from competitors such as J.C. Penney Co. and Toys “R” Us Inc. that have closed locations.

Target said its comparable sales, meaning those from stores that have been open for at least 13 months and from digital channels, increased 6.5% in the quarter ended Aug. 4, representing the company’s strongest quarterly performance since 2005.

Total revenue climbed 6.9% to $17.78 billion, and the company raised its full-year earnings outlook. This was Target’s fifth straight quarter of increasing comparable sales.

HOME DEPOT-Same-store sales rose 4.8% globally and 5.4% in the United States.

WALMART-

Walmart U.S. Q3 comp sales1 grew 3.4% and Walmart U.S. eCommerce sales grew 43%, Q3 GAAP EPS of $0.58; Adjusted EPS2 of $1.08, Walmart now expects FY'19 GAAP EPS of $2.26 to $2.36, Walmart raises guidance for FY'19 Adjusted EPS2 to $4.75 to $4.85 Total revenue was $124.9 billion, an increase of $1.7 billion, or 1.4%. Excluding currency 2 , total revenue was $126.1 billion, an increase of $2.9 billion, or 2.4%. "We have momentum in the business as we execute our plan and benefit from a favorable economic environment in the U.S. We're accelerating innovation and utilizing technology to shape the future of retail. We're making shopping at Walmart faster and easier. Our associates are equipped with the tools to serve customers better than ever before, and they're doing a great job. With the holidays approaching, customers can count on Walmart to save them money, and we'll also provide busy families with another important gift -- time back in their day." Doug McMillon President and CEO, Walmart Walmart U.S. comp sales1 increased 3.4% in the period and 6.1% on a two-year stack with broad-based strength and market share gains in key categories, according to Nielsen and The NPD Group.

Walmart U.S. omnichannel progress continues as grocery pickup is now available in nearly 2,100 locations and grocery delivery is available in nearly 600 locations. Sam's Club comp sales1 increased 3.2%3 , and eCommerce sales grew 32%. Membership trends continue to improve.

DILLARDS-

Dillard’s Chief Executive Officer William T. Dillard, II, stated, "While we are encouraged by our 3% comparable sales performance, this was a disappointing quarter as markdowns weighed heavily on gross margin, particularly in the first month. However, operating performance improved as the quarter progressed and sales turned positive. We also invested $54 million in share repurchases during the quarter.”

For earnings history and earnings-related data on Dillard's (DDS) click here.

ULTA- Retail comparable sales growth was 4.4%, including salon comparable sales growth of 3.3%. E-commerce sales grew 42.2%. 

AMAZON-Published 3:30 PM ET Thu, 25 Oct 2018  Updated 6:19 AM ET Fri, 26 Oct 2018

Amazon's third-quarter earnings beat Street estimates, but its revenue and fourth-quarter outlook fell short of expectations, causing the stock to plunge in extended trading.

Here are the most important numbers:

• EPS: $5.75 vs. $3.14 estimated, according to Refinitiv
  • Revenue: $56.6 billion vs. $57.10 billion estimated, according to Refinitiv
  • AWS revenue: $6.68 billion vs. $6.71 billion estimated, according to FactSet

The company gave fourth-quarter revenue guidance in the range of $66.5 billion and $72.5 billion, well-below consensus of $73.79 billion. The fourth quarter is the biggest and most important sales period for Amazon because of the holidays.

Total revenue increased 29 percent from last year. North American sales were $34.3 billion, up 35 percent from last year, while international sales grew just 13 percent to $15.5 billion. AWS continued to show strong growth, jumping 46 percent in sales, although it narrowly missed expectations. Amazon's "other" category, mostly comprised of its burgeoning advertising business, jumped 123 percent to $2.5 billion in revenue.

Struggling --MACYS

Here's what Macy's reported
* Revenue: $5.40 billion vs. $5.41 billion expected 
* Same-store sales: up 3.3 percent, on an owned plus licensed basis, vs. growth of 2.8 percent expected

"We are ready for the fourth quarter," CEO Jeff Gennette told CNBC. "I think the backdrop for consumer spending is good, their confidence is strong, the dotcom business is really humming. … For stores, we are going into the fourth quarter in a healthy place with momentum."

