Respected Contributor

Re: QURATE 2nd Quarter Results 2020!

[ Edited ]

ScreenShot167.png

It's interesting to see how QVC and HSN's sales have shifted and that Qurate claim to have pivoted their offers to reflect that and yet QVC's on-air categories changed minimally from Q2 2019 to Q2 2020. Jewelry declined measurably, other categories changed very little:

QVC Q2-19 QVC Q2-20 
Apparel39%Apparel40%
Home25%Home26%
Beauty15%Beauty15%
Accessories10%Accessories11%
Jewelry7%Jewelry5%
Electronics3%Electronics2%
Health & Fitness1%Health & Fitness1%
Honored Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

I know people mention price as a possible cause of apparel sales being down.  But what about the fact that we see Graver, Mizrahi, Logo, Cuddleduds, and Denim and Co. over and over.  And Breezies!  Leah hasn't had anything great on AM Style in ages.  

@Tadaki 

Yep, GREAT POINT! QVC's clothing selections are very limited---and its the same 3 styles basically....They used to bring in some unique styles and designers that were reasonably priced.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

Info from CEO Mike George's press conference---

“We generated strong growth in revenue, OIBDA, and free cash flow in the second quarter, with every business unit and geographic market achieving meaningful sales gains and significant new customer additions,” said Mike George, President and CEO of Qurate Retail. “Our agile teams responded to the ongoing shifts in consumer needs during this challenging time to deliver engaging and relevant experiences across our eCommerce, video and social platforms. While economic uncertainty remains, our recent results give us confidence that we can generate sustained growth by continued execution of our strategies to offer unique differentiated products and immersive and trusted shopping experiences across all the digital platforms relevant to today’s consumer, while keeping the health and well-being of our team members and communities our top priority.”

@Spurt  Ahhhhh... The art of self-promotion strikes again. You know, I wonder if before her departure School Marm JB didn't teach management a little class in patting one's self on the back... Instead of simply saying nothing at all, being grateful for the reprieve or perhaps even acknowledging that these numbers mostly reflect an American public that has largely been a captive audience, with home shopping being one of the few avenues still open to them to acquire, he just had to go there... Oh my yes, present is all the predictable verbiage about 'agile teams', 'engaging and relavent' (not...), 'unique, differentiated (not), 'trusted shopping experiences (seems iffy right now...) and yada, yada, yada... Most frightening of all, "our recent results give us confidence that we can generate sustained growth by continued execution of our strategies to offer unique differentiated products and immersive and trusted shopping experiences...", which, of course, translated means business as usual... Come on, assuming this nightmare ever ends, their 'strategy will prove to be as stale as it ever was... Even I have been shopping more at QVC lately but I can pretty much guarantee you that if things ever open up... if it ever feels safe to go out again... that will change pronto, as in post haste... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

I know people mention price as a possible cause of apparel sales being down.  But what about the fact that we see Graver, Mizrahi, Logo, Cuddleduds, and Denim and Co. over and over.  And Breezies!  Leah hasn't had anything great on AM Style in ages.  

@Tadaki  Isn't that the truth... Between pricing, shipping costs, shipping issues and just the incessant over exposure of these same few brands, it's no surprise clothing sales aren't shining... While many customers might gravitate to the tried and true, they also like to see some variety... The same old - same old just isn't going to cut it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@banned again  They are only "public figures" in their own eyes due to QVC's marketing campaigns. Some current hosts live their lives very privately and I respect them for that! Customers are not friends and do not need to know about their private lives. Once gone, many prefer to live their lives in peaceful harmony and out of the cameras eye. In reality, all hosts are salespeople like anyone in any other store or company.

I stand by what I originally posted about QVC concerned with the remaining employees morale following a massive layoff. I've been employed by a Fortune 500 company and that is how layoffs were always handled. It was difficult enough to return to work and take up the slack of those who had been terminated, especially if in management and participating in those decisions (which I was). So much thought, concern for the company's financial well-being, the remaining employees and the future of the company and those employees left is gone over by each  department head/supervisor long before it reaches HR. These decisions are not taken lightly and are uncomfortable for everyone involved.

