Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? PRVW-MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND- Q THE SUMMER!

[ Edited ]

@katiescarlett wrote:

Great post as always, SPURT.  The first horse looks just like my late handsome boy, Kiawah, who died last year. 

So, hold on to your bloomers, Poo Pourri is on zulily.  I was surprised to see RLM back on, I thought he had been dropped.  I guess we now have had Dell Days, Dooney Days, and now Wen Weeks.  Ugh. I am sure the WEN board is all a-twitter with excitement.  Honestly, he must laugh all the way to the bank, thinking of how much those people pay for a gallon of that stuff.  He looks so odd now, too, with that hair and those glasses.

So, seriously, we need to remember the real meaning of Memorial Day, and that it is just not a day to shop good deals and cook out. 

@katiescarlett  Hi KATIE!!!!  Thanks for your nice words about the post!!!

Oh Kiawah---who passed away---Woman Sad

Boy that Poo Pourri is all over the place (pun not intended--LOL)

Yep, I thought RLM had parted ways with QVC too....and didn't seem too happy with the host he was paired with on the last designer jewelry day I saw him on....I'm NOT into his jewelry....just happened to tune in one time....Why yes you can sense all the chatter in the air.....the group" is all aglow about "the gallons" and the shows.....Smiley Wink

I know you like cookbooks (although you purchase them cheaper from other sources)....I did find a couple I thought I would be interested in that were previously shown on the Q---I did like the book and recipes on one that I found from Michael Symon....However, was vastly disappointed in The Dinner For Two cookbook from Mr. Food---seriously how to make a greek salad for two---come on---and most of the other receipes were nothing new---I already figured out myself how to reduce the all too familiar recipes in the book----that book was returned!!!  Woman Frustrated

Be careful I heard a tropical storm or depression was headed to the Carolinas....I hope it misses y'all and you have nice weather to enjoy your weekend! Take Care!!! 

And I agree with you, we should all take a few moments to honor those that gave their lives.....the TRUE meaning for the holiday....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

I have Mourning Doves here in Michigan and their personalities are quite different than what you describe.  For the most part the Mourning Doves here only come by dawn and dusk and are timid.

A few years ago the state allowed hunting on Mourning Doves in a couple of counties.  Not rural counties mind you.  If someone shoots in my yard, they will be in for a surprise - I will return the favor, rofl.

I don't know what to tell you.  I don't like Blue Jays because of their aggressive nest/birdhouse raiding behavior and actually reached out to Cornell University department of Ornithology to find out how to get rid of them.  They were no help.

I now am on fledgling watch with 2 sparrow babies in the birdhouse.  A few years ago grackles moved in and they are the thugs of the bird world.  Will kill a baby bird cuz they can and just leave them............ for me to find headless (scream!!!).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@katiescarlett wrote:

Great post as always, SPURT.  The first horse looks just like my late handsome boy, Kiawah, who died last year. 

So, hold on to your bloomers, Poo Pourri is on zulily.  I was surprised to see RLM back on, I thought he had been dropped.  I guess we now have had Dell Days, Dooney Days, and now Wen Weeks.  Ugh. I am sure the WEN board is all a-twitter with excitement.  Honestly, he must laugh all the way to the bank, thinking of how much those people pay for a gallon of that stuff.  He looks so odd now, too, with that hair and those glasses.

So, seriously, we need to remember the real meaning of Memorial Day, and that it is just not a day to shop good deals and cook out. 

@katiescarlett  Hi KATIE!!!!  Thanks for your nice words about the post!!!

Oh Kiawah---who passed away---Woman Sad

Boy that Poo Pourri is all over the place (pun not intended--LOL)

Yep, I thought RLM had parted ways with QVC too....and didn't seem too happy with the host he was paired with on the last designer jewelry day I saw him on....I'm NOT into his jewelry....just happened to tune in one time....Why yes you can sense all the chatter in the air.....the group" is all aglow about "the gallons" and the shows.....Smiley Wink

I know you like cookbooks (although you purchase them cheaper from other sources)....I did find a couple I thought I would be interested in that were previously shown on the Q---I did like the book and recipes on one that I found from Michael Symon....However, was vastly disappointed in The Dinner For Two cookbook from Mr. Food---seriously how to make a greek salad for two---come on---and most of the other receipes were nothing new---I already figured out myself how to reduce the all too familiar recipes in the book----that book was returned!!!  Woman Frustrated

Be careful I heard a tropical storm or depression was headed to the Carolinas....I hope it misses y'all and you have nice weather to enjoy your weekend! Take Care!!! 

And I agree with you, we should all take a few moments to honor those that gave their lives.....the TRUE meaning for the holiday....

I do like cookbooks, and have to admit that I tend to focus on Southern cooking.  I have a series that Southern Living did years ago.  It was like a book of the month kind of thing.  One on chicken, one on Southern sporting events (e.g. Derby, Maryland Hunt, etc.) cakes, etc.  And they are full of historical pictures, information, advertisements and other fun things to look at. I have one cookbook by Natalie Dupree on just shrimp and grits!  Yum.  I like Michael Symon!  And Anne Burrell.  And I love to watch Trisha Yearwood on Food Network.  I like to just sit and read cookbooks.  

