Esteemed Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I wound up awake at midnight - not by plan but because someone in the area just HAD to set off fireworks and I had to calm the cats down before we could go to sleep. What an excellent way to use up that extra champagne! I lived in Atlanta for several years so I also carried forward with the Southern tradition of ham, blackeyed peas & greens!
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Spurt, @Spurt... a little gloom is one thing, I like those kind of days too, but we're talking about two weeks of it and for the bulk of that we had the gloom AND the rain... and the warm air... and the humidity. At least the last few days have just been gloom, cooler and without rain, but any way you slice it, it's getting old. I do, though, love those overcast cold days when snow at least appears to be a possibility...

As for QVC and their TSV, oh please, I can't be bothered... and don't care...

@stevieb  Well we now have the cold AND we've added rain to that....and if you have to go out and about it's not pleasant and oh those drivers that love love love to hydroplane on the roads---We actually got some sleet for about 2 minutes (I guess the weather morons checked their accuracy box that we got our "wintry mix".....honestly!!!) But I don't think I'd like your warm humid air in January either----I wish you sunshine and cool air! Woman Very Happy  It's strange to see bright green grass in winter and even see the trees with some green leaves---thanks to the earlier warm temperatures....normally the grass is brown and the trees all look like sticks (except for the cedar and live oaks).....

I turned on AM STYLE Jane Brown again....and OH MY GOSH---the "savings" the Q is offering....why @stevieb they are taking a whole $3 to $4 off  their prices.Smiley.....meanwhile most retailers have taken a bath with winter clothing due to the mild temperatures and are having sales with 40-60% off and by mid January it will be 75% off.....talk about your UNCOMPETITIVE PRICES --- QVC has nailed that!!!

Gathered with a couple friends to play cards yesterday and the host served ham, black eyed peas, and a vegetable medley and jalepeno cornbread---yum....Woman Very Happy

And then came home and watched a DVD---it was an old Cary Grant movie I had not seen befor, The Amazing Adventure---cute movie.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@lynnsy wrote:

While I didn't manage to stay awake until midnight to toast the new year, I did make sure the champagne I bought didn't go to waste, Mimosa with breakfast!   A little rest and then on to making the traditional bring in the new year vittles.... blackeye peas, cornbread, etc.  Can't break southern tradition.  While I don't live in the south, still have kinfolk there and traditions must go on!

Here's to a new year !!!!!

@vicalynn  HAPPY NEW YEAR LYNNSY---One of my friends had a buffet while we played cards (canasta) and the menu sounded much like yours!!! Very yummy  Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:
@stevieb the weather ppl keep promising sun but so far it has been only minimal in appearance. My solar lights are completely tapped out. Spurt, I agree with you about Chippies arrogance. He did OK the first year because he still had all the talent that Reid had cultivated and until the defensive coordinators figured out his system (I wonder if Reid has a bit of satisfaction in his hear at how well KC has performed and the Eagles have failed). Chip's arrogance in tearing down the team AND his absolute refusal to change his game plan. I felt sorry for that poor CB who was getting trounced by every team every week while Chip refused to doubleteam them. Stevie, all my flowers are so confused. I feel badly for all those farmers and their fruit trees.

@GinaV24  I thought it was a bit wierd that Pat's coach, Belichick defended Chip and knocked the players that Chip disposed of.....he made the comment that those players did not do much on their new teams....perhaps he wants Chip to join the Pats staff---who knows!!!  It will be interesting to see who the Eagles pick for their new coach next season....

And I have the feeling we will pay for the confused fruit trees and farmer's produce at our grocery stores.....Some of the trees here were starting to bloom before we got that cold snap....strange strange strange weather year---One of my friends talked to her friend in Maine and on Christmas Day it was 81 there and they were wearing shorts!!!

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:
I wound up awake at midnight - not by plan but because someone in the area just HAD to set off fireworks and I had to calm the cats down before we could go to sleep. What an excellent way to use up that extra champagne! I lived in Atlanta for several years so I also carried forward with the Southern tradition of ham, blackeyed peas & greens!

@GinaV24  yep the firework fanatics were at it here too.......and not just firecrackers they had those whistling jets and other fireworkds too....Normally if we've had a year with little rain they really put the clamps on firework sales---they are only legal outside the city limits and the firworks sellers offer "safe zones" where the city folks are supposed to pop them....but since we've had so much rain this year the police seem to have let the law ride and it was one of the worse New Year's for fireworks (and all my friends said the same thing about their neighborhoods too).....And so many cats and dogs are terrified of the noise they make too.....Woman Mad  Glad you got your kitties calmed down......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Spurt, @Spurt... a little gloom is one thing, I like those kind of days too, but we're talking about two weeks of it and for the bulk of that we had the gloom AND the rain... and the warm air... and the humidity. At least the last few days have just been gloom, cooler and without rain, but any way you slice it, it's getting old. I do, though, love those overcast cold days when snow at least appears to be a possibility...

As for QVC and their TSV, oh please, I can't be bothered... and don't care...

