Frequent Contributor

I am new to the boards so this has probably been discussed before.  I always found it amazing that the hosts claimed to own so many QVC items.  THEN, I was watching Amy's unboxing on facebook and she mentioned her 30 percent QVC employee discount.  OMG!  I would own a lot of QVC merch with that discount.  Every time I watch a show now I am always calculating what the item would cost with the QVC employee discount.  

Trusted Contributor

I doubt they use the discount that much. They get a lot of free samples from vendors. 

QVC Customer Care
Valued Contributor

I worked in retail clothing for 20 years. In that period of time I worked for three different companies. One company gave employees 25%, one gave 30% and the third gave 50%. The company that gave 50% was because we had to wear their clothing. If you were buying a gift you got 30%. And believe me they knew if it wasn't for you. So, to me, 30% sounds about right. I figured the QVC employees got some kind of discount.

Honored Contributor

@Flyer98  Many companies give their employees discounts.

Honored Contributor

@NEvans2   thanks for your input.  I've known women who worked retail more for the discount than the pay -  at least it seemed that way.

A tv shopping host affects far more people than a brick and mortar sales associate, so it makes sense to me that those who sell big are treated well by their employers and their vendors.  

Frequent Contributor

I have never worked retail.  I am aware retailers give discounts.  I was just surprised it was that much.  It does make sense because QVC would want their hosts to talk about how many of everything they personally own.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Flyer98  If you are thinking about it  that much, perhaps you should apply for a QVC job.

Frequent Contributor

@Pearlee That would be a loooong commute. And since I have no retail experience, I don't think I'd stand a chance with all the layoffs.

Honored Contributor

It's a marketing strategy.  I'm sure they shop but some of them claim to own multiples of everything they sell because they know it boosts sales.