Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? Interesting article maybe QVC should read....

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt -

My point was that pretty much no matter how any customer feels, "I told you so" is all there's going to be, in the end. And okay...you told them so. And they're still gone, so how important IS "I told you so"?

They (and Sears, et al) are gonna do what they're gonna do, and que sera, sera - no matter what anyone thinks, suggests or does. I know that people very much want to believe businesses are listening and will implement everyone's suggestions, I just don't believe it happens in any important way. They might change a little thing here or there, but the big things? Haven't seen it and seriously doubt I will. JMO.

@Moonchilde

Okay so I can believe that businesses are listening but you said you don't believe it happens in any important way.....YET when you are complimenting TJ's a couple of the things you say about them are:

They sell items their customers want. If they stock a new item and it doesn't sell, they stop carrying it. They pay attention to customers' suggestions and stock things people ask for.............

So it seems we may have hit some common ground ......  Woman Wink  And that's what some of us want from QVC too, same as TJ's does.......and I concur any business is not going to implement ALL customer suggestions....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:
@Spurt - good article about the social media component. When American Airlines cancelled their flights on Monday at 11 a.m. so they could get their planes out of the NE, it annoyed me as I had to rescheduled several people who were going to Boston for a meeting. Lo and behold on Tuesday, there's a tweet from Charlotte NC showing all the AA planes on the tarmac. I tweeted back saying -- oh that's where all the cancelled flights went. I got an immediate response from AA saying how they were eager to get back into regular service. So yes companies do pay attention.

@GinaV24

I think companies are very cognizant of social media comments and do all they can to make sure any complaints or negative situations are resolved in order to keep a positive perception about their company.   I had a complaint with a game I had bought for a friend's grand child and I contacted the store and they said I would have to contact Hasbro about it there was nothing they could do.....well I contacted Hasbro on Social Media and got a quick response back and quickly got the situation resolved and they even offered to send me a free game in order to make amends and to assure that they retain me as a customer.  They couldn't have been nicer.......   I made sure I went back and sent a compliment to the organization. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt -

My point was that pretty much no matter how any customer feels, "I told you so" is all there's going to be, in the end. And okay...you told them so. And they're still gone, so how important IS "I told you so"?

They (and Sears, et al) are gonna do what they're gonna do, and que sera, sera - no matter what anyone thinks, suggests or does. I know that people very much want to believe businesses are listening and will implement everyone's suggestions, I just don't believe it happens in any important way. They might change a little thing here or there, but the big things? Haven't seen it and seriously doubt I will. JMO.

@Moonchilde

Okay so I can believe that businesses are listening but you said you don't believe it happens in any important way.....YET when you are complimenting TJ's a couple of the things you say about them are:

They sell items their customers want. If they stock a new item and it doesn't sell, they stop carrying it. They pay attention to customers' suggestions and stock things people ask for.............

So it seems we may have hit some common ground ......  Woman Wink  And that's what some of us want from QVC too, same as TJ's does.......and I concur any business is not going to implement ALL customer suggestions....

@Spurt, just to clarify, I didn't mean "all" businesses, but more the ones who have been under discussion in this thread - QVC, other shopping channels, some major department store chains, etc.  They don't appear to be paying much attention to customers' suggestions/wants.

TJ's does; Amazon certainly does. I'm sure there are others who do; can't think off the top of my head.

I sure get that we would all hope they pay attention but QVC's track record (along with Sears & Penney's) doesn't bear out that they do, other than in superficialities and minor things. 

Some businesses are muuuuch faster to see which way the wind is blowing than others, some implement micro-changes while still stuck in the mud, and some just keep flailing and let the quicksand swallow them. To my eyes, right now QVC is doing #2, and if they don't gear up for #1, IMO will end up as #3. But I don't see any indication they're suddenly paying more attention, when they haven't up to now - QVC variety has tanked in the basement, prices and shipping costs continue to rise. There are no customer 'breaks' or concessions; doesn't look promising to me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Here's the thing (channeling Mary Beth) -

People have been clamoring for QVC to "see it their way" for years now. Rarely is anything suggested on these forums, or whined about or lamented on these forums, taken into account by QVC and what has been asked for actually done.  So, no, really, they aren't listening to the customers who post on the forums. But who knows what they hear from those who don't post, but still buy. Those who post to the forums aren't their only customers. 

Their sales numbers are going down. The sales numbers of pretty much every retailer are going down.  Is it particularly logical to think that with all other stores having trouble, out of all of them it's only QVC who is tanking because they're not operating like the people who post on their forums think they should? 

