Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? DECLINE IN WOMENS CLOTHING SALES

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

West Chester’s TV shopping network giant QVC saw its shares rebound five percent after falling to a three-year low of $21.61 after an unexpected drop in women’s clothing sales and higher than expected customer-loan losses this summer, writes Joseph N. DiStefano for Philly.com.

Does anyone know what customer-loan losses means?

easy pay? would be my guess

ETA  this was answered upthread

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not at all surprised by the decline in sales for kitchen items... It's the same old song... They delete long-standing customer favorites and then beat the few remaining product lines and vendors into the ground... It all boils down to a critical lack of variety...

I'd also note some of it boils down to hosts... and nowhere is this more glaring to me than with the usual kitchen host, though there are others that fit into the same category... They take a somewhat likable individual and program him in that kitchen for six or more hours a week (on top of whatever else he might do), selling the same tired merchandise and offering up the same increasingly tired act (happy dance... yum-yum face) and let's face it, over time, even if you liked him at one time, the shtick gets old... QVC needs to freshen their act across the board and part of that 'freshening' might just involve both the new and different as well as looking at what worked before...

agree with pigeon-holeing hosts into specific shows,  it gets boring switch it up.
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@cotto22 wrote:

Many of you have pointed out some very valid reasons why QVC's summer clothing sales may have faltered. I agree that there really were not manysummer items offered to begin with. From April on, we have been inundated with long sleeved tops and long pants, hoodies and jackets- as tsv's, hot picks and show inventory. If I hear one more time that we need these because of air conditioning, I will go ballistic! 

Another obvious reason is that to return any clothing item now costs us about $10.00 if you add the cost of the return shipping label and the original shipping cost. Sizing is inconsistent, we all recognize that, and QVC will not take ownership of that significant fact. The click here measurements do not always match the item one receives, and trying to explain that to CSRs is not a day at the beach.

I am not a risk taker, and I don't like to gamble. Buying clothes from QVC is now very much like gambling, and I am not willing to risk $10 on an item that may or may not fit me! It is much safer to order online from a brick and mortar store with free shipping where I can return or exchange if there is an issue.

@cotto22

Very well stated on alll points!!!  And I'm totally with you about going ballistic regarding that ever popular air conditioning comment...... Woman Frustrated

@Spurt I coudn't agree with you more!  It's to expensive to take a chance ordering from them when there are other places to order from should you need to return it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

Ok, I've read all the posts in this thread and the QVC's down numbers explains why QVC has been actually having some real sales like the half price sale on clearance jewelry (even if it was for only a day or two) or the real sale on shoes in the last week in July. QVC isn't known for real sales so the sale on shoes and recently clearance jewelry is a surprise.

I think the likely defaults in customer easy pays is also a reflection of an economy that isn't as healthy as people think.

QVC sells really expensive kitchen gadgets like Kitchenaid stand mixers and Vitamix blenders but just how many are people really going to buy? Those things are on all the time. If I wanted to buy one I'd go to Costco!

@TY

And if someone did purchase a Kitchenaid or Vitamix why would tune in to see it again, that's something that's one and done! And the articles said market softened for kitchen category--- Gee I wonder why (sarcasm to QVC)!

Even QVC's kitchen gadgets are all the SAME thing over and over nothing of interest so I turn the channel and don't buy.  I went to a Kitchen Store and they had all kinds of great things I hadn't seen elsewhere --- and guess what I bought!!! 

Uniqueness = $ales!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I'm not at all surprised by the decline in sales for kitchen items... It's the same old song... They delete long-standing customer favorites and then beat the few remaining product lines and vendors into the ground... It all boils down to a critical lack of variety...

I'd also note some of it boils down to hosts... and nowhere is this more glaring to me than with the usual kitchen host, though there are others that fit into the same category... They take a somewhat likable individual and program him in that kitchen for six or more hours a week (on top of whatever else he might do), selling the same tired merchandise and offering up the same increasingly tired act (happy dance... yum-yum face) and let's face it, over time, even if you liked him at one time, the shtick gets old... QVC needs to freshen their act across the board and part of that 'freshening' might just involve both the new and different as well as looking at what worked before...

agree with pigeon-holeing hosts into specific shows,  it gets boring switch it up.

@jackthebear @eddyandme @stevieb

And boy the Big spot QVC needs a MAJOR rotation is at host for fashion and their Monday Night Fashion Lineup ---  many don't watch anymore because of their current hosts ---- and I'm one of those!!! 