Macy's reported fiscal third-quarter net income of $62 million, or 20 cents per share, up from $30 million, or 10 cents per share, a year earlier. Excluding one-time items, Macy's earned 27 cents, ahead of the 14 cents expected by analysts polled by Refinitiv.

Net sales climbed to $5.40 billion from $5.28 billion one year ago, falling roughly in line with analysts' expectations for $5.41 billion. The company said digital sales were up a double-digit percentage, fueled by growth of sales made via mobile devices. Macy's is on track to reach $1 billion in mobile sales by the end of the year.

Sales at stores open for at least 12 months were up 3.3 percent, marking the fourth consecutive quarter of same-store sales growth for Macy's, and surpassing Wall Street expectations for growth of 2.8 percent.

Struggline JCP--

PLANO, Texas, Nov. 15, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP) today announced financial results for its fiscal third quarter ended Nov. 3, 2018. Comparable sales decreased 5.4 % for the third quarter. Net loss for the quarter was $151 million or ($0.48) per share.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I notice that The Qurate's financials didn't mention how well or not QVC's apparel is doing. Apparel didn't seem to be king at HSN either, only Zulily would seem to have done well and that may be due to prices as well as their no return policies.

And I wonder if QVC's increase in selling of accessories would be due to cherry picking (off) Vince Camuto from HSN? 

The fact that people don't want to buy jewelry and electronics at either tv network is telling. Who wants overpriced silver and costume jewelry or old, outdated electronics?

Home goods aren't something most people who already have furnished their dwellings are wanting to buy, especially when they are looking to declutter and simplify.

And rampant consumerism is not how a lot of millennials want to live their lives so they aren't going to buy off an overpriced shopping network. They are looking for a deal elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

I notice that The Qurate's financials didn't mention how well or not QVC's apparel is doing. Apparel didn't seem to be king at HSN either, only Zulily would seem to have done well and that may be due to prices as well as their no return policies.

And I wonder if QVC's increase in selling of accessories would be due to cherry picking (off) Vince Camuto from HSN? 

The fact that people don't want to buy jewelry and electronics at either tv network is telling. Who wants overpriced silver and costume jewelry or old, outdated electronics?

Home goods aren't something most people who already have furnished their dwellings are wanting to buy, especially when they are looking to declutter and simplify.

And rampant consumerism is not how a lot of millennials want to live their lives so they aren't going to buy off an overpriced shopping network. They are looking for a deal elsewhere.

@TY

Yes, I would like to know how apparel is doing too, QVC keeps raising the prices and I can find things of comparable quality for less!!!--QVC's clothing isnt competitive. And all Qs clothing lines look the same

Maybe the reason they dont disclose it was because in 2016 it was mentioned a clothing line was down in sales but they didnt mention which one which created a lot speculation by the media, wall street, and of course by Q customers.....Greg Maffei took a beating by these groups. 

The TJMax Cos are doing well because even millenials like their merchandise and most important their prices (I posted a thread on this awhile back).

And regarding the home category being down in sales at QVC---- a household may buy 1 or 2 say vacuums---they last several years---not something you replace often---but look how often QVC presents them---people that watch QVC dont need or want anymore...same thing with expensive mixers and blenders...........same thing with pressure washers, and other expensive home products .....and then home vendors all make the same thing---how many vendors need to sell lanterns???? 

I agree Q's jewelry is way off the mark, its basically fashion jewelry at exorbitant prices....and Im sorry I dont care for all that diamonique stuff either!!!!  

I find it somewhat amusing that the electronics that do sell well are from their competitor, AMAZON---Gee QVC great idea to help a competitor thats trying to put all of its retail competition out of business....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@pinkmochi wrote:

I would be interested in some kind of Shark Tank tie-in show with products from Shark Tank. Not an hour of O'Leary wine or Lori Greiner, but new and interesting items that the sharks have invested in. I'd like to see innovative products instead of the same old, same old, like others have mentioned. It seems like the products they choose to air ad naseum are already ubiquitous. 

@pinkmochi.  Go check out Zulily.  They are featuring Shark Tank products.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Spurt, I can always count on you to dig this stuff up for us.  

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting results. The complaints on the forum are spot on but QVC must think we are not worth paying any attention to. How about the kitchen and food category? They devote a lot of time to David, Mary, and processed food shows.

