Respected Contributor

The hosts really know how to plug q-cards and easy pay as if their life depended on it.  It has gotten to the point that it really gets on my nerved.  When I am on line, the pop-up windows pop up pushing to sign up for the q-card.

Now I know sometimes it's really helpful to get easy pay, but just about on everything and on small amounts?  If you buy a lot on easy pay, just being on top of the payments requires some work.

All the shopping channels do this and I have seen it on Evine for as low as less than $2.00.  I am sure these businesses must make a lot of money by people using these cards and easy pay and if you are late, you really have to pay.

Honored Contributor

Most places that have their own credit cards do this. When you go to a check out in B & M stores they say will this be on your ____charge and if you say no they ask if you have one and if you don't they ask if you want one and say it only takes minutes to open.  Fast food places push for you to order more items, restaurants try to get you to add more to your order.  

Trusted Contributor

I stopped using my Qcard years ago because of problems with Synchrony Bank and the ability to pay my bill online.  I will occasionally use easy pay, but prefer to pay all at once because it seemed like I had payments that went on forever.

Honored Contributor

I've had a Q card for years.  I don't do easy pay.  I do like to keep my Q purchases separate.  I elect to receive a paper bill, and I pay in full through my bank.  No problems thus far, thankfully.

Honored Contributor

Is there a retailer going that doesn't ask when we go to pay "Will this be on your XYZ card?"

The only reason I don't hear it more is that I shop much, much less than I used to -  and only on cards of my own choosing.

Respected Contributor

It's a hazard of shopping no matter online or in stores.  It's part of the salesperson's job.  Their life my not depend on it but their job does.

Trusted Contributor

I have to agree with these annoyances on TV and my computer.  I donot mind being asked a simple question in the store.  I understand it is the cashier's job to ask 1 time.  Whether I have their card or not I just say no thank you and that ends the conversation.  The presentations during the shows and on line give us no choice but to have the card mentioned on almost every item.  That to me is overkill.

Honored Contributor

My mom used to work at Kaufmann's and they were required to get a certain number of charge cards opened per month.  I have never shopped at a store that hasn't tried to get me to open a charge card with them if they have their own store card. 

I have a Q Card and I use it.  My statements come to me via e-mail and I pay my bill in full every month.  I don't use it a ton but I like to have it separate.  It's easier for me to keep track of charges and returns, if any. 

I have never had an issue paying my bill on-line, getting my statement credit when I first opened my account, getting returns credited, etc.  But you do have to keep track because mistakes can happen. 

As far as easy pays, it's up to each person how they want to handle their finances.  If they don't mind 6 easy payments of $1.47, so be it.  I don't pay their bills.     

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Is there a retailer going that doesn't ask when we go to pay "Will this be on your XYZ card?"

The only reason I don't hear it more is that I shop much, much less than I used to -  and only on cards of my own choosing.

this is true.

you cannot go into any store where they ask you to open an XXXstore card or an XXXstore visa card.

a relative works at nordstrom and they make bonuses for every credit card or debit card link or rewards card that they open. i cant blame the sales associates for asking.....it is part of their job and part of their income.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

Just about every store asks you if you would like to open their credit card so I don't think that is a problem.  The problem I have with the stores are when you are standing in line and the person at the front is opening a credit card right at the register.  There should be a separate place for them to go and open the card that doesn't hold everyone else up.  As for my Q card, I have run it up over the years and I am proud to say I will be paying it in full this month.  Not sure if I am going to close it or not.  I sure will be more responsible with it going forward.  Trying to get everything paid down or in full so I can retire in the next couple of years.

Spoiler

Smiley Very Happy

It is what it is!!!