Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? DECLINE IN WOMENS CLOTHING SALES

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not at all surprised by the decline in sales for kitchen items... It's the same old song... They delete long-standing customer favorites and then beat the few remaining product lines and vendors into the ground... It all boils down to a critical lack of variety...

I'd also note some of it boils down to hosts... and nowhere is this more glaring to me than with the usual kitchen host, though there are others that fit into the same category... They take a somewhat likable individual and program him in that kitchen for six or more hours a week (on top of whatever else he might do), selling the same tired merchandise and offering up the same increasingly tired act (happy dance... yum-yum face) and let's face it, over time, even if you liked him at one time, the shtick gets old... QVC needs to freshen their act across the board and part of that 'freshening' might just involve both the new and different as well as looking at what worked before...

@stevieb

Well stated!!! Sunday afternoon during non football season some of the worst TV ever--(not that's its any good the rest of the time either) ....I've taken a peek or two at the kitchen show and its exactly as you stated.....same tired stuff.....same ole routine...and show producers OBSESSED with colors....any customer can recite the colors even better than the hosts...not just a freshening up---they need a total AIRING OUT!!!---  Perhaps that's why they even brought back Polish Stoneware back briefly even though it was only mugs---they realize some type of re-invention is needed---but I think they don't know how to do it.....who are their buyers/programmers---SHEESH! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

if there is a decrease in fashion sales and he made this statement..... isnt it interesting that MANY of the complaints that i have seen on the fashion board are about THESE brands and vendors?

Most QVC key brands continue to perform well, with Logo, Isaac Mizrahi, Susan Graver, and Denim & Co. all recording increases in sales this year.

@sunshine45

That's a great point!!!  If people complain about these brands I wonder if the customers just don't bother to return them back to QVC and instead donate them........

I have sold some of my brand new items on eBay when they haven't worked out or given them to Good Will rather than pay return shipping.  I've been on the Q since the 90's and used to love Susan Graver.  I don't buy her goods any more, just don't like the newer fabrics and don't like the newer peach skin (which used to be so soft).  I don't especially like LOGO but have a couple items.  Basically a couple of vests and a couple of cardigans, that's enough. Denim & Co. was one of my go-to brands early on but not anymore.  Expensive for what you get and again... not that well made and I don't care for the downgrade in fabrics.  

Maybe there are more out there like me?  Who knows.....?

@Q4u  I think there ARE a lot of people like you----  although I didn't sell things on ebay that didn't work out, there were a few I just donated instead of return, but back then I was mostly happy with my purchases so one of two that didnt work I didnt think a return was worth it.....but then more and more my clothing purchases were unsatisfactory (a reorder of a different color was totally different in fabric/quality) and I made darn sure they were returned with an explanation as to the reason why! 

Back in the day I tried Susan Graver for work --- not really impressed with Liquid Knit nor Peach Skin---too much polyester, never purchased again.....  I did like Sport Savvy, Linea, George Simnton, Denim And Company and a few of their "maverick" designers that are no more---back then the prices were reasonable and shipping was off set by then high gas prices and driving time....But QVC drove me away with their higher prices and "try me fee", inconsistent sizing, decline in quality, and direction of their styles (all their lines now look all the same and not my style OR fabric print designs not proportioned right and don't look good on a petite body).....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not at all surprised by the decline in sales for kitchen items... It's the same old song... They delete long-standing customer favorites and then beat the few remaining product lines and vendors into the ground... It all boils down to a critical lack of variety...

I'd also note some of it boils down to hosts... and nowhere is this more glaring to me than with the usual kitchen host, though there are others that fit into the same category... They take a somewhat likable individual and program him in that kitchen for six or more hours a week (on top of whatever else he might do), selling the same tired merchandise and offering up the same increasingly tired act (happy dance... yum-yum face) and let's face it, over time, even if you liked him at one time, the shtick gets old... QVC needs to freshen their act across the board and part of that 'freshening' might just involve both the new and different as well as looking at what worked before...

stevie, I used to enjoy the cooking shows, but now all I do is watch a cookbook presentation online after the fact.  And, if I am interested, I buy it somewhere else. 

I never buy clothing any more because of the size inconsistencies, plus, many of the items are not well-made, and the shipping costs are prohibitive to "try something on,"  and the prices have gotten high.  I can't believe the prices of LOGO, and now many lines that used to be reasonable.  So now I buy clothes at places like Kohl's which has good sales and a generous return policy.

And what is with this new "Private Access????"  Like it is some really special thing??!!

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Respected Contributor

Lack of quality in fabrics, badly designed clothing, wildly inconsistent sizing, and high total shipping cost just to try on something that does not work has large driven me away from QVC and back to my ok'd standbys, which include bro rooms brothers and talbots. I just ordered two great classic yet cool long cardigan sweaters from talbots on sale at a huge savings.

Honored Contributor

@katiescarlett wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

stevie, I used to enjoy the cooking shows, but now all I do is watch a cookbook presentation online after the fact.  And, if I am interested, I buy it somewhere else. 

I never buy clothing any more because of the size inconsistencies, plus, many of the items are not well-made, and the shipping costs are prohibitive to "try something on,"  and the prices have gotten high.  I can't believe the prices of LOGO, and now many lines that used to be reasonable.  So now I buy clothes at places like Kohl's which has good sales and a generous return policy.

