Honored Contributor

Q DID WHAT? DECLINE IN WOMENS CLOTHING SALES

[ Edited ]

Interesting stuff from an interview...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/Is-Amazon-squeezing-QVC-too-.html

http://vista.today/2016/08/qvc-expects-end-year-rebound-summer-drop-womens-clothing-sales/

QVC Expects End of Year Rebound after Summer Drop in Women’s Clothing Sales

West Chester’s TV shopping network giant QVC saw its shares rebound five percent after falling to a three-year low of $21.61 after an unexpected drop in women’s clothing sales and higher than expected customer-loan losses this summer, writes Joseph N. DiStefano for Philly.com.

At the same time, Amazon reported improved clothing sales and video marketing to working-age women, causing some analysts to speculate that it is biting into QVC’s market share.

QVC CEO, Michael George, said in his quarterly conference call, that the company saw a deceleration in demand late in the previous quarter. However, he pointed out that according to its surveys, customers are not going to Amazon instead of QVC.  

“The biggest drop was clearly in fashion, which had been the thing that was propelling our business,” he said, comparing the drop to the last recession. “The sales shortfall is with our best customers,” he continued, saying that those are heavy users who can make dozens of QVC purchases monthly.

Most QVC key brands continue to perform well, with Logo, Isaac Mizrahi, Susan Graver, and Denim & Co. all recording increases in sales this year.

Home-security, fitness and garden sales were also strong. Sales were weaker in jewelry and consumer electronics, but that's been a longer-term trend at QVC. Kitchen-equipment sales have also slipped.

George says QVC customers have told his surveyors they aren't going to Amazon, at least not for stuff QVC also sells in large quantities. They tell QVC that "we shop (at Amazon) for our pet food, cleaning supplies and so forth," but not much for clothing or home goods. He said the company expects sales will recover later this year.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? MORE NEWS ON QVC'S FINANCIAL RESULTS

[ Edited ]

Hmmmmm so clothing is one of the culprits for low sales. So that leaves--  C. Wonder, Halston, Women With Control, GILI, Lisa Rinna, Bob Mackie, Quacker, Joan Rivers, Basso, Linea as brands not named as having increase in sales......???????????  And does that include shoe lines--- Vionic, Clarks, Sketchers etc etc....

BTW how many of you buy pet food from Amazon?????????????  I buy mine at Pets Mart (my grocery store didn't always have he brand and kind of cat food stocked that I purchase and I got tired of it).....

What incorporates QVC's "home security" line???????????????????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Hmmm.  Well I sure wasn't responsibe for the big drop in clothing sales.  All I ever buy from QVC's clothing lines are a few shoes or boots (certain brands) and an occasional [ant or capri because they offer the size XXS.

Laura loves cats!
Valued Contributor

Gee a decrease in summer clothing sales? Maybe that's because QVC hardly offered any summer clothing this year. If they would concentrate on shorts and light weight clothing in June and July (instead of CIG) they may have sold a few more items. I know the fashion world sells a season ahead but QVC doesn't have to follow the herd. When it's 90 degrees out I don't care about coats and bulky sweaters but I would buy a sundress, light weight maxi, or some nice comfy pull on shorts.

Respected Contributor

The article is kind of confusing to me when they say fashion sales dropped and then say sales have increased in several of their fashion lines. 

I used to buy more clothing here but with the large increase in prices over the past few years I have cut way back. 

Respected Contributor

Didn't you already 'chicken little' this to death?

What do think they should do about it? Hmm...?

If they fail there will be no board to rant on and about. Then will where you be?

Respected Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Gee a decrease in summer clothing sales? Maybe that's because QVC hardly offered any summer clothing this year. If they would concentrate on shorts and light weight clothing in June and July (instead of CIG) they may have sold a few more items. I know the fashion world sells a season ahead but QVC doesn't have to follow the herd. When it's 90 degrees out I don't care about coats and bulky sweaters but I would buy a sundress, light weight maxi, or some nice comfy pull on shorts.

@Jasmine19  For lots of lightweight, cute summer styles that are also easy on the budget, you should try Evine.  I hardly ever buy anything (tops especially) from anywhere else.  One World and Kate and Mallory are my favorites!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? DECLINE IN WOMENS CLOTHING SALES

I know a lot of people who buy their dog food from Amazon.  LOL

I order my dog food because she only gets holistic food and the only place near me that carries it is much more expensive that on-line places I can order it from.  Plus the big 40 pound bag is delivered to my doorstep. I don't have to tredge it through a store, load it into my car and then unload it into my house. 

I agree with the poster who said QVC didn't offer much summer clothing.  That is true.  So it doesn't surprise me they had a decline in clothing sales.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Q DID WHAT? DECLINE IN WOMENS CLOTHING SALES

[ Edited ]

Want to sell summer apparel? Put in ALL on sale 5th of July like all other apparel retailers. In the same season it was initially offered, not 3 years later.

Novel idea, I know.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jasmine19 wrote:

@Jasmine19 @Lipstickdiva 

I agree about the summer clothing....QVC seems to ignore customers that live in the South, Southwest, and West and concentrates on clothing for the North and Northeast.  I've seen threads discussing this issue. Funny thing a co-worker said she wrote to one of the hosts on their Facebook Page regarding this very topic and got a snarky response back and then she noticed her comment had been deleted....