Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? PREVIEW 1/16-17-WHAT A BEAUTY! AND TIME TO GET LAZY!

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb  Hey STEVIE I hope you had a good weekend with good weather.....

Saturday I just did volunteer work and went to movies (Star Wars) and Saturday evening after the movie I came home, collapsed on the couch and watched the second game of the NFL playoffs (Cards/Pack)......And then Sunday was awakened to someone pounding just when I thought I'd sleep in....it was one of my neighbors 2 houses down building something at 7AM???????!!!!!!!  Crazy??????  I don't know the neighbor well, she is a little older than me, her son and grand kids live in town and come to see her often.....and it was her son doing the hammering!!!  What a way to start the day.....Woman Tongue  Then I just watched football all day Sunday....

There's an interesting bashing Wally World thread regarding their store closings (none here)....but I think they are picking and choosing their battles and closing mostly their Wal Mart Express/Neighborhood Stores....we have one here, built near a fancy subdivision (people didnt want them there), Wally built any way and no one shops there...Oh and Wally is concentrating on expanding overseas too, just like QVC and Brazil is also one of Wally's target places too....what the heck is going on in Brazil that U.S. retailers are making it a gathering place!!!  I guess they are striking now with the U.S. $ being strong perhaps who knows how the minds of the retail moguls work!!!  Stranger than any Sci Fi movie if you ask me....

No Q watching for me at all---did not watch any of the beauty shows nor the La-Z-Boy shows either.....BTW what is QVC doing with all these hosts having added 3 more...some speculate to do live shows on Q Plus....it seems just recording and taping would be a better solution since they show the same stuff so often....

Have a good week!

Oh brother @Spurt, you just have to love these weekend Harry Homeowners getting started at the crack of dawn... Around here there's a law that you have to wait until at least eight, though that's not much better when trying to sleep in... 

Weather wise, as noted in another post, it appears winter has arrived in The Qwapitol, but we'll see how long it lasts and, of course, whether the prognostications are worth the paper they're printed on...

I think Walmart felt into the same boat as so many retailers have done over the years... Their success led them to go hog-wild opening additional stores and then they found out there just isn't enough business to sustain them all... For some retailers, this plan actually led to their ultimate demise, but I suspect it won't in this instance... My immediate area has three, but none of them is a "super" store, which might actually be really useful. One is a 'regular' mart, one is mostly food and I believe the third is another run of the mill Walmart., but having only been in it twice over the course of many years, can't really say.. I go to any of them only occasionally because the shopping experience is lacking...

I have no idea (and even less interest...) what the Q is up to and specifically why oh why they keep hiring hosts when they don't even use some of the better ones (the name Alberti comes to mind) they already have... Instead, they keep assigning more and more shows (same products, of course...) to those I simply can't and won't watch... and let's face it, we all know who they are... La Marm, for one, and then take your pick of those who have pretty much commandeered Monday nights, one of whom is simply overexposed and the other of whom just annoys on every level... QVC, (like Walmart), can over-step and begin broadcasting on each and every available channel and unless they change up their act, freshen up their merchandise and instruct their hosts to take it down about a half dozen notches, I still won't be tuning in...

You too, Spurt, have a good week... And incidentally, I see there's plenty of fodder for merriment coming up next weekend... with YET another day of Dyson on Saturday and a full day spent in that kitchen on Sunday... Such innovation... such variety... such non-starters... such Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

@stevieb  Oh STEVIE...MORE vacuuming...a bit IRONIC--why.I even had to do some vacuuming when I volunteered ....perhaps I angered the Dyson "gods"..but oddly their vacuum was NOT a Dyson.....LOL!!!   And then in the kitchen all day---what is Q trying to be now--The Food Network---I guess DV will be polishing up his happy dance shoes......maybe they will employ contests amongst the QVC hosts ala CHOPPED and WORST COOKS IN AMERICA!

Yep, we have the supposed "quiet time" in our Association's guidelines too, but the problem is that one one follows rules anymore or they think that rules apply to everyone else but them.....Thankfully the DYI early project was an exception and NOT the norm around here.....But I remember when I first moved in, someone had moved and decided to rent out their home and see what it would be like to be a landlord and boy did he pick "the cream of the crop".....I could tell you stories about the tenants---first it was the wild stewardesses, then they moved out and college students moved in and  turned his former home into a sequel to Animal House all they were missing was John Belushi....I had "the noise police" on speed dial back in those days!!! Thankfully the owner didn't like being a landlord to hooligans and sold the home to a nice QUIET couple...SHEESH!