Logic tells me that in general, QVC is not much different than all the other retailers. They're having the same problems for largely the same reasons.

Yes, the major chains are trying to provide what the customer wants. But look at Penney's and Sears and even Macy's and see that they're not really doing "better" than QVC.  Maybe what "the" customer wants isn't possible any more because there is no longer one main purchasing demographic, but several. They can't stock/sell to please every demographic. Some customers are going to drop out, and they know that, shrug their shoulders, and carry on.

Shopping channels by dint of what they are and how long they've been on the scene are never going to be new, novel, special, exciting, blah blah again. There are too many of them categorized to sell different things. QVC offers the worst prices and s&h of all of them.

I just think that hoping QVC as we once enjoyed it will "listen to us" regarding their business mode, give people what QVC once offered, and the company's business will do a 180 - ain't gonna happen. "Warning" them, "threatening" them or keeping track of how they're doing on the stock market and gloating about it will NOT bring back the Old Days. If QVC goes down, it goes down. But they'll never base their business model on what a couple of dozen women (who incidentally don't spend any $$ at QVC any more anyway) on their forums advise.

What's going to happen in retail will happen. QVC is no longer unique. It will never be unique again.

Certainly not at the rate they're going... Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb

Hey Stevie!  So are you a Breezies Girl now instead of a baganista???

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think from a Canadian perspective that this also applies to Canada's only TV shopping channe, The Shopping Channel. They don't seem to be able to fix their customer service gaffes, aren't very good at shipping times, don't fix things that don't work like their shopping app. I also read all the reviews on glassdoor about this company and they like other shopping companies are slow to respond to any technological changes as they are mired in corporate politics. They have also had corporate reorganizations and layoffs like other retailers too.

I barely watch them on TV anymore and never watch them on my ipad mini since their app doesn't work.

I have moved on to other shopping venues that have free shipping with pickup in stores and an easier shipping and return policy. I'm one of those long time customers that they don't care about very much about as they seek to bring in younger customers. It's very similar to QVC in that respect.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Not on your life... I just decided it was time to shake, uh, things... up... @Spurt...

Woman Very Happy

Incidentally, as you know, we're on the same page about what the Q perhaps ought to do, but I also agree with @Moonchilde that I don't see change in the wind around here... I honestly think they'll fold before they make any meaningful changes. Certainly, looking at the program guide wouldn't indicate anything truly significant in the offing...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Not on your life... I just decided it was time to shake, uh, things... up... @Spurt...

Woman Very Happy

Incidentally, as you know, we're on the same page about what the Q perhaps ought to do, but I also agree with @Moonchilde that I don't see change in the wind around here... I honestly think they'll fold before they make any meaningful changes. Certainly, looking at the program guide wouldn't indicate anything truly significant in the offing...

@stevieb

It is fun to.....errrr....shake things...uh...up..... or take an uplifting outlook....Woman Wink.....

Oh I know QVC plans to pretty much stay the course much like the Titanic going towards the icebergs....Now I did see a glimmer of hope when I saw they brought back some of the jewelry shows and actually listened and implemented a few FB suggestions.......In reality, though I know it was nothing but an illusion and we can expect just more of the same.......SIGH!!!!   But sometimes ya just have to vent because it's so obvious to everyone but the Q.....Woman Sad

I saw something amusing on Valerie's FB Page (I do take a peek from time to time) it was funny because the thing everyone was talking about was not Valerie's Show (although there were still a few of those), but most wanted to know about the top Jayne Brown was wearing which Valerie had inquired herself about and found out that Jayne did not purchase it from QVC....Perhaps JB should replace their current buyers/designers since she seems to have a pulse on something customers like.......Oh there I go daydreaming again.....Smiley Frustrated 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Woman Very Happy

That really is my feeling, in a nutshell. They'll go under or go Evine or LC before they'd spend $$ getting serious.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Woman Very Happy

That really is my feeling, in a nutshell. They'll go under or go Evine or LC before they'd spend $$ getting serious.

@Moonchilde @Spurt... The handwriting is pretty much on the wall and has been for some time. Their financials have been trending down for several years and yet there've been no meaningful efforts afoot to mix it up... Case in point, look at the upcoming TSV's: a ladder, Wen, an air fryer, Ripka, Vitamix... and so on. Honestly, this could be pulled from the program guide for any given week over the course of the past decade... Lip service to change is about all those who are still watching are going to see...