Valued Contributor

Re: QURATE 3rd Quarter Results 2020

I purchased the most wonderful bed from Frontgate, who is part of QURATE. I also like Ballard Design but would love to see them offer more free shipping events.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Maybe jewelry is flat because there are no jewelry shows anymore!  (And prices are SKY-HIGH)

Glad to see QVC is so successful during this pandemic!

Q's jewelry inventory stinks, especially gold jewelry.  I would expect lower sales just because of that.  

Honored Contributor

I would guess that some of the reason apparel sales may be lagging has to do with the fact that people aren't going anywhere so they don't need new clothing.  While yes some people have continued to work throughout this, a chunk of them are uniformed workers who obviously don't need work clothes.

For those staying home more than they are going out, they don't need to purchase clothing.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva. I was going to make the same point, which also applies to jewelry sales, esp fashion jewelry.
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  I'm going to take a wild stab at it and add my opinion, surmising that in addition to long standing feedback about costs of apparel here, shipping, stale product, quality and sizing concerns, most folks are simply not drinking the Kool-Aid about needing new things to sit in front of a computer camera and attend Zoom meetings or to lounge around the homestead... Likewise for jewelry... If you aren't paying hundreds or even thousands for the jewelry they offer, you're essentially getting actual costume jewelry or 'fine' jewelry that looks like costume jewelry... And really, who's going out enough these days to justify the cost of new jewelry... I know I'm not...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb Well your wild stab was already taken by LipstickDiva and me right above your post, so not wild after all.
Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

If we have learned anything this year it's how fast things can change and we have no clue what it's all going to look like. To new customers everything is new to them on the Q. Some will stick around and are not jaded as many of us are on the boards. Posters are a minuscule number compared to the number of customers. Even on the boards there are core groups of posters. Many don't watch or buy anymore.  More complaints than compliments for sure. 

So many B&M stores have closed, shopping has changed forever so maybe QVC/HSN will survive and flourish going forward. I hope it does!

@mspatmac 

You make some excellent points that I whole heartedly agree with.....

But there's one point, we can agree to disagree. Now as my mom used to say, "it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil"....so although there are just a small number of posters vs QVC's total customers giving feedback and suggestions here on the Forum, some of these opinions seem to matter because we have seen a few changes that were made.....

And sometimes the volume of customers participating  doesn't seem to matter to QVC:

For example the "The Customer's Choice Awards" not  all customers even vote, but these products are given a special designation and even an award.

And the same is true of "Customer Top Rated Products"....not everyone that purchased the item takes time to provide a review yet the product still gets that rating.... 

And not everyone makes a product suggestion to improve a product, yet host and vendor on air will say, "we heard from you customers so we made these changes to our product"......

Also, QVC sends out surveys to only a handfull of customers, yet these opinions matter to QVC......

FYI, the silly "Customer Choice Awards" is a marketing ploy! Designed to engage the customer and make the chosen products seem "special" - as in,

gee, I must get that if everyone loves it. It's hilarious to me the way they are 'presented' w Jane in a gown and gushing/crying over the winners! LOL.

I have never participated in, nor watched for more than a nano second, the Customer Choice Awards.  If Jane is hosting, then less than a nano second.  But isn't there an award for best shampoo or hair cleanser?  I had to laugh, because I only know of two different companies that sell shampoo on QVC - WEN and that other guy with the long hair - Nick?  There may be more.  But I just thought it was funny to be thrilled with the top prize when there are very few in the category to begin with.  The whole thing seems silly to me.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

One reason why jewelry sales may be down is because jewelry is a want and not a need, and right now, people are focusing on needs, and not wants.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

One reason why jewelry sales may be down is because jewelry is a want and not a need, and right now, people are focusing on needs, and not wants.

That might explain a decrease in sales in 2020, but what explanation is there for QVC being the self-proclaimed "largest jewelry store in the world" in 2006 upon Mike George's ascension to the presidency, to jewelry sales making up a mere 5% of their sales in 2019? Mike George took over a robust jewelry retailer in 2006 and allowed it collapse under his watch.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt

Thanks for the info on Qurate's financials. At least they are doing well in a pandemic unlike many bricks and mortar retailers.

Since QxH doesn't break down the numbers for each shopping channel, it's hard to guess as to how well each channel is doing on their own.

That Qurate relies on shipping and handling revenues to boost their bottom line makes me wonder if customers, especially new ones become returning customers.

As to jewelry, who is buying, let alone wearing jewelry in a pandemic when you are washing your hands so much and wearing face masks?

Interesting that people, who presumably a lot of customers may be working from home aren't buying electronics from QVC or HSN.

I also wonder which clothes brands on QVC and HSN are the winners and losers.