They irritated me so much with their bracelets people pray over for blessings and the sob stories from hosts on spiritual themed pieces that I lost all respect for their jewelry selling tactics. I can’t remember when I last purchased QVC jewelry. Their designer silver lines took over and pushed the prices beyond what I am willing to pay.

I think they have let their air time be hijacked by the people waving $ in their faces to have hour-long infomercials. Once that started, the variety disappeared and we get mind numbing hours of watching a model lay on a pillow or a bed and see vacuums suction up billiard balls. The TSVs are shown incessantly, yet now you can continue to get the leftovers for several days after. That dilutes the urgency to impulse buy and makes the hours devoted to it seem more senseless.

On a positive note, why do I shop here? I like the extra length I can get in a regular top—almost 2 inches longer—than the brands in department stores. I can find a much bigger selection of shoes in my size, again limited in department stores. They also have makeup configurations that are a good deal, like the nice IT brushes they add to foundation or blush for basically a couple of dollars. 

I hope management will pay attention to the feedback on the board. And thanks to the Q Social Team members who do pass along suggestions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SunValley wrote:

Interesting results. The complaints on the forum are spot on but QVC must think we are not worth paying any attention to. How about the kitchen and food category? They devote a lot of time to David, Mary, and processed food shows.

They irritated me so much with their bracelets people pray over for blessings and the sob stories from hosts on spiritual themed pieces that I lost all respect for their jewelry selling tactics. I can’t remember when I last purchased QVC jewelry. Their designer silver lines took over and pushed the prices beyond what I am willing to pay.

I think they have let their air air time be hijacked by the people waving $ in their faces to have hour-long infomercials. Once that started, the variety disappeared and we get mind numbing hours of watching a model lay on a pillow or a bed and see vacuums suction up billiard balls. The TSVs are shown incessantly, yet now you can continue to get the leftovers for several days after. That dilutes the urgency to impulse buy and makes the hours devoted to it seem more senseless.

On a positive note, why do I shop here? I like the extra length I can get in a regular top—almost 2 inches longer—than the brands in department stores. I can find a much bigger selection of shoes in my size, again limited in department stores. They also have makeup configurations that are a good deal, like the nice IT brushes they add to foundation or blush for basically a couple of dollars. 

I hope management will pay attention to the feedback on the board. And thanks to the Q Social Team members who do pass along suggestions.

@SunValley

I totally agree with what you say about QVC becoming enamored with infommerical vendors and about how variety took a big hit when that happened......

And OMG the TSV presentations....I mean really--- THREE TIMES--- in ONE show (channel changer!!!)

And yes all the prepared food that now dominates ITKWD and ITKWM (another channel changer)---QVC wants to dive into that market when surely there are local prepared food options that are available to customers and just as good and cheaper too, and most cities now offer same day delivery to your door, at least in my city.....Id rather see/shop/buy UNIQUE kitchen items and gadgets like I used to....

Evine became known as the "watch channel" because thats all they seem to show all the time---and that channel is not doing well at all---I guess potential customers got tired of always seeing watches and stopped tuning in....and it could happen to QVC....

And like you said there are still some good things about QVC, which is why I still stick around......  Some vendors I DO like that still deliver some unique quality products....And I do like the live demos.......I just see a lot of room for improvement and innovation as I shop at other retailers locally and online that QVC could and should adopt, and I am interested in keeping QVC a viable shopping option for me........

Respected Contributor

@Spurt While posters’ complaints range from the trivial or ridiculous to actual meaningful feedback, they have one thing in common—the QVC shopping experience pulled them in—they watch and have purchased. You are right, we want to continue shopping here and QVC needs to give us a reason to stick around. While they are not as easily tagged as Evine as a one product channel, I see a lot of comments about QVC becoming the IT or Josie Maran channel, so it’s begun. They have a huge and varied inventory but showcase only a tiny sliver on air, and the repetitive showing of the TSV within one show takes away even more diversity of products. It’s like Ground Hog Day.

As I stated in an earlier post, I do shop here, and vendor input and video demos are very helpful. Far superior to the experience of catalog sales and other online sites such as Macy’s.

@Beth-QVC Please review these comments and, if possible, forward them to management. I believe these are thoughtful observations from posters who shop here and want QVC to thrive.