And what is with this new "Private Access????"  Like it is some really special thing??!!

I saw that Private Access thing.... not me, I'm not giving them my email so they can bombard me with mails ...~again~.....  I opted out of all their emails once, not doing it again.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

IMO QVC clothing sales absolutely deserve to decline because of how much it costs (loss in shipping charges) just to try on a piece of clothing that doesn't fit.  Shoes and handbags too - even worse because their shipping charges which aren't refunded are even higher.  But listen, QVC, since you no longer refund shipping charges, I have bought a lot fewer pieces of clothing.   It's just too expensive to try something on any more that doesn't fit - and we can't know that because we can't see or feel it first.  

You need to re-think your having ceased refunding the S&H charges before you raise them even more, which is inevitable.

Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? MORE NEWS ON QVC'S FINANCIAL RESULTS

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

Hi @GCR18, Wishing you continued good health and many happy days again.  Glad you have a kitty, and I am sure you'll agree that kitties are worth cleaning a litter box!  I shop Amazon and am continually amazed at all they offer for such good prices.  Take care!

@PamfromCT

Hi Pam.  Actually I had a kitty.  He passed in March.  He was 18 1/2.  I think he held on until I knew I was alright.  No new kitty on the horizon just yet.  It will take time to mend my broken heart. 😻

@GCR18  

I bet your kitty did hang on to provide you with comfort and love you needed during your recovery time....furry friends are wonderful "nurses"....... But it does indeed break our heart when they pass on......  I hope after time has passed that you decide to bring in another furry companion with that unconditional love and they also provide us with a smile....

My sister's kitty passed last fall she swore she'd never have another pet.....then a few weeks ago a 2 yr old kitty showed up on her door step...... he was looking for some help---due to intense heat and lack of food/water, mite infested, scar on the top of his head.....my sister's intent was to restore his health and find him a home or take him to a no kill shelter....she took him to the vet and got him the medical attention he needed, got him  neutered......of course she got attached......but today it doesnt look like the same cat, he looks healthy, happy (loves to play with his new toys) and sits on my sister's lap.....he loves his new life....

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I used to buy a modest amount of clothing from QVC, but many of the brands I liked are gone, and I no longer want to pay for shipping both ways if I buy something that doesn't fit.  Yes, I do check the garment measurements, and they're often off by at least 2"...usually way too big!

@september

Yep, I hear you.... the "click here" measurements....one time I purchased a top it was supposed to be a 29" tunic and actually ended up being 26" not a tunic... 

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I live outside of the contiguous states and S&H rates are rising.  I mainly buy clothing now but that is down to a trickle. I have n graduations, weddings, big occasions anymore.

@traveler

But what about the holidays coming up and all those teacher gifts (even if you don't have kids), your hair stylist, nail person, garbage/recycling people, neighbors that pick up your mail (even when your NOT on vacation), the butcher, the baker, your grocery store cashier........ fill up your gift wing.....Flashpads and Poo-Pourri for EVERYONE!

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:
@Spurt wrote:

@TY wrote:

Ok, I've read all the posts in this thread and the QVC's down numbers explains why QVC has been actually having some real sales like the half price sale on clearance jewelry (even if it was for only a day or two) or the real sale on shoes in the last week in July. QVC isn't known for real sales so the sale on shoes and recently clearance jewelry is a surprise.

I think the likely defaults in customer easy pays is also a reflection of an economy that isn't as healthy as people think.

QVC sells really expensive kitchen gadgets like Kitchenaid stand mixers and Vitamix blenders but just how many are people really going to buy? Those things are on all the time. If I wanted to buy one I'd go to Costco!

@TY

And if someone did purchase a Kitchenaid or Vitamix why would tune in to see it again, that's something that's one and done! And the articles said market soften for kitchen category--- Gee I wonder why (sarcasm to QVC)!

Even QVC's kitchen gadgets are all the SAME thing over and over nothing of interest so I turn the channel and don't buy.  I went to a Kitchen Store and they had all kinds of great things I hadn't seen elsewhere --- and guess what I bought!!! 

Uniqueness = $ales!

I agree however for me.... having purchased both a Kitchenaid mixer and a Vitamix blender I have tuned in after the purchases to see how the presenters are operating the machines and to learn more about the product and especially to watch the recipes, especially the Kitchenaid lady Laura (whom I really enjoyed)....  but after so many watchings I don't need more instruction or recipes and tend to skip them.

My last purchase was a 6qt pressure cooker and find I don't really use it.  

I ordered the Ninja slow cooker/roaster when it first appeared on the Q....  wish I had waited for the one with the see-through top but won't be upgrading.  I love that machine.

But I'm pretty much kitchen applianced out.... some of which are really cheaply made IMHO (Upright food saver).... but I digres.  Woman Wink 

@Q4u

I like Laura the Kithen Aid vendor too....and she tries to provide a lot of info for the merchandise she presents and gives great demos......but gee, instead of going through the colors (AGAIN and AGAIN) it would've been nice if David let her answer viewer questions maybe you wouldn't have had to watch that 2nd time....

As for kitchen appliance purchases I'd rather purchase locally and really think about how often I'd use it while I'm staring at it in person---I have limited kitchen cabinet storage....Every fall I contemplate a slow cooker (comfort food-soups, stews etc), but haven't purchased one yet..

I have purchased a couple of microwave "cookers" and a pasta gadget that didn't work out--LOL