Honored Contributor

Re: QVC FIRST QUARTER FINANCIAL RESULTS 2017

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

The complaints are undoubtedly the result of them inundating customers with apparel and beauty programing because they are the ones making money.  I wonder how much the Wen fiasco has hurt Q's bottom line?  I hope they wise up and de-emphasize the Christmas in July romp this year. 

@Kachina624

They should have left Christmas In July to July 25th (or at the most a weekend in July like they used to)  and then they didnt show Christmas stuff again until the end of October.  Sadly Christmas now runs from the first of July all the way until December 24th....and they show the same things so customers really get sick of it all and if thats bad enough many of the same things year after year and they tend to ignore Fall, Halloween/Thanksgiving decor and such altogether  (except for the food for Thanksgiving)...........  

I admit I do like Christmas In July but only limited shows: Valerie Parr Hill, Jim Shore (makes a rare appearance), Home Reflections, and perhaps a Home With Jill Christmas Decor Edition (even though I dont care much for the host)......However, I hate an dont watch all the stale toy shows (the flashpads, remote cars and drones, and scooters and hoover boards, pedicure products, hair styling items, Poo-pourri and all the rest of the junk they show).....................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Interesting--I would think the items returned most often would be clothing and beauty items.   Of course they have so many shows and TSV's of those items, they should be selling a lot.

Honored Contributor

"New customer acquisition strategies"

$5?

I hope there's more to that strategy.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

QVC's prices were higher, thus the increased margins. They laid off people at their call centers and at their main headquarters, thus less payroll.

Not a surprise that people are not buying expensive (and outdated) electronics or expensive jewelry either. People are going where there's a deal.

For Zulily --

"

zulily

"While sales came in lower than expected, we were primarily challenged by comping the performance of a few large brands year-over-year"

Huh? Challenged by comping the performance of a few large brands -- what the heck does that doublespeak mean?

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

QVC's prices were higher, thus the increased margins. They laid off people at their call centers and at their main headquarters, thus less payroll.

Not a surprise that people are not buying expensive (and outdated) electronics or expensive jewelry either. People are going where there's a deal.

For Zulily --

"

zulily

"While sales came in lower than expected, we were primarily challenged by comping the performance of a few large brands year-over-year"

Huh? Challenged by comping the performance of a few large brands -- what the heck does that doublespeak mean?

@TY

comping can refer to a retail company's same-store sales compared to the previous year and is used by analysts to make apples to apples comparisons from year to year. Specifically, comps compare a company's revenue growth based on the sales.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@TY1

comping can refer to a retail company's same-store sales compared to the previous year and is used by analysts to make apples to apples comparisons from year to year. Specifically, comps compare a company's revenue growth based on the sales.

@Spurt

So what large brands would be the ones that Zulily is talking about here?

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@TY

@Spurt

So what large brands would be the ones that Zulily is talking about here?

@TY

Sorry I dont have any idea......I wish I knew....it could be QVC brands that they now offer on Zullily ....but I dont  know......................

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt

Thanks for your insights. I think you're probably right about it being QVC brands being sold on Zulily.

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

@Spurt

Thanks for your insights. I think you're probably right about it being QVC brands being sold on Zulily.

@TY

I could be wrong it was just a guess......I do know that QVC bough Zulily to try to get the attention of the younger demographic, they offer kid's clothes and other categories that QVC doesnt that might appeal to young moms etc............

Honored Contributor

Regardless of how the rest of retail is doing, a several percent loss of revenue, particularly when viewed as part of what appears to be a consistent downward sprial over time, is nothing for a CEO to be comfortable with... 

As for Zulily, I'm not much of a fan anyway... Not sure I find their pricing to be all that special and their return policy stinks, but yes, I increasingly see QVC's stale brands all over Zulily. I guess they're determined to take Zulily down with the rest of the ship...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...