Yep, looks like hurricane season is getting a bit of an early start.  the rain is supposed to come in this evening, so I have been frantically planting my tomatoes, tilling in horse manure, so they are in now, mulched and the cages are up.   So, now I need to get some things in pots.  The rain will be welcome, the soil was really dry when I tilled it.

I had a friend who absolutely loved RLM, thought he was so sexy, but what did it for me was once he said something like rocks being able to feel, or something existential like that.  I liked some of his pieces but most of it was too big (and too expensive) for my tastes.  I have one pair of earrings that are a swirly hoop, very simple, not too big, got them on clearance so the price was reasonable.

Back to planting!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Occasional Contributor

This is awesome.. can't stop laughing..  thanks a lot!    

Valued Contributor

It was nice to get back here & see your "weekend warning" :-)  Sorry, I managed to turn Italic & I cantfigure out jow to turn it off. *how*   Your pictures are outstanding! Loved the llama & Lil Bub on the flag & so many wonderfully drrssed dogs & cats

Hope you & your family (felines incl.)are well. My life is topsy turvy at the moment & I am unable to spend real time with my kitty who has cancer which makes me sad because I dont think he has long & I hate for him to be so alone at this time :'(

Take care & I hope you enjoy the holiday weekend!

Valued Contributor

another smile-inducing post this week, @Spurt!  

Tho this dog looks just so regal to me that I wanted to hug her/him.

image.jpeg      

wishing you & all the op a peaceful holiday weekend.  🌻

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Valued Contributor

@Spurt & @Bird mama. We have mourning doves here & while they can be piggy, I feel so bad for them. They are not the smartest birds, I hate seeing them in the road becsuse they really cut it close in terms of not getting hit. I have to slow down & even swerve aroind them sometimes. The barn cats have no problem catching them & @birdmama we have those dreadful grackels too. I too have seen them eating other birds & I hate how incredibly noisy they can be. They have wuite the sophisticated system fot protecting their own nests.

By the way,  who "hunts" doves?? There is no skill in shooting these seemingly naive birds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama @mewsmomtoo Yep, BIRDMAMA that's a good photo of the doves ....... those are the culprits...perhaps in Michigan their natural food is more readily available versus here in Texas with droughts OR flooding....and HOT weather that they have to deal with and perhaps that might have something to do with their difference in personalities in the different regions....I feel kinda sorry for them....but gee I go through a bag of seed real fast when the Doves find your feeder.  I don't know why they are hunted....it's not like they have much meat on their bones ---POOR BIRDS!!!!  I'm not a fan of hunting animals and kinda laughed when someone posted a picture of some hunters that went to check on a deer blind and found it full of 25 huge rattlesnakes---NATURE STRIKES BACK--and the hunters became the hunted LOL!!!

Oh and you don't have to tell anyone from San Antonio about GRACKLES--  they've practically taken over our town....it's a like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's movie, THE BIRDS---- hundreds of them descend on the grocery store parking lights and power lines along the highway, the medical center, and even our downtown River Walk---

Image result for grackle flocks texas

I didn't realize how evil the Grackles are....oh those poor sparrows and babies!!!  Grackles are a strange bird too....I see them walking around a lot in parking lots and lawns .......  One grocery store got so fed up with them that they chopped down one of the trees since the birds swarm and would leave their droppings right by the entrance of the store....and they have hung these fake owls everywhere to try to scare them away (doesn't work very well) and even have a security guard driving in his cart going around with an air horn (like they use at football games) trying to scare the Grackles off...again not very successful....Thankfully there are just a few stray ones that make their way to neighborhoods and subdivisions.  Good luck in keeping those baby sparrows safe.....I salute you for your kind heart......

We also have lots of Blue Jays here...they are a beautiful looking bird...I didn't realize they were nest raiders and mean spirited.....All I know is they sound like Pterodactyls from those dinosaur movies...who knew such a loud noise could come out of such a small bird---LOL!!! 

We have a lot of Mockingbirds too (our state bird).....they are also mean spirited and nest raiders...... I like the Cardinals, finches, sparrows, and starlings.  I occasionally get hummingbirds but had to take down my hummingbird feeder since the serum attracked the dreaded fire ants....ARRGGHH!!  Woodpeckers come by too---but i had to laugh I heard a pounding noise and when I checked, it was a woodpecker that thought the brown gutter was a tree....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@katiescarlett wrote:

I do like cookbooks, and have to admit that I tend to focus on Southern cooking.  I have a series that Southern Living did years ago.  It was like a book of the month kind of thing.  One on chicken, one on Southern sporting events (e.g. Derby, Maryland Hunt, etc.) cakes, etc.  And they are full of historical pictures, information, advertisements and other fun things to look at. I have one cookbook by Natalie Dupree on just shrimp and grits!  Yum.  I like Michael Symon!  And Anne Burrell.  And I love to watch Trisha Yearwood on Food Network.  I like to just sit and read cookbooks.  