Last evening went with a friend to Wally World---she picked up a few things and we looked at the Better Homes and Garden stuff---I was looking for a new door mat (better ones at Target or Kirklands so NO SALE!!!)  I bought a magazine & BH&G candle that was it....of course we had to stand in a long line---why do they bother calling it an EXPRESS line anyway---then there was a problem with a customer's gift card not going through---would the lazy supervisor get off her rear end to help find out what was wrong---NO---the cashier had to go back and forth to try new tricks to make it work---finally the cashier decided to clear the mess and start from scratch which worked (no thanks to the Supervisor)---even my friend commented that the delay was LAZY MANAGER'S FAULT!!!  I told my friend that's why I try to avoid Walmart and use it only as a last resort---BETTER OPTIONS OUT THERE (much like QVC)....

As far as retailers, I remember my relative that worked in management in retail explained how stores over exapand and get in trouble.....I think Wally is pulling back to not fall over the retail cliff......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IN MEMORIAM...

BLLDH.png

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@katiescarlett wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb  Hey STEVIE I hope you had a good weekend with good weather.....

Saturday I just did volunteer work and went to movies (Star Wars) and Saturday evening after the movie I came home, collapsed on the couch and watched the second game of the NFL playoffs (Cards/Pack)......And then Sunday was awakened to someone pounding just when I thought I'd sleep in....it was one of my neighbors 2 houses down building something at 7AM???????!!!!!!!  Crazy??????  I don't know the neighbor well, she is a little older than me, her son and grand kids live in town and come to see her often.....and it was her son doing the hammering!!!  What a way to start the day.....Woman Tongue  Then I just watched football all day Sunday....

There's an interesting bashing Wally World thread regarding their store closings (none here)....but I think they are picking and choosing their battles and closing mostly their Wal Mart Express/Neighborhood Stores....we have one here, built near a fancy subdivision (people didnt want them there), Wally built any way and no one shops there...Oh and Wally is concentrating on expanding overseas too, just like QVC and Brazil is also one of Wally's target places too....what the heck is going on in Brazil that U.S. retailers are making it a gathering place!!!  I guess they are striking now with the U.S. $ being strong perhaps who knows how the minds of the retail moguls work!!!  Stranger than any Sci Fi movie if you ask me....

No Q watching for me at all---did not watch any of the beauty shows nor the La-Z-Boy shows either.....BTW what is QVC doing with all these hosts having added 3 more...some speculate to do live shows on Q Plus....it seems just recording and taping would be a better solution since they show the same stuff so often....

Have a good week!

Oh brother @Spurt, you just have to love these weekend Harry Homeowners getting started at the crack of dawn... Around here there's a law that you have to wait until at least eight, though that's not much better when trying to sleep in... 

Weather wise, as noted in another post, it appears winter has arrived in The Qwapitol, but we'll see how long it lasts and, of course, whether the prognostications are worth the paper they're printed on...

I think Walmart felt into the same boat as so many retailers have done over the years... Their success led them to go hog-wild opening additional stores and then they found out there just isn't enough business to sustain them all... For some retailers, this plan actually led to their ultimate demise, but I suspect it won't in this instance... My immediate area has three, but none of them is a "super" store, which might actually be really useful. One is a 'regular' mart, one is mostly food and I believe the third is another run of the mill Walmart., but having only been in it twice over the course of many years, can't really say.. I go to any of them only occasionally because the shopping experience is lacking...

I have no idea (and even less interest...) what the Q is up to and specifically why oh why they keep hiring hosts when they don't even use some of the better ones (the name Alberti comes to mind) they already have... Instead, they keep assigning more and more shows (same products, of course...) to those I simply can't and won't watch... and let's face it, we all know who they are... La Marm, for one, and then take your pick of those who have pretty much commandeered Monday nights, one of whom is simply overexposed and the other of whom just annoys on every level... QVC, (like Walmart), can over-step and begin broadcasting on each and every available channel and unless they change up their act, freshen up their merchandise and instruct their hosts to take it down about a half dozen notches, I still won't be tuning in...

You too, Spurt, have a good week... And incidentally, I see there's plenty of fodder for merriment coming up next weekend... with YET another day of Dyson on Saturday and a full day spent in that kitchen on Sunday... Such innovation... such variety... such non-starters... such Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

stevie, they are closing one Wal-Mart in our area but it will be no big loss on my part as I don't shop there.  The prices are not that great and I don't like their business philosophy - I remember when they used to have banners touting how many jobs they saved in the US by selling certain products.  But, they are building a new neighborhood market in what I think is a bad spot - it is really going to mess up the traffic in that area, which is already bad. 

