Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? DECLINE IN WOMENS CLOTHING SALES

@katiescarlett wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not at all surprised by the decline in sales for kitchen items... It's the same old song... They delete long-standing customer favorites and then beat the few remaining product lines and vendors into the ground... It all boils down to a critical lack of variety...

I'd also note some of it boils down to hosts... and nowhere is this more glaring to me than with the usual kitchen host, though there are others that fit into the same category... They take a somewhat likable individual and program him in that kitchen for six or more hours a week (on top of whatever else he might do), selling the same tired merchandise and offering up the same increasingly tired act (happy dance... yum-yum face) and let's face it, over time, even if you liked him at one time, the shtick gets old... QVC needs to freshen their act across the board and part of that 'freshening' might just involve both the new and different as well as looking at what worked before...

stevie, I used to enjoy the cooking shows, but now all I do is watch a cookbook presentation online after the fact.  And, if I am interested, I buy it somewhere else. 

I never buy clothing any more because of the size inconsistencies, plus, many of the items are not well-made, and the shipping costs are prohibitive to "try something on,"  and the prices have gotten high.  I can't believe the prices of LOGO, and now many lines that used to be reasonable.  So now I buy clothes at places like Kohl's which has good sales and a generous return policy.

And what is with this new "Private Access????"  Like it is some really special thing??!!

@katiescarlett

Private Access?????  I haven't been watching that match so what is that about??????????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can see why the decline in clothing (IMO):

1.  The sizing has been erratic for several years and

2.  Now you have to pay shipping both ways if the item is not defective, which means you pay for the privilege of trying something on

3.  The quality is not as good as it used to be and

4.  The prices have gone way up and clothing is cheaper locally now

The brands that continue to do well are less prone to sizing problems because they are more generously cut. 

Since they got rid of almost all the real designers and replaced them with stylists, the clothing is not as different or cute than what I can find at my local TJ Maxx.  I used to always buy from the designers and I still have many of those pieces that I enjoy wearing. 

However, I don't expect them to figure this out for themselves any time soon.  LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not at all surprised by the decline in sales for kitchen items... It's the same old song... They delete long-standing customer favorites and then beat the few remaining product lines and vendors into the ground... It all boils down to a critical lack of variety...

I'd also note some of it boils down to hosts... and nowhere is this more glaring to me than with the usual kitchen host, though there are others that fit into the same category... They take a somewhat likable individual and program him in that kitchen for six or more hours a week (on top of whatever else he might do), selling the same tired merchandise and offering up the same increasingly tired act (happy dance... yum-yum face) and let's face it, over time, even if you liked him at one time, the shtick gets old... QVC needs to freshen their act across the board and part of that 'freshening' might just involve both the new and different as well as looking at what worked before...

agree with pigeon-holeing hosts into specific shows,  it gets boring switch it up.

@jackthebear @eddyandme @stevieb

And boy the Big spot QVC needs a MAJOR rotation is at host for fashion and their Monday Night Fashion Lineup ---  many don't watch anymore because of their current hosts ---- and I'm one of those!!! 

And you'd think the hosts would get bored too doing the same show, and it might freshen their approach to their jobs which might (and I said might) lead to better presentations!!!

I agree. This glut of host-specific shows has proven to be a big turn-off for me. You'd have thought that when Lisa Robertson left they've have used that as an opportunity to mint a fresh approach. Instead, they went right back to trying to create a Queen Bee... Memo to Boy George: You can't 'create' a Queen Bee, rather, the audience will decide who they like and who they don't... As for Mondays, I used to be a weekly watcher. Now, I never watch and haven't since the 'big reveal'... A little of the senior Monday host goes a long way and I can't bear to watch the junior host... at all... so I don't. Likewise, I almost never watch their home and decor shows anymore because I don't care for the host they usually assign these shows... They have some solid hosts that we never see because they've become so wedded to the host-specific format. Their call, but then it's my call whether to watch or not...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt

Click on the horizontal ad banner at the top of the page

http://www.qvc.com/content/featured/private-access.html

As QVC is starting a no return final sale on some stuff but the catch is you have to sign up and provide your email address in order to see what's on sale as the blue pop-up screen hides what's on sale. The blue popup also hides that new return policy for those items -- that you can't return those private access items unless it's defective. There's a thread in the Community Chat board about it.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/PRIVATE-ACCESS-watch-out-about-the-policy-for-returns/td-...

I think that the community members who are saying that QVC is taking a page out of their Zulily's book and copying them are right. I'll bet this is designed to improve the QVC quarterly reports since those final sales basically can't be returned.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u @katiescarlett

I was curious about the whole 'private access' thing so I gave them a little used email address... One where promotions are automatically routed to a special folder... And interestingly, so far, I haven't received any... While one assumes this is an effort on their part to 'compete', based on the lone 'private access' I've been privy to thus far it's rather lame... It looks like yet another attempt to clear the warehouse of things nobody wants... What it amounted to was less than a page of items marked down, but really who cares... The caveat too, taking a page from Zulily... is they don't accept returns on these items unless they are damaged or unless the wrong item was sent... Whatever...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Lack of style, inconsistent sizing, pricing, quality, etc. I can't buy clothes on the Qbecause the tops go down to my knees!
Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another problem is limited inventory in most categories. "When it's gone, it's gone" has become a QVC mantra.

If I don't see a presentation or just want to think about what I'd like to buy, too bad.  My size or color is usually Xed out. Not even Waitlist.

Reviews always ask if you would recommend a product.  What good would it do since it probably isn't available anyway.

Valued Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@katiescarlett wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

stevie, I used to enjoy the cooking shows, but now all I do is watch a cookbook presentation online after the fact.  And, if I am interested, I buy it somewhere else. 

I never buy clothing any more because of the size inconsistencies, plus, many of the items are not well-made, and the shipping costs are prohibitive to "try something on,"  and the prices have gotten high.  I can't believe the prices of LOGO, and now many lines that used to be reasonable.  So now I buy clothes at places like Kohl's which has good sales and a generous return policy.

And what is with this new "Private Access????"  Like it is some really special thing??!!

@katiescarlett

Private Access?????  I haven't been watching that match so what is that about??????????

It is up at the top of the page.....Private Access.  Deep Discounts for a Limited Time.

Some new marketing ploy, I am sure, to get rid of the leftovers.

By the way, PooPourri has a competitor.  On zulily there is Phat Bottom.Woman LOL

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Q4u @katiescarlett

I was curious about the whole 'private access' thing so I gave them a little used email address... One where promotions are automatically routed to a special folder... And interestingly, so far, I haven't received any... While one assumes this is an effort on their part to 'compete', based on the lone 'private access' I've been privy to thus far it's rather lame... It looks like yet another attempt to clear the warehouse of things nobody wants... What it amounted to was less than a page of items marked down, but really who cares... The caveat too, taking a page from Zulily... is they don't accept returns on these items unless they are damaged or unless the wrong item was sent... Whatever...

Interesting about the returns.  Needless to say, I won't be shopping!  I agree, it is probabably a marketing ploy to get rid of leftovers, what they don't put on zulily.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call