Respected Contributor

QVC Founder Joseph Segel Dies at 88

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Founder Joseph Segel Dies at 88

Rest in Peace Mr. Segel.  Jane's tribute was so nice.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Leah made mention of his passing at the end of AM Style this morning also.  Then they showed the video of Jane Treacy, followed by Kristen and Alberti who also spoke of him before they started their show.

Honored Contributor

R.I.P Joseph Segel! 

Joseph Segel had a great vision for QVC and then Mike George and Company seems to have taken QVC off track...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@Spurt - I agree with you.  If Mr. Segal had still been involved with QVC for the last decade, we wouldn't be seeing the problems we are seeing now.  He had a specific vision for QVC and would have kept the focus on the words QVC stands for -  Quality, Value and Convenience.  Nowadays it seems only convenience remains.

I saw Jane's tribute to him.  Too bad QVC doesn't any longer represent what he envisioned.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

R.I.P Joseph Segel! 

Joseph Segel had a great vision for QVC and then Mike George and Company seems to have taken QVC off track...

Segel demanded that the presenters sell by informing, not pressuring the viewers about the product.  This meant that presenters would have to study each product, explain the many benefits of the product, and know the product's sales history in order to make the sell more informative and entertaining.

He forbid the hard sell and, unlike the Home Shopping Network, established that customers could purchase at any time, with no last minute price cuts, and no high pressure tactics. "

Honored Contributor

RIP Mr. Segel.

He had a great vision when founding QVC and those days of course, are long gone but the good memories of the early days of Q come to mind!

(I just learned the wife of the founder of HSN lives near me!  She has 24/7 sheriff posted outside her compound.  And what a compound it is!!!)

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL 

Convenience?  What convenience?  Shipping that takes weeks?  Difficulty with returns?  Difficulty using gift cards?  Not convenient anymore either, IMO. 

Honored Contributor

Lovely article written about him in the Phila Business Journal. 

Honored Contributor