Cold weather has arrived here although I dare say parts of the US would consider it downright balmy here with temps in the 40's.  I hope we don't get snow, I hate snow, complicates my life.  Have to keep the horses locked  up in the barn, creating more work for me keeping it clean.  Then I worry about losing power and water even though I have a generator - I am just getting too old to pull the cord on it.  And since I am out in the country, we are the last to get our roads cleared and the good ole' boys drive like it is dry and sunny on the two lane rural roads.  Very dangerous.

I hope you are able to get your logo lock bag before the color you want sells out.Woman LOL

I see the plant shows are starting.  I remember years ago ordering something from Roberta's.  It died while still in the "guarantee" period so i called for replacement.  Without a doubt some of the rudest customer service people ever.  Acted like I was pulling a scam or something.  I will buy from my local garden centers, better prices and better plants.  And Cottage Farms' prices on daylilies are ridiculous - there are tons of backyard daylily sellers in the US who will sell you fans at good prices, with free fans included.  Did you know there are over 40,000 varieties of daylilies??

@katiescarlett  My sis was just saying how Wal Mart used tactics to drive all these other stores into bankruptcy and now is closing some of their stores and leaving some areas high and dry and people unemployed!!!  And I concur their prices aren't what they used to be either!!!  And @stevieb will appreaciate this--Wally Word is now trying to do battle with our giant grocery store chain here--HEB....But a word to HEB ---PLEASE don't taut your LOCAL brands as a sales/competition tactic, that is NOT a way to keep customers---some of us DO prefer NATIONAL brands---and if you want to keep me as a customer remember---VARIETY and WELL STOCKED SHELVES makes me happy!!! Anyway, this battle could be interesting and give me something to watch when the NFL season ends---LOL!!!  Woman LOL

As for plants---I have just a few container plants on my patio and purchase from local nurseries......My aunt was an avid gardener and I think she experimented with QVC and she said their plants were disappointing ---never again---she purchased locally too or if she did mail order for something unusual it was with Burpees......

I hope you don't get any snow, nor lose power---keep your horses warm.....and I know the barn kitties will be curled up in the hay.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

IN MEMORIAM...

BLLDH.png

Woman SadWoman SadWoman SadWoman Sad  Oh LOGO we knew thee so well....oh so young too--just beginning to touch on all the Pantone colors of the year too--SNIFF SNIFF!!! Woman SadWoman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

IN MEMORIAM...

BLLDH.png

Woman SadWoman SadWoman SadWoman Sad  Oh LOGO we knew thee so well....oh so young too--just beginning to touch on all the Pantone colors of the year too--SNIFF SNIFF!!! Woman SadWoman Frustrated

I'm sorry Spurt @Spurt... I'll have to respond to your various posts at a later date... I'm just so overcome with emotion right now... I know you'll understand...

Respected Contributor

I haven't had much success with Roberta or even Cottage Farms so while they show lots of pretty things, I buy elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@stevieb I'm hoping that the weather dweebs are wrong - I don't mind a little snow but when it is measured in feet that is way too much work - unless you happen to live at a ski resort. I like to LOOK at the plants I buy - up close and in person - plus I prefer to support the local vendors. I've had far better luck doing that than with the QVC plant vendors.
Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:
@stevieb I'm hoping that the weather dweebs are wrong - I don't mind a little snow but when it is measured in feet that is way too much work - unless you happen to live at a ski resort. I like to LOOK at the plants I buy - up close and in person - plus I prefer to support the local vendors. I've had far better luck doing that than with the QVC plant vendors.

Well @GinaV24, I've been bemoaning the lack of winter, but with highs today of 25, I'm beginning to maybe rethink some of that... Actually, I wouldn't mind it but for the seemingly never ending wind... I don't tend to watch the local forecasters, they just annoy me, but looking at the weather forecasts online, I see that we're slated to get 3-5" on Friday and 5-8" on Saturday, which appears to be a reversal of yesterday's forecast. If that holds, and, more to the point, proves to be accurate, it shouldn't be grossly overwhelming, but would be a lot for this area, which doesn't manage snow well, so it will be a challenge... I haven't heard any mention of measurements in feet, but Pennsylvania always gets way more snow than does The DC region...

Honored Contributor

Well @katiescarlett@Spurt@GinaV24...

The weather predictions for here are all over the place. It snowed a bit tonight and was so pretty... It continues to be very cold here. The predictions range from a few inches to two feet... I guess they like to hedge their bets... It appears, though, this taste of winter will be sort of short-lived, as temps next week are supposed to be back in the 40's. Guess we'll see.

None of the Walmarts around here appear to be closing... I don't go there often and don't much like the store or the company, but do know a lot of folks rely on them, so I guess that's a good thing.