And you'd think the hosts would get bored too doing the same show, and it might freshen their approach to their jobs which might (and I said might) lead to better presentations!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I live outside of the contiguous states and S&H rates are rising.  I mainly buy clothing now but that is down to a trickle. I have n graduations, weddings, big occasions anymore.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

Retail is suffering overall, so this article doesn't really reveal many surprises. They are ALL trying to get it figured out.  Strange how this forum doesn't seem to match up with what QVC sells the most of.  Makes me laugh when I see a presentation of sell outs and come here to read the complaints about the merchandise.  By the way, I rarely shop at Amazon.  And, I am in total agreement with retailers staying ahead of the season when selling clothing.       

@MomCat  sellouts are only half the story---have you read the reviews of the sellouts and what were the ratings like.......what was the percentage of returns.....that impacts the sales figure for the line too....  So just because something sold out doesnt mean that all is fine----I've seen some of Valerie Parr Hill's items sell out and the reviews were scathing  and a lot of reviewers returned the item.... and those that didn't return them and donated them what are the chances they will take a chance and purchase again especially with QVC's "wonderful" "try me fee".....

Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? MORE NEWS ON QVC'S FINANCIAL RESULTS

@stevieb wrote:

I'd say that if they move to curtail EP it'll be another nail in the old coffin... To the extent I still shop here, I do often avail myself of that one perk they continue to offer. If they're having trouble collecting, maybe the solution is not imposing across the board limitations but to better vet those new customers who are stiffing them...

@stevieb 

Curtailing EP would just be another example of disrespecting their current customer base and for what--- using the addition of new customers as propaganda to their stockholders, and the hosts love love to make mention of how many new customers were added during their show---oh they joined the "QVC Family" --- Give Me A Break!!!  Yet QVC doesn't think much of customer retention!!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? MORE NEWS ON QVC'S FINANCIAL RESULTS

@stevieb wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@stevieb

I've received some email surveys from QVC which I answered, mostly consisting of check-a-box, but have filled-in what I thought whenever there was a comments box.

Didn't complete last one, the other day, 'cause it's kinda a waste of my time when I see no significant changes coming into play.

I hear that @eddyandme...

They haven't had the nerve to send me one yet...

Woman Surprised Woman Very Happy

@stevieb

Nor me----- Woman LOLWoman Wink  I love surveys!!!  Woman Very Happy

Interesting of what surveys CAN do sometimes...... I was in the grocery store the other day with a basketfull of my weekly groceries.....  they had 9 Express Lines open (20 items or less)but only 4 checkouts for regular lines....and no one was hurrying to open more ..... I counted the registers outloud and said to no one in particular why all the Express but hardly any for regular orders .....  I spotted a Manager out of the corner of my eye, then I walked to an empty cashier stand and picked up a survey.....IMMEDIATELY a Manager herself opened up a register and said "maam I can take you here"....... I learned the power of SURVEYS!!!   I do complete them and give not only bad but also good feedback and compliments too

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@TY wrote:

Ok, I've read all the posts in this thread and the QVC's down numbers explains why QVC has been actually having some real sales like the half price sale on clearance jewelry (even if it was for only a day or two) or the real sale on shoes in the last week in July. QVC isn't known for real sales so the sale on shoes and recently clearance jewelry is a surprise.

I think the likely defaults in customer easy pays is also a reflection of an economy that isn't as healthy as people think.

QVC sells really expensive kitchen gadgets like Kitchenaid stand mixers and Vitamix blenders but just how many are people really going to buy? Those things are on all the time. If I wanted to buy one I'd go to Costco!

@TY

And if someone did purchase a Kitchenaid or Vitamix why would tune in to see it again, that's something that's one and done! And the articles said market soften for kitchen category--- Gee I wonder why (sarcasm to QVC)!

Even QVC's kitchen gadgets are all the SAME thing over and over nothing of interest so I turn the channel and don't buy.  I went to a Kitchen Store and they had all kinds of great things I hadn't seen elsewhere --- and guess what I bought!!! 

Uniqueness = $ales!

I agree however for me.... having purchased both a Kitchenaid mixer and a Vitamix blender I have tuned in after the purchases to see how the presenters are operating the machines and to learn more about the product and especially to watch the recipes, especially the Kitchenaid lady Laura (whom I really enjoyed)....  but after so many watchings I don't need more instruction or recipes and tend to skip them.

My last purchase was a 6qt pressure cooker and find I don't really use it.  

I ordered the Ninja slow cooker/roaster when it first appeared on the Q....  wish I had waited for the one with the see-through top but won't be upgrading.  I love that machine.

But I'm pretty much kitchen applianced out.... some of which are really cheaply made IMHO (Upright food saver).... but I digres.  Woman Wink 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*