Regular Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? PREVIEW 10/3-10/4, MUK LUKS, BAGS, AND SHEEP!

[ Edited ]

Hi Spurt:  This week my favorites were the cat with the big gold bow on it's

head, the dog in the lobster costume and the dog asleep on the bed!  That one yellow & white cat looked positively ticked off!!  When the ears go back, it's time to move out of swiping range!

You mentioned last week that one of your favorite places to shop is "Home Goods" - one of mine, too.  I can't resist their dishes, mugs, holiday dishes, wreaths...

Went to buy good friend some things for her birthday, and ended up buying bowls from Italy with beautiful pumpkins painted on them, for myself.  Don't know where I'll put them, but couldn't resist. 

Another friend and I were going back up to the antique mall Wed., when we spotted a store called "The Christmas Tree Shops".  We stopped to eat nearby in an O'Charlie's, and asked the waitress about the store.  She recommended it, saying it was sort of like Big Lots.

Well, 2-1/2 hours later, we left  "The Christmas Tree Shops" - it was a cross between "Tuesday Morning", "Home Goods" and "Michaels".

Lots of Fall decorations, china, glassware, window treatments, high end food & teas, Polish stoneware, etc...

My friend even found a solar lightpost she'd been looking for. Needless

to say, we never got to the antique mall.  We also stopped at our favorite nursery on the way home and bought mums.  Seems like all I've been doing lately is shopping, but not at QVC (except Linea in Sept.).

I dread all the upcoming Christmas gift shows on QVC.  The past few years I rarely watch from October - December.  They are mind numbingly

boring with the same old products from year to year.  And, if Jim Shore gets a show, they'll put it on at 3am!  The only show I'm looking forward to

is Linea on Oct. 7th, but will have to set the alarm as it's on at 6am.  Meanwhile, in the evenings, there are HOURS of D&B, Wen, Philosophy,

Cooking, shoes (Clarks & Orthoheel), expensive beauty products and my least favorite hosts.  Even VPH shows, which I used to look forward to, have become boring - first all the mercury glass and now mosaics. 

Well, have a nice weekend.  It rained all day on Friday and is supposed to

rain Saturday with temps in the low 50's.  Maybe I'll actually get back to the antique mall, as husband will be watching football all weekend. 

Thanks again for all your time and effort to entertain us. Sue

Honored Contributor

@lynnsy wrote:

I had a reply written... BUT since I was NOT logged in when I hit the submit button it took me to log in first page.. and for WHATEVER reason - my password would not work, so had to go thru a reset and YEP when I finally get back to forum my response was zapped..  And the password I was using was correct.  I think someone fed the "gremlins" after midnight for sure. 

........ SPURT..... I so love the picture of the dog lying face down in the bed.  I so wish that would be me this weekend.    I will have the grandkids (6 and 8) so we shall be visiting Hobby Lobby for christmas projects for them to do for presents.  Anything with GLUE or PAINT will keep them busy and me happy!   And right next door to Hobby Lobby is Joann's Fabric... sure I could find something in there to keep me busy and happy!

@vicalynn  Hi LYNNNSY---Sorry you had prolems with your post and signing in....I've had that happen to me too....Let me share a little secret another Q customer shared. After you sign in, click your nickname, and then click PROFILE, on the left hand side of the screen check for AUTO DRAFT SAVED and your unsent reponse should be there for you to send---certainly a time saving device when the Q's website acts up!!!!  

I also loved the photo of the dog face down on the bed.....sometimes I feel like that after a rough (or should I say RUFF day) Woman LOLWoman Wink.....

Oh it sounds like you have a fun weekend planned with your grandkids with art and craft projects from Hobby Lobby (one of my favorite places) and then Joann's Fabric for something fun for you!!!  ......  I was a bit miffed when they closed a Joann Fabrics that was near my Hobby Lobby because I liked to frequent them both, but that mall seems to be dying---a lot of the stores have moved out---most people only go there to go to the movies...But there is a small shopping center that does have a Michaels, Joann Fabrics, Bath & Body Works, and Barnes & Noble and a Pier One......nice array of stores....although very dangerous for my wallet ---LOL!

