Frequent Contributor

Q's shipping prices have increased

Was checking on some items that I was interested in. Noticed the clothing & jewelry is up to $3.50 from $3.00, shoes are now $5.50 up from $5.00. Don't know when the bump actually happened. Most stores are lowering their shipping costs but not Q. Wonder if the return labels have gone up as well. Now it will cost at least .50 more to order and return. Will definitely consider how much I actually want an item in the future. I know .50 isn't much, but if you order a few things, it will add up, especially if the return labels went up as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Q's shipping prices have increased

@A1brat wrote:

Was checking on some items that I was interested in. Noticed the clothing & jewelry is up to $3.50 from $3.00, shoes are now $5.50 up from $5.00. Don't know when the bump actually happened. Most stores are lowering their shipping costs but not Q. Wonder if the return labels have gone up as well. Now it will cost at least .50 more to order and return. Will definitely consider how much I actually want an item in the future. I know .50 isn't much, but if you order a few things, it will add up, especially if the return labels went up as well.

@A1brat  I just noticed that.  There were also 6 payments minutes ago while I was looking at size, and shipping at $3.00.  Now 6 easy pay gone and shipping $3.50. That kind of made my decision not to order.  Maybe I will but not now.  That might be an omen.

Honored Contributor

It was bound to happen since Usps and UPS are both increasing their rates.  I wonder how these two entities justify this increase since fuel prices are down?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yesterday I wanted to purchase a food item at a different site.  The items totalled $36.  The shipping fee was $14.95.  Needless to say I did not make the purchase.

I am not advocating for shipping charges, however, QVC's s/h fees, on average, are some of the lowest I have seen among all the various sites I use.  They were bound to inch up, and expect more inching in 2019.  It's not really about comparing their fees to what they did yesterday, it's about comparing them to what other retailers charge for similar service and products. 

You've got to shop around.  Shipping is very, very expensive for all retailers, so it's going to be in the customer's purchase price for the item, or the higher shipping fee.

Super Contributor

I noticed that too.  Unless it's something I can't find anywhere else, I buy elsewhere.  I almost never pay for shipping at any other online retailer.  

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed that the shipping and handling fees went up. I was going to order some items from Kohls but the shipping was $8.95 unless you ordered $75 of merchandise. I did not purchase the items.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday, I mailed a small package to a friend.  It was about a 6" x 6" box with a few small items in it (so small I couldn't get her Christmas card in and had to mail that separately).  The box and contents weighed just over a pound.

Because it was over the weight limit, it couldn't go first class, so I mailed it priority.  It cost $9.85!  Puts the cost of $3.00 or $3.50 in perspective for items of clothing.

I don't like to pay shipping costs any more than the next person, but it's going to have to be paid for somewhere along the line, one way or another.  I've just curtailed what I buy online and try to shop on free shipping days or when things are on clearance.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It was bound to happen since Usps and UPS are both increasing their rates.  I wonder how these two entities justify this increase since fuel prices are down?

@Kachina624- Same as air fares - the price of jet fuel has dropped (long ago), but the cost of flights hasn't.  And they're even trying to cram more seats into every plane.  Strange conundrum, isn't it?  "Fuzzy math", as a friend would call it.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Yesterday I wanted to purchase a food item at a different site.  The items totalled $36.  The shipping fee was $14.95.  Needless to say I did not make the purchase.

I am not advocating for shipping charges, however, QVC's s/h fees, on average, are some of the lowest I have seen among all the various sites I use.  They were bound to inch up, and expect more inching in 2019.  It's not really about comparing their fees to what they did yesterday, it's about comparing them to what other retailers charge for similar service and products. 

You've got to shop around.  Shipping is very, very expensive for all retailers, so it's going to be in the customer's purchase price for the item, or the higher shipping fee.

@Caaareful Shopper- I had the same experience with an online retailer, trying to order some small food items.  Not heavy, not in bulk and the cost for shipping was around $13, about the same as the cost of the items.  I told my DH, no way!  And this site in particular made a point of saying that the difference in shipping cost between a small order and a larger order, was minimal, to encourage you to order more.

Yikes!  (I did find my items elsewhere at a reasonable shipping cost.)

Honored Contributor

@A1brat

(like your screen name🙂)

Its very interesting and certainly not news shipping has increased & for me become a key factor whenever I place a order and not just with Q/HSN.  In fact, I find $3-3.50 to ship a item reasonable cnnsidering I did ship from USPS yesterday & shipping is not cheap!

Stupid me ordered gifts for my GD and niece/husband from Amazon -- yup they shipped FREE and got here super fast BUT I forgot to change the "ship to" default when I entered my cc info...so they shipped to me🙄.

I figured well I'll just "suck it up" and mail with a few other little things I had for GD and them.  

Holy crow -- I originally packaged in my own boxes yet after they weighed it was cheaper to use USPS  "priority" boxes.

In fact, I originally went to UPS store -- 1 box was $32 (more than the contents!) but heavy (books, sweater, misc. gift).  Then I asked the clerk if UPS will deliver or hand off to secondary shipper...they don't know yet I pay UPS rates.  I just used USPS as both boxes cost me $25 using the flat rate boxes.

Therefore,in comparison IMO Q shipping is reasonable -- even the pre-paid return labels are usually cheaper to use.