Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please, don't push me.....

My mom falls for it with the kitchen gadgets and buys one for herself and one for my sister and/or me.  For the most part, I've liked those gifts and used them quite a bit, so I guess in that context the sales pitch works out fine. Just have to be sure the recipient on the gift list is interested in having whatever Q is selling. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

There always a reason to buy

1.  last time ever at this price

2.  Vendor look of surprise that the priced is sooo low and only this time only, never ever before and never never ever again.

3.  more than one since this is it .... not coming back or not coming back at this price

4. much better price point than at mall or physical stores (pretent to compare with top of line something. HECK I COMPARE WITH WALMART AND WALMART WINS EVERY TIME. 

5.  Hinting the viewer would be crazy to "pass this up at this price and quality."

6.  Friends and family will be thrilled to get it.

Not blaming them.  They are IN IT TO SELL and they might have a system set up to monitor the amount of sales minute by minute and record what sales pitch brings in the most results.  I would do it that way if I were selling something.

Honored Contributor

IMO a person can't be pushed unless she allows herself to be.  Just Say No.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bonnielu-you made me giggle, great response!

"I never changed, I just learned."
Honored Contributor

In all the years I have watched the Q I have never been influenced to buy anything I didn't like.  While I understand it can be tiresome listening to the hawking of items, I am aware that it is the job of sales people to do so.  However, what I purchase and what I choose to watch, which isn't nearly as much as I used to, is up to me and not the host and vendor.  

I remember reading in forums how some people wouldn't buy because of this or that host.  But If you really like an item, you shouldn't allow anyone to stop you from buying except yourself.  Just giving an opinion, enjoy your day!

Valued Contributor

@LilMadi wrote:

Is anyone else annoyed with the hosts pushing for the customers to purchase more than one of this and that item?  I will never buy something because someone tells me I should, or I will regret it if I don't, I'll wish I had more, yada yada yada.  No one is going to part with their money if they don't want to.  Here's an eye opener, the more you tell someone to buy one thing, the less they can spend on another thing.  Please, stop this unnecessary practice, it actually makes me want to NOT buy. 

It is a sales channel, and they are sales people. It's their job, so, no, doesn't bother me. I don't watch QVC presentations much anymore, just go to the dotcom to look, but usually $4 off another over priced fashion item, which they charge another fee for shipping, on a garment that may not fit...I'm done with that now. I used to buy multiples of things I like, but not anymore. Got tired of returning things and QVC pricing is just too high on clothing, compared to other shopping sites.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu-

Lol!-

love the Walmart line. yes, thats pretty much how I compare-so funny-it does win every time!

And you know what I'm realizing this Christmas time around?

I realize that the presentations, esp. with Valerie, make each thing look so special by the way they are arranged and presented. 

I watched Ellen's Ed on Air funny presentation of the fake hand slowly circling the deers in a sweeping mesmerizing manner.

Now I take those images, and think, wait I think I've seen something like that in Rite Aid for $5 or $7, Walmart, Home Goods, etc.

Then I think if I passed that in the store, would I buy it or think I must have that?

And usually my answer is

no.

On QVC, things are usually overpriced and there are similar or even better things I've seen out in many stores.

I'm also taking a really close look at the quality of on air things and reviews. My first purchase in a year did not go well with the bells and the battery box that didn't open.

Still, I think part of the excitement is like an auction, or watching altogether and getting that one thing that looks so special and that you are excited to get.

There is usually one of those in all of this.

But I also have learned to appreciate something that is cute or pretty and think, that is cute but I don't have to have every cute or pretty thing.

However, those birds and that upcoming birdhouse, they really are cute!

It is fun to see something that just calls to you, but this time around I'm being really really cautious and like most of us who love Christmas, I like what I have and certainly don't need more or have room for it anyway!

Anyway, Happy shopping. Hope we have fun watching or finding that one special thing, or not!Smiley Happy 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilMadi

Heavens, if 'purchase more than one of this and that' 

were to be discontinued from Retail Marketing,

all the Costco/Sam's clubs would close.

And there's a greater than zero chance you have more

than 1 can of something in your pantry.  And your refeigerator

freezer would be used for nothing but ice.  And I'm not gonna

even touch not having more than 1 package of toilet paper.

People buy buy more than 1 of 'this and that'

for many different reasons. Doesn't matter if it's

eyeliner, toothbrushes or your favorite tank top.

Esteemed Contributor

Nobody can "push" you to buy anything .... you are in control at all times ... when I get annoyed I change the channel!!

Esteemed Contributor

My thing is as people mentioned the buy more and "save" tactic.  Save what?????? I end up tripling my shipping and then they add sales tax on top of it........Much less $ to buy one item and if I go to the store I save the shipping fees!!!!   It is really crazy because you may catch the item you want on lunchtime specials for half the price next week!!!!!  LOL

And true they need to address their shipping fees Smiley Sad