Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

QVC AND ALL THE CHANGES AND SHOWS AND HOSTS

Okay, I've written some critical comments of late about QVC and rightly so because so many others agree.  I used to have QVC on all the time to tell you the truth mainly because I don't have to deal with commercials and the news is extremely depressing right now in our time.  I just wish QVC would do a few things:

1. Add new items.

2. Lower their prices.  They say they are competitive but they are definitely not!  And pricing has gone way up over the years. If they want customers back and more customers added, they need to be more competitive with their pricing.

3. Stop this new "cutesy" stuff on the sets and with the hosts. It is a turn off.  I am sure management is forcing some of them to do this but others are just naturally annoying.

4. Add more variety in your programming!  Of late, it is just constant Gourmet Holiday, a gazillion David show's, tech/computer shows, Bose shows (please stop), and Amy Stran with PM Style (please change the host, not being mean but she is just too much to take). Oh, and LOGO (I posted elsewhere that this line is the biggest mystery to me. I think the clothes are ugly but they all sell out and so who knows?)

5.  Mary Nelson and Stacey Stauffer are 2 of the best newer hosts and should be given more and more shows. They are real, calm, know their items, don't act "cutesy" and QVC needs to train their new recruits in this manner.

6. Of course, Gary Goban (sp?) and Carolyn are the 2 mainstays. Love, love, love them as hosts and their knowledge of the line. I also think Angel Smedley is wonderful and am amazed at how well she knows every single item of QF clothing and color. And QF quality is one of the best clothing quality on QVC.

7. Did I mention lowering the prices? Yes, please.

8. Pay your Customer Services reps more money. You can, you make billions, so that your CS will get back to the way it used to be...first rate.  You cannot have CS people talking on jammed phone lines for sub-par pay. It is demeaning. CS is a hard job.

9. On your TSVs, please limit your showings to 15 minutes.

10.  Keep your demographics in mind and your prices competitive and add more shows with new items.

Okay, I've said my piece. I still watch QVC occasionally and still buy some of their products usually on clearance if I wait long enough.  QVC was a great home shopping network and while they may be in an "experimental, transitional phase" I hope they take my and the other QVC forum people's posts to heart.  Please!  We will all come back to you if you do!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC AND ALL THE CHANGES AND SHOWS AND HOSTS

[ Edited ]

Retailers don't just 'lower prices.' If they are too high for you, shop elsewhere.

QVC promotes the products the sell the most. They won't stop promoting them.

Isaac and jewelery shows are all I like to watch. Aside from Isaac,  QVC clothing doesn;t interest me at all anymore and I never buy make-up or beauty items from QVC. I shop elsewhere.

Occasional Contributor

@Onefineday  That was my point exactly! If they want to sell clothing lines, there are so many on-line and brick and mortar stores that offer much better prices!  If QVC was more competitive with their pricing on clothing, it would benefit not only QVC (millions of viewers watch) but it would be truly competitive and be a win-win for QVC and for the QVC customer!

Super Contributor

After having QVC on around the clock for about 30 years, I gave up. The prices are just not a value to me. And what you are selling, I'm not looking for. 

The endless hours of the same stuff over and over it has just become a 24 hour commercial.

You once did one hour shows, sometimes maybe 2 hours, but these blocks of the same stuff all the time, dull.

I like kitchen gadgets, but not a set of 4 of whatever. I need 1 pair of shears in the kitchen. I don't want them laying all over the house. 

I agree Logo just isn't my style either, but there are those who like the line. Really do we need Logo purses, jewlery, etc. Stick to one line of items.

Ellen did a line of purses, has she ever carried one? Did she ask what women wanted in the styles, or was it just another "stick a celeb's name on something?" Same goes for Judith Ripka, purses and shoes from a jewlery designer? 

Isn't there anyone that wears loafers anymore? 95 pairs of sandals in one day is overkill on the sandals. Insert thongs and repeat. Some of us wear a complete pair of shoes, but you don't seem to carry them, or I have run out of patience waiting for them to be shown. When someone says the pair is real leather and a watch strap is bigger, it's not a sale to me. And the price of a pair of sandals should not be the same or more than a full leather shoe.

You lost me back when you sold WII almost every hour for months. You must have filled up the warehouse with those things. I still don't own one and will not. But, that and the TSV going on for a week with presales, and then hours of it on the day it was scheduled, followed by another week of post sales, I'm just done. TSV used to be special, but now they are just another item that you overkill us with.

No value, the prices are more than the store across town. No conveniance, it takes 2 weeks or more to receive the item and returns are expensive and difficult. No quality, any more most everything comes from China and they just don't do quality control.

I guess the worst part is those of us that have watched from the beginning miss what made the business great. Innovation, and a wide variety of products are gone. In it place we've gotten the same item made by 5 different companies in clothing, jewlery, kitchen gadgets, and make up. It's all the same product, just another name on it. How many companies make air fryers, and do you have to try to sell all of them? How many companies sell eye liner, and again do you have to give each one a show? How many sell t-shirts and you get the idea. Boring. I don't like commercials, and you've become one all day ad. It used to be educational to see you describe each product. We would learn how to use the item and what it could do for us. Now, it's yell what the item is, hard sell by saying there isn't many left, and we don't know why we would want the thing. But, we may hear a story about someone's kid in the process. 

Also, not many of us need a 2 TB hard drive on our computers, and yes some of us want one of those old fashioned desk top units. If you are running a business, or you have a kid that is really into online games, then 2 TB's is a good thing. But, if all you do is look up information, and get email 300 MB is plenty. Again, overkill. Give me memory so the machine is fast, but if you really want to see what 400,000 photos of someone's gradnchild looks like, or listen to 400,000 songs at a buck each good luck. I don't. 

