Honored Contributor

QVC raised my spending limit without me asking.

I know it's common, I used to have a Walmart credit card and it seemed they did the same thing several times a year.

Must. Stay. Strong

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

QVC raised my spending limit without me asking.

I know it's common, I used to have a Walmart credit card and it seemed they did the same thing several times a year.

Must. Stay. Strong

I guess it would be more upsetting than if they decreased it.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes having the credit card company raise your limit works well because you don't ever have to use the increase, but having access to increased credit can increase your FICO score. 

Counterintuitive, but sometimes that's how it works: the more credit you have and don't use, the higher that score can be. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't get the big deal. Credit cards are raising my limit all the time. If I used the limit, I would be in deep trouble. I just find it a positive sign that I am worthy of that increase.

Honored Contributor

My cards increase without asking me.  Can't say that I like the idea.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Sometimes having the credit card company raise your limit works well because you don't ever have to use the increase, but having access to increased credit can increase your FICO score. 

Counterintuitive, but sometimes that's how it works: the more credit you have and don't use, the higher that score can be. 

@millieshops  It can also impact your FICO score negatively, so it isn't always a good thing, esp. having your credit limit raised without your consent.  It's a bad thing when the credit available to you is too large in proportion to your income.  The theory behind that is that even if you don't do it, you have the potention to partake of a huge amount of credit that is beyond your means to pay off.

Honored Contributor

I don't pay attention to the maxium because I have no plans on going there.   I have one Mastercard, JJill, Target and Kohl's.  I have been thinking of closing Kohl's.  i only use it for Jockey underwear.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Q Card - Ugh!

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

I don't pay attention to the maxium because I have no plans on going there.   I have one Mastercard, JJill, Target and Kohl's.  I have been thinking of closing Kohl's.  i only use it for Jockey underwear.  Cat Very Happy

^^^^^ This!

If you don't mind, which Jockey underwear do you like?

I'm on a mission and the last time I went to Kohls I purchased a variety of different underwear to try, costing me $70.  I had sticker shock.

One of my choices was Jockey but the jury is still out.  I seem to always go back to Warners.  I like the panties with a longer leg, sometimes called "boy shorts"

Honored Contributor

Call the card issuer and tell them you don't want an increase and to put it back like it was.  This is how they suck you into going in debt. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I keep a low balance and plan on paying it off completely this year but your advice is spot on.

@Kachina624