Regular Contributor

Re: Poor Quality of TV transmission of QVC2 and HSN

I actually checked into this very subject a few weeks back. I only use a TV antenna for my reception now; cut the cable completely several months back. Both QVC2 and Beauty IQ are in standard definition which means the picture quality will not be that great. I do not get QVC HD or just regular QVC since I do not subscribe to some type of service. However, I can stream in real time from my Amazon Fire Stick through YouTube all QVC channels and they all have a perfect picture. HTH.

Honored Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

@lovinglife wrote:

Neither QVC2, Beauty, nor HSN are transmitted in HD on DirectTV.  Just clarified with DirectTV.  It is a contention in my household too!  While we don't watch the others as much, we'd still like an HD picture for them!

Thanks again! You people are great researchers. I wonder why I can get three channels of regular QVC, all showing exactly the same program, (70, 275, and 317) but the QVC2 and Beauty channels are treated like poor relations?  Why go to the bother of showing these channels with such poor quality? Why not make them available in HD?

That's up to the provider, not QVC, I believe.  JMO, but I think the providers will take anything on as far as new channels, but won't make them HD channels unless they're a "success" (however the heck that might be determined). OTOH, maybe QVC doesn't want to fork out "extra (?)" money on their new channels until they're sure the channels are making them money. They could end up pulling the plug if no one watches, so maybe don't want to pay top dollar up front. 

I just googled "who determines if a channel is broadcast in HD" and an answer didn't come up :-(

The different channel numbers are because of the "tiers" of channels people pay for (or not). If you pay for the most expensive tiers you'll see all available broadcasts on all the tiers you pay for, but many people will only see one channel and many people also don't pay for HD because the receivers cost more monthly and there's an additional fee to get HD programming. The providers split up the numbers "per tier" and per HD.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have Spectrum (formerly TimeWarner). They have told me it is up to them if the programs are broadcast in HD or digital format. 

I have 3 QVC and HSN channels all showing the same because previously one was the HD channel, one was the digital channel and 1 was something else.  However once Spectrum changed to all HD, despite the different channel numbers, they all broadcast in HD.

Q2 does not broadcast in HD, at least on Spectrum.  But I don't know that they broadcast in HD at all because we never get a message scrolling to contact our provider to get Q2 in HD.  We do not get JTV in HD either but they do broadcast in HD and we always get a scroller on the screen telling viewers to contact their provider to get JTV in HD.

Unless I want to keep changing the aspect ratio on my tv., everyone on the non-HD channels are much wider.  But if you think Q2 is bad, you should see HSN2.  It's almost unwatchable for me.