I miss what was because it was a good idea. I don't watch what is because it's just boring. Your name doesn't fit you anymore.

Regular Contributor

I agree, I used to have QVC on all the time but it is so boring lately, same products over and over and the hosts acting so silly. Jane used to be one of my faves when I watched years ago, now she is over the top.  TSV's should be limited to 15 minutes, sometimes it is a whole hour.

Esteemed Contributor

1.  I don't find the news to be "extremely depressing right now in our time."  Just this morning I got a kick out of the national spelling bee results. Lots of good in the world but you may not find it if you don't look for it.

2.  While Q is not what it used to be, I still tune in and enjoy some shows and hosts.  There are some hosts and products that I don't enjoy, but there are lots of people who do enjoy those hosts and products.  I don't expect to love everything and I think it would be unreasonable to have that expectation. 

3.  It pays to comparison shop. The last few purchases I made from Q, I was sure that I wouldn't be able to find comparable for less at another retailer, and I am satisfied with my recent Q purchases, although shipping took longer than what I had hoped.

Honored Contributor

@slmsia wrote:

Okay, I've written some critical comments of late about QVC and rightly so because so many others agree.  I used to have QVC on all the time to tell you the truth mainly because I don't have to deal with commercials and the news is extremely depressing right now in our time.  I just wish QVC would do a few things:

1. Add new items.

2. Lower their prices.  They say they are competitive but they are definitely not!  And pricing has gone way up over the years. If they want customers back and more customers added, they need to be more competitive with their pricing.

3. Stop this new "cutesy" stuff on the sets and with the hosts. It is a turn off.  I am sure management is forcing some of them to do this but others are just naturally annoying.

4. Add more variety in your programming!  Of late, it is just constant Gourmet Holiday, a gazillion David show's, tech/computer shows, Bose shows (please stop), and Amy Stran with PM Style (please change the host, not being mean but she is just too much to take). Oh, and LOGO (I posted elsewhere that this line is the biggest mystery to me. I think the clothes are ugly but they all sell out and so who knows?)

5.  Mary Nelson and Stacey Stauffer are 2 of the best newer hosts and should be given more and more shows. They are real, calm, know their items, don't act "cutesy" and QVC needs to train their new recruits in this manner.

6. Of course, Gary Goban (sp?) and Carolyn are the 2 mainstays. Love, love, love them as hosts and their knowledge of the line. I also think Angel Smedley is wonderful and am amazed at how well she knows every single item of QF clothing and color. And QF quality is one of the best clothing quality on QVC.

7. Did I mention lowering the prices? Yes, please.

8. Pay your Customer Services reps more money. You can, you make billions, so that your CS will get back to the way it used to be...first rate.  You cannot have CS people talking on jammed phone lines for sub-par pay. It is demeaning. CS is a hard job.

9. On your TSVs, please limit your showings to 15 minutes.

10.  Keep your demographics in mind and your prices competitive and add more shows with new items.

Okay, I've said my piece. I still watch QVC occasionally and still buy some of their products usually on clearance if I wait long enough.  QVC was a great home shopping network and while they may be in an "experimental, transitional phase" I hope they take my and the other QVC forum people's posts to heart.  Please!  We will all come back to you if you do!  :smileyh

@slmsia. A couple of things come to mind as I read your post:

1. To what cutsey sets do you refer?  I think I missed them.

2.  Expect prices to increase significantly as tariffs increase.  You will pay for them.

3. Are you in a position to know how much CS reps are psid?  What is the source of your information?

4. If you think the Q has profits in the millions, you're sadly mistaken.  Read the quarterly financial reports.  During the last quarter, they lost money, sales being down 4%.

5. Apparently "calm" does not enhance sales because new hosts are trained ined to act bouncy and enthused to create excitement.  There is science in sales and QVC knows all the tricks.  As boring as we find long presentations,  they apparently generate sales or they wouldn't keep doing them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Even worse is that now there are THREE QVC's, all showing the same things. I truly do not understand that. If you missed watching any show, you can just go online and look at what was on.

I miss everything that made QVC a good place to shop. I still buy some things, but really, when I go to a store and zip down the "as seen on TV' aisle, which is for informercial stuff, I really feel like I am walking through QVC. Almost every item in that aisle has been on QVC, and at a MUCH higher price.

We all understand that the birth of the internet, and the fact that every home has a computer (whereas in days gone by, few homes had computers) means people can shop at any store they want to from the comfort of their home. Do something different! Remember the 50/50 tours? Those were enjoyable.

That online shopping boom should have given QVC the incentive to get creative with their shows so that people continued to watch and shop as they used to. I do not see that happening. Prices keep going up, quality going down, slow shipping, too little item information being given because host chatter cuts into the time, how many "have been picked up" (why does that matter to me?) is told to us multiple times. They used to read the measurements, now they say "just go online and look". Well why I am I watching then? My computer is not always on.

Now HSN is having all their products eliminated. They have less and less. They are starting to go in the same "show 10 products a day and just do hours of air time on each item". If anyone has watched HSN they are clearing out some really good vendors.

I am not convinced at all that this merger was a good idea at all.

Super Contributor

Well said @wildcat fan. My sentiments exactly.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

While everyone has some things they don't like about QVC or any business, you can't please everyone and times have changed and most now don't have the time nor do they want to watch all day and probably wouldn't buy much anyway if QVC stayed stagnant. The only reason I used to keep QVC on was because at one time you had to order at the time of the show and even after you could order a product if you had the item number.  The internet changed all that.  It is no longer necessary to watch like before. You can go online and see the times of the shows that you might be interested in and new products can be checked out.  Shopping channels would not still be around if they had not changed with the times to attract newer customers.  The old ones who want things to stay the same are not going to be around forever!!