Enjoy your weekend!!!  Sounds so much better than Q watching.. ;0

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@newlook123 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

You know Spurt, you really have to hand it to Brother Mikey... Somehow, he's managed to keep this tub afloat (barely, by some calculations) for his entire reign of, uh, boredom... with deteriorating variety, programming and hosting and somehow still managed to eek out higher prices... 

That's what you get for getting an MBA from Northwestern U.  No glitz, no glitter there.  Just sound business practices.  Next CEO should come from a party school like - you name it.

@newname0  Hi newlook123.....Okay, I watch Mike & Mike on ESPN and Mike Greenberg is a proud Northwestern Wildcat----they are undefeated as we speak and he's ecstatic!!!! 

But sorry I respectfully disagree about Mr. George---I know Northwestern is known for it's academics---but I think Mr. George must have slept through or skipped some of his business classes because the programming and products appear to be on a decline....and I think Dell under a certain CEO was replaced by HP as the top computer in sales in the U.S. before he left to join the Q!!!  Well in any event, Woman Very Happygood luck to your Northwestern Football team!!! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Hi Spurt. Thanks for your entertaining weekly guide to the Q's non-entertainment. With a weekend of lousy, dank weather predicted here (but thankfully Joaquin went out to sea), outdoor activities are likely not in order. Since I'll again have no reason to watch the Q, l will be watching my postseason-bound Mets. And l'll catch up on the season premieres of Blue Bloods and SVU, which I missed, but will watch "on demand." Also, the season premieres of Madam Secretary and The Good Wife are on Sunday evening... They should have waited to schedule the My Pillow presentations for this Sunday, to go along with the Serta mattresses, for a double-snoozefest! After all, timing is everything... Have a safe and dry weekend, everybody.

@handygal2  Hi HANDYGAL!! I agree---why QVC missed a GOLDEN opportunity to showcase MY PILLOW, SERTA, & BERKSHIRE SHEETS - in one "spectacular"  weekend......although they should have also sold NO DOZE so viewers could stay awake to place their orders---LOL!!!!

I'm so glad you have some nice alernative TV programming planned for your rainy weekend.......

And PLEASE send the rain my way!!!  Have a nice safe weekend!

Honored Contributor

@newlook123 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

You know Spurt, you really have to hand it to Brother Mikey... Somehow, he's managed to keep this tub afloat (barely, by some calculations) for his entire reign of, uh, boredom... with deteriorating variety, programming and hosting and somehow still managed to eek out higher prices... 

That's what you get for getting an MBA from Northwestern U.  No glitz, no glitter there.  Just sound business practices.  Next CEO should come from a party school like - you name it.

Works for me... After all, there is ALWAYS a middle ground... Be nice if he found it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@katiescarlett wrote:

OKay, I am next.  I saw the Valerie cats in sweaters and thought they were cute, as were the dogs, but since they were not black Labs, I passed.  By the way, did you know yesterday was National Black Dog Day!  It promotes the idea that black dogs are not mean or viscious and are just as lovable as any other color.  Hear Hear!  I love my black dogs!  By the way, love the pic of the dog in the lobster costume, the look on its face is priceless.

So, I replied to the thread, what was my best purchase in Sept. and my reply was NOTHING!

So, I will be stuck inside all weekend due to the record torrential rains we are going to have.  Sadly canceled my riding lesson tomorrow, but did not want to be driving while pulling a horse trailer with precious cargo inside while it is raining like the dickens.  Charleston has basically shut down due to the flooding.  Thankfully I am not in a flood zone.  Now I just have to figure out how I will get the dogs out to potty this weekend!

And with what is planned for QVC for the weekend, looks like I will be reading and doing laundry rather than watching the boring shows.  

I would never buy a mattress off tv.....and you are right, EVERYONE is doing a throw!  I am surprised there are no Temp-tation throws or WEN scented Poo-Pourri.

