Esteemed Contributor

I don't do onions in meatballs.....but def in meatloaf!

Valued Contributor

I am Italian and I never put onions in my Meatballs and neither  did my mother. I would put onions in my Sauce..and we never put onions in our Meatloaf either. My mother's family was from Calabria and my Fathers family was from Sicily....No onions..But loke someone said..it's probably not bad..

Honored Contributor

There are people who put garlic in everything, often to the point that's all you taste. I pretty much hate a "garlicky" taste. I don't like highly spiced meats and sausages - salami, pepperoni, kielbasa, etc. or a "peppery" taste to anything. I LOVE onions. 

Never say never, but I've pretty much given up ordering edibles from QVC. I live in a rural, hick-y (non-gourmet) area, but even we have everything QVC sells via local fish & meat markets, Costco's offerings on just about any food product are hard to beat for both taste and value, and we have bakeries and places to buy cheesecake too. If I want to bake my own fresh croissants I get them at TJs. Leave them out overnight to rise, pop them in the oven and - fresh hot not-French butter, not French flour or milk croissants and not imported-from-France prices either. 

But the main reason I don't plan to buy anything in future is that the close-ups onscreen, the appearance - which is what people base their buying decision on - is NOT the appearance, taste, texture, "bursting with", "stuffed", "fresh" food that I've received. Invariably, I've received half-stale, less-than-half-the-filling, not-the-mix-ratio-shown-on-TV food that was sooooo not worth the money. It might have been worth the money - probably would have been in most cases - but because the food received was NOT as represented on-air, it was not even "tasty" based on my non-urban local sources, let alone worth high prices because it's "special."

What's special I guess is that QVC buyers apparently still believe, after all this time, that what the company brings for demo is what ordering customers receive. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

Love those TJ almond croissants!  I was there today and managed to walk by them - big accomplishment for me.

PS:  Funny story - a friend of mine husband took the croissants out of the freezer for her but neglected to take them out of the package.  Middle of the night the package exploded - further scary thing is he is a physician!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Moonchilde

Love those TJ almond croissants!  I was there today and managed to walk by them - big accomplishment for me.

@DiAnne, the almond ones are my favorite. When I was working, I'd leave them out overnight and bake them when I got up Saturday morning.  With cold-brew coffee & milk - treat after an evil work week.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My family is Italian from Northern Italy and we always put onions in our meatballs.  IMO My family, Me included,  makes the best meatballs I have ever tasted.

I do not buy meatballs and would never order them in a restaurant or from a shopping channel  Most homemade meatballs made by others are tasteless, And have the consistency of mush. I hate a soft mushy mouth feel. Gross!

Honored Contributor

We are Sicilian (all 4 grandparents) and we don't put onions in our meatballs.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

In CT, you can buy Mama Mancini's meatballs in the grocery stores and they are sold at a very reasonable price -- not $66.

Respected Contributor

I could never make meatloaf taste good.  Then I decided to make it exactly the same way I make my meatballs.  Best meatloaf ever and NO onions for this half Italian girl.

Valued Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

In CT, you can buy Mama Mancini's meatballs in the grocery stores and they are sold at a very reasonable price -- not $66.

Same here @coffee drinker, I live across the LI Sound from you.