If employees are not working to their expectations, meeting their goals set and their reviews have been unsatisfactory or complaints have been high (with legitimate reasons and proof), it is time to terminate those unproductive employees. People are let go for many reasons, but it's usually poor performance or inability to grow with a changing company or inept skills required for their position (may be social interaction, technical, sales, etc.).

Too often employees become "comfortable" within a company or position and no longer are an asset to the company; they cost a company more money in salary and benefits than they help a company earn.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb 

Somehow I just knew you would enjoy Mikey's speech.Woman Very Happy.Yes, perhaps JB gave him some pointers...OR...perhaps he was a DJ somewhere in his past because he certainly knows how to put "a spin" on things 😉...😆.....

my favorite part----we can generate sustained growth by continued execution of our strategies to offer unique differentiated products and immersive and trusted shopping experiences...".....🤣🤣🤣

Now to be fair, I haven't been watching as much, but pray tell what UNIQUE products have I missed?!?!?!?!? Each time I tune in I see the same ole stale products with presentations as long as "Gone With The Wind" which certainly fits because hosts/vendors sure are winded as they give the same spiel every 5 to 10 minutes...Woman Frustrated........and then there's the shipping ...sometimes its reasonable and other times carrier pigeon would be faster....Woman Frustrated  But if Mikey thinks its working we can expect more of the status quo and an "exciting" holiday shopping season ahead and in the future....Woman Tongue 

QVC isnt the only one that's messed up online orders...

and Ive limited my in-store shopping experiences, but as more retailers and customers get more comfortable and adapt to the "new norm" I think Ill be shopping more and more in-store...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Somehow I just knew you would enjoy Mikey's speech.Woman Very Happy.Yes, perhaps JB gave him some pointers...OR...perhaps he was a DJ somewhere in his past because he certainly knows how to put "a spin" on things 😉...😆.....

Her ears must have been burning because in her Facebook Live video last night she said "I can put a spin on anything."

Honored Contributor

@banned again wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Her ears must have been burning because in her Facebook Live video last night she said "I can put a spin on anything."

@banned again 

WOW so Qurate CEO Mike George is teaching all the hosts to be spin doctors... 😆

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why did they have to get rid of employees when they are doing better???  Also, I find it funny that people who are out of work due to the pandemic are able to spend so much money.  I wonder if that's because they got $600.00 additional unemployment benefits per week more than their normal benefit...?  If so, will that change if that doesn't continue?  I believe 7/31/20 that ended.

"I never changed, I just learned."
Esteemed Contributor

No surprise that clothes and jewelry are in decline. Who is wearing jewelry like rings and bracelets when you are washing your hands or using hand sanitizer constantly? I stopped wearing a watch too. I've been jewelry-free since March.

As to clothes, shoes, and accessories, bricks and mortar stores, especially ones in bankruptcy are unloading all those items way cheaper than the Q. The Naturalizer outlet stores in Canada are clearing out their old shoe inventory but I see the same Bzees shoes on QVC's website at full price. 

Who is going to wear accessories like an obi belt squishing your middle if you are working on a computer from home?

And clothes -- bricks and mortar stores are still trying to unload winter and spring clothes at sale prices. I bought a few items for my mom in sizes petite smalls because the stores had her sizes and the items were cute. I'll have to mail them to her since I can't visit her in person but that's OK.

The three items I bought yesterday, a tank top, a matching sweater shrug, a 3/4 sleeve floral T shirt came to about $44 dollars CDN with tax. I've already bought her a zippered athletic jacket, a bathrobe, and a winter sweater top on clearance last month. 

Full price retailers, whether they be bricks and mortar or an e-tailer can't compete when I'm willing to do the leg work it takes to look for a bargain!