@katiescarlett  Hi KS! It looks like both Carolinas are being hit with torrential rains---stay inside and stay safe!!! I'm glad you aren't in a flood zone......Rainy days do not make good days for taking the doggies out---don't you wish canines would learn how to use a litter box---LOL! Woman LOLWoman Wink

I didn't know about National Black Dog Day---or I would have done something in memory of a friend's black lab---her name is Misty and she went to the Rainbow Bridge---  Such a sweet dog too!!! Woman Sad  I never thought black dogs were vicious, but I know there is a bad feelings about black cats---but my black cat named Reggie was very sociable with people and other animals and not a mean bone in her body!!!  I guess these dogs and cats were victims of just bad rumors or bad press!!!! 

That poor dog in the Lobster costume he looks downright embarrassed.....I was a bit miffed that since I signed up for a volunteer project which happens to be at the same time as the Pet Halloween Contest this weekend that was always a blast to see the pets in their costumes--LOL!!! I'm sorry I'll have to miss it!!!...there will be days and weeks with no special events or things to do and then everybody plans theirs all at the same time!

Take care Katie and stay out of the rain!!!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Thanks again Spurt for the weekend update gotta love those kitty pics because there is nothing to talk about for the Q weekend (as every weekend!)

Gee I used to have Q on in the background while doing other things around the house -- just in case I heard or saw a must have item.....gone are those days too!!

Enjoy your weekend ! I'm kitty sitting the most loving & adorable kitty.  

image.jpeg

He's guarding the treats and my kitty says " oh she's leaving again - Im going too I'm crabby!"

image.jpeg

@homedecor1 wrote:

Thanks again Spurt for the weekend update gotta love those kitty pics because there is nothing to talk about for the Q weekend (as every weekend!)

Gee I used to have Q on in the background while doing other things around the house -- just in case I heard or saw a must have item.....gone are those days too!!

Enjoy your weekend ! I'm kitty sitting the most loving & adorable kitty.  

image.jpeg

He's guarding the treats and my kitty says " oh she's leaving again - Im going too I'm crabby!"

image.jpeg

@homedecor1  Hi HOMEDECOR1---Your kitty and the kitty your cat sitting for are absolutely adorable!!!  That's funny how the one kitty is guarding the treats---LOL!!! I know my Figgy is a bit selfish and won't let poor little Puddin any treats!!!

I agree QVC used to be in the background while I cleaned but no more---with repettive products and annoying hosts---it's no longer a fun shopping option---so I will put on some music instead.....

Have a great weekend!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mewsmomtoo wrote:

@Spurt wow, what a weekend! Thank you for the warning about Serta on Sunday, mattresses are probably my all-time least -favorite product. I think Grumpy Cat would say " I watched QVC on a Sunday once, it was awful!"

The cats in knit clothing are so funny & I loved the expression of the dog in the lobster costume too. He seemed a little alarmed to find himself dressed in that & having his picture taken to capture the moment forever :-)  Gotta love all these animals who allow their humans to dress them up ♡ You really do an amazing job matching pictures to thoughts & your weekly post is something I really look forward too - Anna Griffin's blog & your posts help make my week!

College football is a disaster here in AZ after we had such high hopes :-(  Tomorrow ASU plays UCLA in Pasadena & sadly that will be our only trip to a major bowl this year.  Stanford is actually a favorite of mine except when they are playing AZ teams so I am rooting for U of A but they have little real chance of winning. At least we have the Cardinals who are home against the Rams so we should have a win on Sunday, yea....I'm glad your Spurs are warming up in the wings, you have something to really look forward to!  I love playoff baseball so I will be able to watch some of that at my parents' place (I reduced my cable & I have no sports channels or TBS which is where most of the baseball is, oh well)

Good luck to those of you in the path of all the rain & wind, like Spurt we would take some of that from you if we could!  I hope you stay safe & dry!

