Esteemed Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? PRV 12/10-12/11-HOMEDICS AND QVC BROUGHT BACK WHAT?

@Spurt

Thanks for the Fortune article and video. I haven't seen that much fromage in a video package in a while!

Esteemed Contributor

UGH....I will be stuck indoors since it is going to be cold and snowy....

Thanks for the good laugh @Spurt!!....stay warm everyone!!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the link @Spurt. This article makes it very clear the gift shows are centered around practical presents and those that come in multi-packs. No wonder it is all humidifiers, flashlights, Philosophy, dusters, and the other repetitive lineup. To think they pay their execs millions to come up with a strategy to take the Merry out of Christmas gifts. The statement that the best price is shown initially and they don't discount is not exactly true. They have had numerous sale prices this season; 10-fold over what they have offered in past holiday seasons (maybe it's a new name for the old OTO, but I frequently see Sale Price on the recently aired products and most are not new).

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, thank you @Spurt for the heads up on another reason, if I didn't already have one in mind, to find other things to do on the weekend other than watch QVC.  What a pathetic set of featured choices IMO.  Yeah I'd definitely be looking for a homedic item as a Christmas gift -- not!  If you're in the market for a new computer, then I get that it might be a good deal but again, I'm not in the market for one nor do I need absolutely hours devoted to decide.

This weekend is cookie fest at a friends house so we'll be having fun baking, decorating & eating cookies one of those days and the other will be spent cleaning, decorating the house and finishing up my shopping - somewhere other than at QVC.

Love all the photos.  It seems to me that Philosophy must be falling behind, too since they are pushing those products harder than before but then again, since they offered them in the massive sizes at various times, how often does anyone need to replenish the supply?  Sometimes that marketing strategy of oversize doesn't always work as intended.

Have a great weekend all and thanks @Spurt for the smiles that reading your post brings me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 I'm with you on having broken the QVC habit as well.  I check online but seldom switch to the channel - especially not during the holiday selling season.  For whatever reason, their management seems oblivious or maybe they just don't care about lost viewers.

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

Thanks for the link @Spurt. This article makes it very clear the gift shows are centered around practical presents and those that come in multi-packs. No wonder it is all humidifiers, flashlights, Philosophy, dusters, and the other repetitive lineup. To think they pay their execs millions to come up with a strategy to take the Merry out of Christmas gifts. The statement that the best price is shown initially and they don't discount is not exactly true. They have had numerous sale prices this season; 10-fold over what they have offered in past holiday seasons (maybe it's a new name for the old OTO, but I frequently see Sale Price on the recently aired products and most are not new).

@SunValley

I love your line---QVC takes the MERRY out of Christmas---so true, so true....

xmas gift emoticon

While there has been some true sale prices and/or free shipping, the thing that bothers me is some of their featured prices don't offer much of a savings---for example I've seen some where you got a whole $2 or $3 off---other retailers offer REAL discounts---

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GinaV24 wrote:

Wow, thank you @Spurt for the heads up on another reason, if I didn't already have one in mind, to find other things to do on the weekend other than watch QVC.  What a pathetic set of featured choices IMO.  Yeah I'd definitely be looking for a homedic item as a Christmas gift -- not!  If you're in the market for a new computer, then I get that it might be a good deal but again, I'm not in the market for one nor do I need absolutely hours devoted to decide.

This weekend is cookie fest at a friends house so we'll be having fun baking, decorating & eating cookies one of those days and the other will be spent cleaning, decorating the house and finishing up my shopping - somewhere other than at QVC.

Love all the photos.  It seems to me that Philosophy must be falling behind, too since they are pushing those products harder than before but then again, since they offered them in the massive sizes at various times, how often does anyone need to replenish the supply?  Sometimes that marketing strategy of oversize doesn't always work as intended.

Have a great weekend all and thanks @Spurt for the smiles that reading your post brings me.

@GinaV24

QVC should come with a warning message---DON'T TURN ON YOUR TV!!! 

What gets me is they just HAD Philosophy & HP computers JUST ON....I guess sales were below what was expected and now their warehouse is now overflowing so now they are desperate to move the stuff!!!!  And how many times do they have to read in their financial reports that ELECTRONIC SALES ARE DOWN before they STOP tying up the weekends with COMPUTERS/TABLETS that aren't selling well!!! Download rolleyes 10

People have complained that Philosophy isn't the same since Coty took it over.....and I see it all over town locally too......QVC no longer has unique merchandise which made me buy from them.....

Well it sounds like you have a fun and busy weekend planned....a group of us were going to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant nd look at the lights on the riverwalk and downtown....but with some predicting rain....we may put that off until another day....It's gotten downright chilly which I love, but I don't like the rain along with it .....

Have a wonderful weekend!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@GinaV24  very true about the supersized containers: when one buys a gallon jug of Purity, you don't need to replenish in 3 months. I will give a practical present if I know it's wanted, but otherwise dusters and flashlights are on my housekeeping list, not gift list. I am not interested in watching a demo of how to clean a ceiling fan.

The link SPURT provided also talks about how the presentations emphasize where and how to wear clothing or use things. Up to a point I can see this boosting sales, but the hosts often veer into the description of appropriate outfits for every mundane event like walking the dog or a once-a-year outing at a pumpkin patch where one is to have a special shirt and the correct pants, boots, and barn jacket. I have never felt compelled to buy a top so I can pick a pumpkin.

Jane T can get on a roll describing where to wear a top and will have you picture yourself as the star of the PTA cupcake party, on a carriage ride in Central Park, and at the ballet, and in the middle of this dialogue throw in a reference to the upcoming Dyson TSV and a family dance recital, all delivered at a speed talking pace without taking a breath or pause. And she is not alone. If this is a good selling tactic, I am definitely not the norm. I got winded just writing this...lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt ha, yes a warning sign would be a good thing, but that wouldn't be as much fun as your posts are each week.

I'm glad that I have activities this weekend and next too.  Hopefully by then I'll have everything and all that will be left is wrapping - which I really hate doing so I procrastinate.

Well I will wish for decent weather for you because it is a shame when you have to cancel plans due to rain.

Esteemed Contributor

@SunValley Exactly!  I'm not sure the oversize containers worked exactly as planned and as Spurt said in one of her posts, when the product seems to have changed as IMO Philosphy has since they were acquired by Coty, well, I may buy it once but if it doesn't live up to my standards then I don't buy it again.

Ha, yes I hear you about the descriptions of "where to wear an outfit".  Honestly I don't really need all those suggestions -- what I'd really like them to concentrate is fit and other important details so I can order the correct size.  I'm actually pretty good at figuring out how and where to wear the appropriate outfit.

Quite often when JB gets on a roll like that, it inspires me to change the channel.  Probably not the effect she or QVC are going for but there you go.  I treat the shopping channels the same way I do any other programming.  If it interests me, I watch, if it doesn't, I don't.  KYToby will say as we've all heard ad nausem, that QVC is not here to entertain me and while that may be the case, they are also not here to drive me away with their marketing and programming or at least you would think they would know better.