Yep, looks like hurricane season is getting a bit of an early start.  the rain is supposed to come in this evening, so I have been frantically planting my tomatoes, tilling in horse manure, so they are in now, mulched and the cages are up.   So, now I need to get some things in pots.  The rain will be welcome, the soil was really dry when I tilled it.

I had a friend who absolutely loved RLM, thought he was so sexy, but what did it for me was once he said something like rocks being able to feel, or something existential like that.  I liked some of his pieces but most of it was too big (and too expensive) for my tastes.  I have one pair of earrings that are a swirly hoop, very simple, not too big, got them on clearance so the price was reasonable.

Back to planting!

@katiescarlett  Those cookbooks sound fun, very interesting and the recipes sound  intriguing.  I also like to watch Trisha Yearwood's cooking show and also the Pioneer Woman (although with the Pioneer Woman I have changed up some of her recipes to make them healthier---I don't work on a ranch so don't need all that butter she seems to put in her food---LOL).....I like "normal food" you know chicken, turkey, pork, beef...and look for perhaps a new take on recipes ....no eye of squid with frong tongue for me like they make the cooks/chefs prepare on the show CHOPPED---LOL!!!  

I hope you got your planting done before your rain---yum fresh garden totmatoes they are so much better than the produce you find in the grocery stores these days---many of them have no taste....once in a while I will go to a Farmers Market and get some "good stuff"...or a lady that lives in the country will let us know when she has an abundance in tomatoes and invites us to come and get some......the flavor is so much better...

Those RLM hoops that you got sound pretty.....yep on a show I saw he got a bit strange and took the organic look in a whole new direction....and one time he talked about how his jewelry symbolized "the big O" (ya know passion--had to use a different word to comply with forum standards Smiley Wink ) .... but anyway a little off the wall and the host was a bit speechless...As for QVC's Designer Jewelry Day---.I saw a bit of Carolyn's early show.....was tempted on some hoops she had but passed them by....I did get the dragonfly ring that I thought was different and very pretty and had a reasonable price....I didn't see any of the other jewelry shows...

Take Care!

Honored Contributor

@mewsmomtoo wrote:

It was nice to get back here & see your "weekend warning" :-)  Sorry, I managed to turn Italic & I cantfigure out jow to turn it off. *how*   Your pictures are outstanding! Loved the llama & Lil Bub on the flag & so many wonderfully drrssed dogs & cats

Hope you & your family (felines incl.)are well. My life is topsy turvy at the moment & I am unable to spend real time with my kitty who has cancer which makes me sad because I dont think he has long & I hate for him to be so alone at this time :'(

Take care & I hope you enjoy the holiday weekend!

@Spurt & @Bird mama@. We have mourning doves here & while they can be piggy, I feel so bad for them. They are not the smartest birds, I hate seeing them in the road becsuse they really cut it close in terms of not getting hit. I have to slow down & even swerve aroind them sometimes. The barn cats have no problem catching them & @Bird mama we have those dreadful grackels too. I too have seen them eating other birds & I hate how incredibly noisy they can be. They have wuite the sophisticated system fot protecting their own nests.

By the way,  who "hunts" doves?? There is no skill in shooting these seemingly naive birds.

@mewsmomtoo  HEY MEWS!!!!  Good to see you!!!  Glad you liked the photos--there are some sweet critters that I found for this weeks post....

My family and I have been well, thank you for asking. My kitties are also doing well although one has developed a bit of an attitude and chases the little kitty away from her favorite chair, and is being stubborn and won't come in from the patio when I call her....I guess she reallly is enjoying the warm weather and I have to drag her in... Oh MEWS   I'm so sorry about your kitty with cancer.....my heart breaks for him and I can tell how much you love him....it's such a difficult situation.  my thoughts prayers go up for your little guy and for you as well.........HeartHeartCat Sad

Although your life may be topsy turvy make sure you take some time out and take care of yourself no matter how hectic things are........

As for those Mouring Doves----I agree, they don't seem to be the smartest birds and sadly when I go for a walk with a neighbor on the weekends we see "the victims" where the car didn't dodge and miss the dove .......I do feel sorry for them and can't imagine why anyone would want to hunt them.....but just google dove hunts and you see many many organized hunts available in Texas...I guess just only "skilled marksmen" need apply (SARCASM) ..Cat Mad  

Oh yes the Grackles....wierd noisy birds and..they are a big nusiance leaving their mess all over trees, cars, parking lots...and I didn't realize how mean and vicious they are!!! 

Very strange weather for May here---lots of rain, but not the bad flooding as Houston has had......more rain on the way......

I hope you took some time out to enjoy the holiday weekend.  Have a good week and take care!