@mewsmomtoo  Hey MEWS!!!  Don't ya think that Grumpy Cat should be the official spokes cat for QVC or at least for us disgruntled customers---Cat LOLCat LOL

Well former Spur, Sean Elliott, is probably sad that his AZ Wildcats aren't doing too well--and I'm sure Spur's fans will hear all about it, once the Spurs resume televising their games, since he is the Spurs TV analyst and he always fits in some AZ stuff whenever he can.......

I think Al Michaels the NBC NFL announcer went to ASU if I'm not mistaken!!! 

But the AZ NFL Cardinals are looking GOOD---really GOOD!!! Woman Very Happy They seem to be the best team in the NFC right now!!!  The Cards QB just has to stay healthy and I do like WR Larry Fitzgerald as a person & player!!!

Enjoy your baseball---between brawls in the dugouts, and people in the stands having to dodge baseballs and ducking so they won't get hit in the stands  and people almost dropping their kids while they are trying to catch a stray baseball---it looks like baseball has put some excitement in their games---why I just might have to tune in---LOL Woman LOLWoman Wink

Dogs usually don't seem to mind wearing clothes or costumes, but that guy in the Lobster outfit does look a bit embarrased Cat LOL

You take care and have a good weekend!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue in cincinnati wrote:

Hi Spurt:  This week my favorites were the cat with the big gold bow on it's

head, the dog in the lobster costume and the dog asleep on the bed!  That one yellow & white cat looked positively ticked off!!  When the ears go back, it's time to move out of swiping range!

You mentioned last week that one of your favorite places to shop is "Home Goods" - one of mine, too.  I can't resist their dishes, mugs, holiday dishes, wreaths...

Went to buy good friend some things for her birthday, and ended up buying bowls from Italy with beautiful pumpkins painted on them, for myself.  Don't know where I'll put them, but couldn't resist. 

Another friend and I were going back up to the antique mall Wed., when we spotted a store called "The Christmas Tree Shops".  We stopped to eat nearby in an O'Charlie's, and asked the waitress about the store.  She recommended it, saying it was sort of like Big Lots.

Well, 2-1/2 hours later, we left  "The Christmas Tree Shops" - it was a cross between "Tuesday Morning", "Home Goods" and "Michaels".

Lots of Fall decorations, china, glassware, window treatments, high end food & teas, Polish stoneware, etc...

My friend even found a solar lightpost she'd been looking for. Needless

to say, we never got to the antique mall.  We also stopped at our favorite nursery on the way home and bought mums.  Seems like all I've been doing lately is shopping, but not at QVC (except Linea in Sept.).

I dread all the upcoming Christmas gift shows on QVC.  The past few years I rarely watch from October - December.  They are mind numbingly

boring with the same old products from year to year.  And, if Jim Shore gets a show, they'll put it on at 3am!  The only show I'm looking forward to

is Linea on Oct. 7th, but will have to set the alarm as it's on at 6am.  Meanwhile, in the evenings, there are HOURS of D&B, Wen, Philosophy,

Cooking, shoes (Clarks & Orthoheel), expensive beauty products and my least favorite hosts.  Even VPH shows, which I used to look forward to, have become boring - first all the mercury glass and now mosaics. 

Well, have a nice weekend.  It rained all day on Friday and is supposed to

rain Saturday with temps in the low 50's.  Maybe I'll actually get back to the antique mall, as husband will be watching football all weekend. 

Thanks again for all your time and effort to entertain us. Sue

@Sue in cincinnati  Hi SUE---

Yes, that orange cat  looks like it's had ENOUGH and ready to give someone or somethng a good cuffing!---LOL 

Those other photos were my favorites too.......gotta love cats with bows and that Lobster Dog---

Oh yes Home Goods has some wonderful things----and they are constantly bringing in something new and different, that is why I love to shop there---Gee if QVC could only take a que (pardon the pun) from them.......and bring in NEW AND DIFFERENT merchandise!!!  I saw those pumpkin bowls and they were lovely---hope you enjoy them!!!  And I bet you don't have to worry about them cracking, crazing, or exploding either unlike a certain other brand that shall remain nameless!!!  (some brands need to worry about improving their quality rather than expanding their line and getting into Christmas tree manufacturing)---

It sounds like a wonderful Wednesday---a nice lunch and then some shopping and The Christmas Tree Shops sounds like a fun store!!!  And your post reminded me ---I always forget about Tuesday Morning too---haven't been there in a while and a very nice Big Lots in the same shopping center too----Looks like I need to expand my shopping horizons Woman Wink.....

