Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? PREVIEW 10/3-10/4, MUK LUKS, BAGS, AND SHEEP!

Hey @Spurt and @katiescarlett... hope all is well. Today was actually a pretty day here, and hope things are looking up in Carolina KS... We had some minor flooding, but nothing like experienced further south...

I'm going to let you both keep your sisters... Smiley Wink Life's too short for any more hurdles than it already presents... And speaking of hurdles, too bad, Spurt, about your Target adventure. I generally find them to operate pretty well around here and while I don't frequent The Mart, have to agree, overall, I vastly prefer Target, though I wish they'd lose some of the groceries and bring back more of the things that started me shopping at Target in the first place... Safeway is my pet peeve. They always have at least one line open, you know, whether they need it or not...

As for the Q, it's all been said. The truly lousy holiday offerings thus far speak so much louder than words...

Have a good week!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@Spurt so sorry to hear about the losses in your family but I understand, I am in a similar situation with only my brother and his daughter as my immediate family so we, too, have cut way back on gift giving at the holidays.  If I see something I think either of them will like, I tend to buy it when I see it and either gift it right away (if the timing makes sense) or hold it for the holidays.  Also, as you mentioned, the prices are above and beyond what we usually spend.  Stocking stuffers for over $30, well, no, just no.

I have gotten so I enjoy the small things in life about the holiday, like spending time with family and friends, decorating the house, baking cookies, rather than buy, buy, buy.  Of course I realize that QVC's purpose in life is to sell, sell, sell but they have to do better than just the same old, same old to convince me if they want to be someone that I consider buying from.

Like you, I didn't even cruise past the Q on Sunday, just avoided it altogether. 

@GinaV24 Hi GINA I know exactly what you mean about the Christmas Holiday Season----I do enjoy decorating my home, the Christmas concerts, touring special decorated neighborhoods, and Hill Country towns, watching Christmas movies, the Christmas Eve candleight service, and getting together with family & friends.....so much better than running ragged to buy, buy, buy.....and then after the holiday having to return a lot of stuff too!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@katiescarlett  OMG!!!  on the news I saw some of the flooding in South Carolina!!!!  And it just makes me madder that they actually wanted y'all to come to work!!! ---AMAZING!!!!   It looks like it should have been declared a state of emergency!!! I'm hoping that in your area that all the rain and flooding subsides QUICKLY! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Hey @Spurt and @katiescarlett... hope all is well. Today was actually a pretty day here, and hope things are looking up in Carolina KS... We had some minor flooding, but nothing like experienced further south...

I'm going to let you both keep your sisters... Smiley Wink Life's too short for any more hurdles than it already presents... And speaking of hurdles, too bad, Spurt, about your Target adventure. I generally find them to operate pretty well around here and while I don't frequent The Mart, have to agree, overall, I vastly prefer Target, though I wish they'd lose some of the groceries and bring back more of the things that started me shopping at Target in the first place... Safeway is my pet peeve. They always have at least one line open, you know, whether they need it or not...

As for the Q, it's all been said. The truly lousy holiday offerings thus far speak so much louder than words...

Have a good week!

@stevieb  I just don't know what happened with that Target Store---that store is usually pretty busy, but I have never seen anything like it!!!!  I think what's happening is that the shopping center is becoming more and more popular and more folks are chosing to shop there then at the open air mall across the road!!!  ---it's turned into a small city!!!  New restaruants and more stores are still being added!!!!  ....They even have a new FANCY restaurant that includes a bowling alley??????????!!!!!  -.And near the vback of the Center are some Condos (I saw them on the Real Estate Showcase TV show "only" $370,000) and you can be right near TJ Maxx/Home Goods to be first in line for sales----LOL

And I think the grocery stores have taken a que from Walmart.....they have about 5 Express Lines open, but only 2 for bigger orders---WHATS UP WITH THAT!!! 

As for the Q and their Gift Guide Shows---I think Mews is right, the Q must be working on a new revised version of the Flashpad for your gift giving pleasure, and as I flipped through the channels and spotted Carolyn's Holiday Shop a I saw YOUR personal favorite---poo pourrii--make sure you stock up!!!! And also another Q favorite THE ONE AND ONLY EPILATATOR  (what "great" gifts) ....Woman LOL

Now STEVIE are you sure you don't want to adopt my DS----I'll throw in a special Eli Manning poster Woman Wink

Valued Contributor

@katiescarlett  Came to Spurt's thread to see if maybe you had posted an update to your situation. I hope you & your animals are still safe with no flooding on your property. I have seen some of the coverage of what is happening in South Carolina & it is BAD!  Take care & let us know what is happening when you a chance. I will keep SC in my prayers.

Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Have a good week!

