Super Contributor

Re: QVC 2016 SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGES GOING UP

Shop elsewhere.  I rarely ever pay shipping when shopping at other onine retailers.  They almost all have free ship codes or free shipping with a certain purchase amount.  I buy at QVC only if I can't get them item elsewhere or if the item is less expensive (which rarely happens anymore).

Honored Contributor

Yes some companies do "hide" the shipping costs in the price.   But as an example, Nordstrom and QVC both sell Philosophy.  Nordstrom offers free s/h with no minimum purchase amount required.

I can buy Philosophy Purity Cleanser from QVC for $24.00 plus $3.00 s/h.

I can buy the same size Philosophy Cleanser from Nordstrom for $24.00, free s/h. 

Obviously I'm paying less money through Nordstrom to buy the exact same item.  So where did Nordstrom bury the free s/h cost? 

Respected Contributor

@crush wrote:

I have already considerably cut down on my purchases from QVC in the last year.  I have cancelled several autoships because I can honestly get most things from the vendor directly or from somewhere like Sephora or Ulta with just a tad bit difference in price depending on what I'm looking.  I always figure in the s/h charges to see what my overall price will be.  If I can get it locally for a bit more per piece but without s/h, I'm going to buy locally or from the vendor. 

I have found that in the last year, I've bought more from HSN just because of their incentives...coupons offered, reduced or free s/h, and spendable cash back in your account if you return an item. 

I could have wrote the same post! 

I have really cut down on purchasing from QVC and find myself shopping Evine and HSN more and more. So many incentives and afforable shipping. 

Honored Contributor

@crush wrote:

I have already considerably cut down on my purchases from QVC in the last year.  I have cancelled several autoships because I can honestly get most things from the vendor directly or from somewhere like Sephora or Ulta with just a tad bit difference in price depending on what I'm looking.  I always figure in the s/h charges to see what my overall price will be.  If I can get it locally for a bit more per piece but without s/h, I'm going to buy locally or from the vendor. 

I have found that in the last year, I've bought more from HSN just because of their incentives...coupons offered, reduced or free s/h, and spendable cash back in your account if you return an item. 

I don't know if you saw it, but I started a thread in the Fashion Forum.  HSN is making changes to the spendable cash you get back when you return an item.  They are also raising the fee on the prepaid return labels. 

Super Contributor

I just saw a Lug purse today on QVC...and then went and  found it cheaper on ebag.com (even with their shipping cost since it was under $49), but then I went to Amazon and bought it there because it was even cheaper AND had free shipping.

Q acts like they're the only game in town, sadly. But as long as people keep buying from them, there's no need for them to change. For the rest of us, we'll go elsewhere to spend our money. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Valued Contributor

@crush wrote:

I do the same, I always factor in shipping costs into the total cost of the item.  It is annoying when the hosts say something is only $5 each when they can actually be more like $6-$7 each when tax and shipping is factored in.  And for food items, they say these hamburgers are only $X each but when you figure it at so much a pound, it is astronomical!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

First, as has already been pointed out, the OP is incorrect.  QVC never stated that everything would be $3 to ship, so one is getting upset over something that never was.

Secondly, shipping items costs money.  Soe companies attempt to trick their customers into believing that shipping is free, but the costs are either buried into the base pricing of items, or the companies require minimum purchases which ultimately cause people to buy more and spend more money because they believe they are getting a deal. 

Thirdly, shipping costs have gone up.  Carriers have raised prices, and I dare anyone here to ship some of the same items for a lower prices.  In many cases, we cannot.

Fourth, the costs also include handling.  In addition to the cost of shipping, there are costs involved with packaging, insurance, labor and overhead.  These things cost money.

Fifth, and perhaps most importantly, there is no sort of shipping clarification needed.  QVC tells us from the onset the cost of shipping each item.  We know the total cost, and we can choose to purchase or not.  Stop acting as if QVC is doing something nefarious by hiding shipping prices.  That is silly.

And Sixth and perhaps most pertinent... Regardless of how retailers offer 'free' shipping, if the cost to the customer to get the item home is the same or less than another entity whose shipping charges up the ante, then who cares how they do it...? The customer still saves money. Buying more than intended just to get free shipping is a whole other issue.

So true, stevieb!  And that happens more times than not for things that I buy.  The items are still cheaper elsewhere, even if the shipping costs are "hidden" in the cost of the item.   Sometimes you can do ship free to the local B&M store and not be bound by some minimum to spend to get free shipping. 

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Honored Contributor

What bugs me the most is having to pay tax on the shipping fee from the Q, I have not shopped on the Q for last 5 years or more.

Honored Contributor

The thing that blows my mind is that QVC charges over $11 to ship a handbag in the same ole QVC box!!!!!  Sometimes I wonder if they really want to stay in business when other companies are offering good shipping deals to entice people to purchase merchandise...It would be one thing if QVC's prices were lower to compensate for their shipping...but that's not the case either!!!....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

Not only are the shipping prices out of hand but the prices in general.  Everytime I see something on QVC that I like,  google and can find it cheaper at lots of places.  

They keep saying their prices are lower but it is not true.  I just watch to see new items and I look elsewhere.  Their prices for TSV are OK sometimes but in general I don't order as much as I did from them anymore.