@stevieb  Well we now have the cold AND we've added rain to that....and if you have to go out and about it's not pleasant and oh those drivers that love love love to hydroplane on the roads---We actually got some sleet for about 2 minutes (I guess the weather morons checked their accuracy box that we got our "wintry mix".....honestly!!!) But I don't think I'd like your warm humid air in January either----I wish you sunshine and cool air! Woman Very Happy  It's strange to see bright green grass in winter and even see the trees with some green leaves---thanks to the earlier warm temperatures....normally the grass is brown and the trees all look like sticks (except for the cedar and live oaks).....

I turned on AM STYLE Jane Brown again....and OH MY GOSH---the "savings" the Q is offering....why @stevieb they are taking a whole $3 to $4 off  their prices.Smiley.....meanwhile most retailers have taken a bath with winter clothing due to the mild temperatures and are having sales with 40-60% off and by mid January it will be 75% off.....talk about your UNCOMPETITIVE PRICES --- QVC has nailed that!!!

Gathered with a couple friends to play cards yesterday and the host served ham, black eyed peas, and a vegetable medley and jalepeno cornbread---yum....Woman Very Happy

And then came home and watched a DVD---it was an old Cary Grant movie I had not seen befor, The Amazing Adventure---cute movie.....

Spurt, Spurt, Spurt @Spurt... You'll just never learn... AM Style, PM Style, Inspired Style... Department or Redundancy Department, that's the Q... Not even to mention that they'd rarely know actual style if it bit them on the, uh, toe... And sales, well, other than some that we saw right before Christmas, which I'm convinced were solely because their more lame than lame holiday offerings had them badly off their established mark... let's face it, we all know 'sale' is a mystery to them...

I usually opt for black eyed peas on NY Day, but this year, already had some green beans cooked, so served those with some rib eyes, hot rolls and twice baked potatoes... I guess I should've done the black eyes for luck, but let's face it, I'm not sure that's ever made much of a difference in the past. Your meal sounds delicious, other than the cornbread... I prefer mine plain and without the peppers... I like jalapenos, but don't love them... To me, they seem to have become a bit overdone in recent years, but that's me...

For the first time in many years, I also actually watched bowl games for a good part of the day. I'm telling you that hunky little cutie from Stanford (Christian McCaffrey) was robbed blind of the Heisman... No contest, he should've won. That boy does it all. It shouldn't matter who's a senior or a junior or whatever, and who might or might not have other chances to win. The best is the best and he IS the best.

Speaking of the weather morons, one of the local stations is running a promotion about how they 'guarantee' their crack (or is it cracked) certified, registered, whatever, whatever, meteorologist will always predict the day's temperature within 3 degrees... Now I ask you, how hard is that to do....? Not even to mention that given the temperature varies throughout most days, he can almost never be wrong...  Sheesh... Today is finally lovely out... Sunny and cool, and wouldn't you know it, I'm too much of a slug to head out... No real errands to run, so I suppose I'll just hang around the house. Meanwhile, Thursday, which was raining and sloppy, I opted to run around a good part of the day. Go figure...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

ha, maybe Belichick and Chip would make a good pair -- both cold fish. the difference being the Patriots have trophies to back up his system unlike the Eagles. Hard to say what happens with players when they are traded - unpredictable results for sure. Except that the Redskins (with LeSean Jackson) certainly improved over the season and won at the Eagles home field. No doubt you are right about us paying for it at the grocery store - always seems to be that way. I just feel badly for the farmers losing their crops
Honored Contributor

Interested @Spurt @GinaV24 @handygal2 to see if the Q reverts back to their more typical stance of hording EP, you know, now that the make or break 4th Quarter was either made or, uh, broken... During the latter part of the holiday shopping season, they were doing those 'EP flash events' to beat the band, but don't think I've noted one since, though I could be wrong... Hope to see one soon. There's actually one 'beauty' item I'd like to reorder, simply because it's easiest bought from here, the shipping is low and the price is no different from elsewhere, but would like to avail myself of EP... And you know, not being among their anointed few who got the Thanksgiving EP offer...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt, yeah fireworks aren't legal here at all but that doesn't stop people. After all that, they set off another round at 6 p.m. on New Year's day - guess they had some left over and decided to celebrate again! Poor Lily ran for cover and walked around the houses looking haunted for an hour.
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Interested @Spurt @GinaV24 @handygal2 to see if the Q reverts back to their more typical stance of hording EP, you know, now that the make or break 4th Quarter was either made or, uh, broken... During the latter part of the holiday shopping season, they were doing those 'EP flash events' to beat the band, but don't think I've noted one since, though I could be wrong... Hope to see one soon. There's actually one 'beauty' item I'd like to reorder, simply because it's easiest bought from here, the shipping is low and the price is no different from elsewhere, but would like to avail myself of EP... And you know, not being among their anointed few who got the Thanksgiving EP offer...

I tend to agree with you @stevieb, that the Q will now go back to limiting their EP "events." As they say, time will tell...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~