Esteemed Contributor

Re: Q card interest rate has just jumped to 29.9%

I've used one credit card for thirty years and have never paid a dime's interest. However, I've received hundreds of dollars annually for my credit card cash rewards. 

When I see the Q offering 5 Easy Pays for a ridiculous price of $20. for a pound of sausage, I understand there must be a fool born every minute.

Respected Contributor

The thing that gets me is check out defects automatically to Q Card and easy pay. Hard to catch it sometimes and change it. I've just let it go way too long now

Trusted Contributor

How true about the default to a Q Card and easy pay. It’s not like they do it for our convenience. If they were doing it for the customers, it would default to the last way we paid.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@new nickname 4 wrote:

@DottieBlue , Source?  I don't believe you!  Of course you can bypass the greed by simply not using credit cards.  And you certainly don't need to purchase from any corporation or oil company that you deem is greedy.  

However, if you simply look at what the cost of business is for a corporation or oil company, as opposed to the MSM is telling you, you will be surprised at how much money is invested by said corporations/oil companies.

Research on the internet is a great way to learn.

@new nickname 4   Doing research on the internet IS a great way to learn.  I didn't just pull what I posted out of my keester.   Source:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-25/us-corporate-profits-soar-taking-margins-to-wides...

Believe what you want...no skin off my back what you believe.

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

When I see the Q offering 5 Easy Pays for a ridiculous price of $20. for a pound of sausage, I understand there must be a fool born every minute.

@febe1  - This is a mean post for those that purchased the sausage here at the Q.  Would you like it if someone called you a fool for something you purchased?  

Respected Contributor

No matter what credit card you use, if you don't carry a balance each month, it wouldn't matter if the rate was 90%..

I'm surprised how many people don't know you can pay the balance on your card every day if you so choose....just link your credit card to your bank account bill pay and pay it as you charge.

And you do NOT have to make it an automatic withdrawal..you can "force" pay whatever YOU want to, when you want to.

That way, you can take advantage of cash back offers to use the card,  get the warranty protection a lot of the cards have at purchase, and not run up a balance. 

I use my VISA card for ALL puchases because it gives cash back %.

When I get home from shopping I immediately pay it off. I pay each individual bill separately so I can find it easily instead of just paying a big lump at the end of the month.

The ONLY thing I wait to pay is if I order frozen food from any vendor, like QVC, who offers easy pay ( they ALL do today)....I make the first payment when I order, then when it comes and I'm sure it's frozen I pay the rest right away.

I had a problem with huge balances years ago and will NEVER fall into that trap again.

So think about it...pay as you go.

In my case, all my money is in Fidelity so all the accounts are linked .

SO easy. You can do it with any bank too ...they ALL have bill pay today!!!!

No need to wait til the end of the month and have to pay a giant balance. Of course it works out the same if you pay each transaction or pay everything off each month, but pshycologically, you don't see that huge balance and decide to only make the monthly  minimum payment "this time"....

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

@snipsnapsnur wrote:

Thank God I have no credit cards at all and I get along just fine.  Why does anyone need a credit card in the first place if you pay it off at the end of the month?

@snipsnapsnur 

cash back

mileage

free hotel rooms

gift cards

other great perks and benefits.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

Purchase protection ( some cards extend or double the warranty on a product ) and some cards offer a % of cash back or airline points for airline tickets if you use them to purchase.

If you spend a LOT of money on a card ( like I do..ALL my purchases and bills) that cash back can amount to a tidy sum by the end of the year....but you must be disciplined to pay the balance each month.

Also...for travel. You cannot rent a car without a credit card. 

Convenience. Carrying cash is on the way out. 

The trick is to be disciplined, and the card companies count on people NOT being so,and NOT paying off thier balance each month.

I think I copied the wrong poster...sorry!! SNIPSNAPSPUR was who I meant.

If you maintain a great credit rating and can manage to score one with 0 percent interest, they can be a boon if you need to buy some expensive appliance or repair and pay it off without interest .

I bought my new washer and used such a card for 11 monthly payments at zero percent. The payments were pre-scheduled so I would not miss one. I COULD pay it off, but used the bank's money. 

It is getting near impossible to get a 0% card today.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

I think I responded to the wrong post!! I meant to answer SnipSnapSpur...!

Respected Contributor

30 %.  Wow.  Do they break your kneecaps too?  That's what the Mafia used to do.  At least you knew what to expect when you borrowed from them.