Respected Contributor

Re: QVC France bites the dust

@RetRN wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

Really...? Can you imagine trying to sell LOGO over there?

LOL, no I can not. The French spend on quality clothing and take excellent care of it. It is classic and lasts for years. They know how to accessorize beautifully. It is truly a case of less is more. 

A French women dressed in layer after crazy later? No way they have that 'air of sophistication' about them.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

A Canadian company (Northern Reflections) closed all of their stores in the USA around 20 years ago ... I purchased a few items at a local Mall in Frederick MD during their closeout sale.  Their jackets, pants, tops are still like-new today, and still wearing!   Clothes were manufactured in Canada, mostly 100% cotton.  Can still order on line (no tax), but >$17 to ship to USA so I never ordered.

My 'made in China', Vietnam, etc. clothes are usually wearable for 2-3 years.  I believe the French want quality just like me.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@Spurt 

I’m wondering how many of those other QVC overseas ventures are in trouble too.

The U.K. leaving the E.U. has got to be impacting QVC negatively with all the uncertainty around how and when brexit takes place. I imagine the last thing consumers want to buy are clothes or makeup when they are thinking there may be shortages of food and medicine.

And why would those other shopping networks in Germany and Italy be any more successful than the France one?

@TY 

You make some great observations.....

It's not only Europe hurting, Japan wasn't doing too well for awhile, but it improved...And the flucation in the foreign currency exchange rate must drive them crazy....And interesting we are starting to see vendors from the UK come to the U.S......

This is from the 4th quarter and full year results from QVC International :

In the fourth quarter, QVC International experienced year-over-year constant currency(3) sales declines primarily in accessories and apparel, which were partially offset by gains mainly in beauty. For the full year, QVC International realized gains primarily in beauty and home, partially offset by declines principally in apparel.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaBreeze wrote:

A Canadian company (Northern Reflections) closed all of their stores in the USA around 20 years ago ... I purchased a few items at a local Mall in Frederick MD during their closeout sale.  Their jackets, pants, tops are still like-new today, and still wearing!   Clothes were manufactured in Canada, mostly 100% cotton.  Can still order on line (no tax), but >$17 to ship to USA so I never ordered.

My 'made in China', Vietnam, etc. clothes are usually wearable for 2-3 years.  I believe the French want quality just like me.

I have two cardigans I bought in our mall in 1991 from this company, and they are in perfect condition. I had no idea they were Canadian. Too bad the shipping is so high.

Honored Contributor

I am a bit surprised there even was a QVC in France.  QVC seems to me to be the opposite of everything European.

Honored Contributor

QVC now has:

QVC UK

QVC Germany

QVC Italy

QVC China

QVC Japan

They don’t just plop the same QVC US products at the other QVC companies around the world.  That would not be good business sense. They may have a small number of overlapping products, but they mostly have items that are relevant for the country in which they are selling.  Their research tells them what will most likely do well and what will not.  

It works the same way in reverse — QVC US does not get large amounts of what the other entities may offer in other parts of the world.

Honored Contributor

Things are tight in France, I think no matter what the Q is selling, the French are not buying now. If the Q was selling LOGO in France you know the hosts would have mentioned it, another incentive to buy. I like Lori and I like her costume jewelry, it's expensive, but it is so well made.My sister thought my crystal brooch from LOGO Links looked like real diamonds, but of course she knows I could never afford anything like that in real diamonds.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe I missed it...how long were they in France before closing?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to read this for the employees that lost their job.  No matter what country you live in most people need to be able to make a living.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

France + QVC. Who thought that up?

The reason for those small wardrobes? Clothing  that isn't "fast fashion" is really expensive. It's better to buy quality. QVC is essentially fast fashion. How else can they get you to buy clothing you don't need?

French women don't do "matchy-matchy" with shoes and handbags. That's an American thing designed to get women to buy more.

Some of this, though, is simply not because they're French. It's a smaller country, one which had developed, out of necessity, more of a culture of thift. All those wars, scarcity, limited resources. Their sensibilities have been shaped by this history.  Of course, society is changing.

They do have H&M and Zara,  But what you find in those stores isn't what you find on QVC. 

The only people that I can think of who would buy from QVC in France are American expats and maybe someone who wanted American stuff. 

RIP, QVC France. I never heard of you.