And whoever is the buyer for QVC needs to expand their horizon too---I mean REALLY it looks like they just order MORE OF THE SAME--- do people really buy the SAME things for gifts year after year!!!!  Im sure kids or grandkids don't want those same ole qwappy toys, and after someone has bought a throw---do they just get another throw, or more pairs of Little Mismatch socks???????????????????  And yes you can return items until 1/31/16---but the customers have to eat the original shipping and that can add up FAST!!!  It seems that QVC only attracts "the hosts are your friends" crowd, or desperate shoppers that wait until the last minute to shop and then sit on pins and needles hoping their gifts arrive in time for Christmas!!!! 

I agree QVC is stuck in a rut and I don't enjoy all the Beauty Shows---there's only 2 products I order from QVC and do it online and not by show watching, and the rest I get from the drug store and 1 item from the department store ......  And QVC's clothes are a disaster now---inconsistent sizing, and some of their so called "designers".I'm not a fan---don't like Graver, Women With Control, or Logo!!!  (Linea and a couple other brands are an exception) And rest of QVC stuff on air is the same ole junk---poo pourri, Bliss Lights, flashlights, and shoes (and who wants to pay the "try on fee" if they don't fit)_

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb  Oh, I think QVC has found their niche audience---the crowd that thinks, "the hosts are their friends" or "desperate shoppers" the type that wait until the last minute to purchase Christmas gifts---and then bite their fingernails worrying whether QVC or USPS will let them down and if the gifts they ordered will arrive on or before Christmas (maybe QVC can start their own TLC reality show--DESPERATE SHOPPERS ...maybe I should trademark that name Woman Wink

I flipped channels and caught some of the Silver Creede Shows and just flipped on by----I mean really those bracelets the hosts are raving about because they are real silver---originally $49 and special sale price $29 -- I wonder how much silver, because you can find the same thing at Target in Stainless Steel for $19---And of course QVC can't show any jewelry without including fake diamonds (rolling my eyes)....I had to laugh because some of the "sale prices" the Q knocked off a WHOMPING $2.40---LOL!!! And this was the last big jewelry event for the year????????????????...what can one say!!!!  And before someone says it YES I DID CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!!

Oh STEVIE---you had me ROFL with your description of our favorite "expert" ....all I can say is you NAILED IT.....Woman WinkWoman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Now there is one thing that QVC has actually done rather well--and they've proven it with Dooney (and other vendors too)....can you say OVERKILL!!!

Well Stevie I hope your part of town doesn't get flooded and you and Nick stay safe!!! And I concur, nothing is more "enjoyable" than watching weather forecasters explaining what has already happened!!!!! (it's the only time they are actually accurate) And they get paid for this!!!!!  Why didn't I get into this field of employment!!!!

And I just want to put my DS up for adoption ....... she put me through the wringer insisting that I had not given her a DVD back, and I know I had.....I relived the moment a couple Saturdays ago when I specifically told her I'm giving the DVD back to you and am putting it on the backseat of your car.......Then she called me this morning saying she needs the DVD back and she remembers giving it to me---and I told her yes, I watched it and GAVE IT BACK!!!!  So she was so insistent I tore my house apart looking for the darn thing----and lo and behold and calls me saying "she found it laying on her DVD player"....ARRGGHH!!!!  SHE NEVER LISTENS TO ME!!!!  Well at least she called me to apologize.......

Well gotta run.......I'm helping fill up shoe boxes with a toy, clothes and school supplies for needy kids......

Take care and stay dry!