Hey stevieb,

I feel guilty saying that, other not being able to go to work for two days plus having a pond in one of my pastures, this was a non-event for me.   I took advantage of the day off to go into the town of Lexington today to get horse feed, and other than the empty pond at Old Mill, where a dam broke, it was business as usual.  I will have a better feel for it tomorrow when I go into work in Columbia and cross the rivers.  My sister still has no water, and the University canceled classes for the rest of the week rather than stress out a fragile infrastructure with 34,000 students and 6,000 faculty and staff converging on the city.   The U. has water but still under a boil water advisory.  It is total destruction in a lot of areas, roads washed out, dams broken, businesses flooded (brand new PetSmart, Michaels, Marshall's, Ruby Tuesday, Smashburger, Staples, etc.).  A friend was in CT and her friend was taking care of her house and cats and one of her old blind cats drowned.   Columbia took the brunt of it, as did Charleston and Georgetown, the latter where our marine lab is.  Luckily the lab is on pilings so the water did not get in, but it did flood the maintenace building.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

@mewsmomtoo wrote:

Hey @Spurt, so the Cards managed to lose to the Rams, but at least your Redskins won & what does THAT say about the Eagles??  :-)  Sean Elliott's beloved Wildcats lost big to Stanford :-(  but the Sun Devils beat UCLA at UCLA. I think they suffered the same issue as the Cards & misunderestimated (that's Texan, right?)their opponent so ASU was able to pull it together & get thewin. Congrats to UTSA on their victory over UTEP! That must have been a relief to the players.  I do have a question tho': The schedule says they play at the Alamodome? Isnt that where the Spurs used to play?  Is that why they built them a new place? (Not so new now, Iwas visiting SA when it was being built)  

And yes, i believe Al Michaels did attend ASU. He is such a great announcer, a true professional & his 1980 hockey call always gives me goosebumps & makes me smile ear to ear "Do you believe in miracles?!  YES!!!!"   What an amazing moment in sports history! :-D

Hey, hey now about baseball, what is a child compared to a ball hit by a profesdional player? And they're just trying to get the crowd personally involved when they bang those foul balls into the crowd. As for the brawls, well, someone screwed up, it was supposed to be th he N-A-T-S in the playoffs, not the M-E-T-S so Bryce Harper was just blowing off a little steam...yeah...that's it...just blowing off a little steam.   

Actually, there was some awesome baseball this weekend, trying to get the AL West Division settled which was great because it saved me from having to watch much of that Cardinals game (although you are right about Larry Fitzgerald, a great guy on & off the field!)

You are so lucky to have Red Zone, my BIL with the 50" TV had it a couple of years ago. I miss watching sports on that beautiful TV. I have an old box TV, but at least it is a25", it's  a hand me down but much better than my old 20" that was a color TV, but only one color:green! 

Wednesday is a 24 hour Craft Day on HSN so I will be watching as much as I can. I am a crafter & a crazy card maker & now there's a new thing called pocket letters that are brilliant! Which all reminds me I nedd to make my Halloween wreath in the next couple of days or it will be Christmas before I get it done ! :-)

And I am on a smart phone, which I love,  but it S-U-C-K-S when it comes these boards. I really should do something with my laptop (dropping it in the garbage leaps to mind!)

@katiescarlett, so sorry to read about your town's flooding issues. That's going to be a hardship for a while. Very glad that you & all your animals are safe, even if they arent choosing to be dry! We had a mare who stayed outside anytime it was her choice. I used to think it was maybe because she was a big time show horse for about eight years & didnt have a lot of "outside time", but now I think some just enjoy the sensation of freedom & facing the weather. I hope you continue to stay safe even as the university is requiring yiur presence. Institutions of most kinds are not renowned for their common sense. 

Hey mewsmoto,  thanks, it is disaster in the city, and I will get a first hand look tomorrow when I report to work at the Univ.   Where I am, other than washouts on the dirt roads, it was nothing except a lot of rain.  I did have a pond in one field but it has drained away.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

@katiescarlett Glad to hear you & your animals remain safe. I hope you are able to drive where you need to go & that the damage in your area isn't too severe. I am so sorry to hear & see what has happened to your beautiful state. Good luck.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@katiescarlett  Glad to hear that you and your animals are safe.  So sad about the old blind cat that drowned Woman Sad   Please be careful as you drive into Columbia, we have a saying here in San Antonio, TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN.....so if you come across flood waters, don't be a hero, either turn around and go home, or find a safe route even if it's longer and takes twice the time to get there (IF there is a safer route)....too many people have had to climb up trees waiting to be rescued as they watch their car float down the swift waters....or worse scenario---they have drowned!!!  PLEASE STAY SAFE!!!   My thoughts are prayers are with you and your animals, and all the folks in the Carolinas!  Keep us informed on what's going on!

And I can't believe these idiots on ESPN actually debated on whether it was a wise decision to move the S.Carolina college football game to Baton Rouge, LA---they had to debate that??????????????---WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS--don't they watch the news!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Katiescarlett, so glad that you and the animals are safe. I've been watching the news, and it is a bad situation in SC. Stay safe.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain