you put it over or on top

It sounds awful hearing someone say that

look at it over top that....

or you can put it over top ....

sounds redundant and poor grammar

Honored Contributor

Re: Please Stop Saying Awesome

@chessylady wrote:

Awesome means something that leaves you in awe. When you use it to describe EVERYTHING, then it is no longer awesome but ordinary. It also means you have a limited vocabulary.

I grew up in California in the 80s and will never stop saying awesome.  It has nothing to do with limited vocabulary and I use other superlatives as well, but awesome is part of who I am.

Frankly, you're just lucky most of us stopped saying gnarly.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@ECBG  None of what Lori sells is 'gorge"  VERY expensive but not at all 'gorge'.

Kooky and crazy but certainly not gorge.

I hate 'gorge'. Gorge is a big valley, not something I want to be associated with my face, my hair, or my clothing.

Trusted Contributor

This isn't exactly the same thing, but I can't stand it when they describe an ordinary piece of clothing as couture.  During one presentation the vendor said the little side slits on a shirt/blouse made it "so couture".   Another one I remember described something as couture because of the "fancy" buttons.  That is about as ridiculous as you can get.  If an item is mass produced and sold on home shopping it is not even close to couture and I doubt if anyone expects it to be so stop saying that. 

Honored Contributor

How about some other synonyms for "wonderful," (which is, I think, the idea they are trying to convey)?

Lovely, outstanding, delightful, terrific, tremendous, marvelous, excellent, brilliant, . . .

Now, don't you just "love, love, love" all these options!!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

You are free to say awesome as much as you want. I also live in California but I still think it is overused especially if you are over 18. Same goes for Dude and Whatever.

Honored Contributor

I guess the new one for me is the host (I'm thinking Mary Beth but there are others) who stand on the side while the vendor is talking about the item.... and from off the side comes soft audible gasps (Ohh... Wow... Louder Intake of breath.... another Ohh... another Wow.... a gasp and "I see".)  All done softly enough not to interrupt the vendor but loud enough to be irritating.  I don't think it's necessary especially when the camara is not on the host and we (as the audience) don't need a peanut gallery gasping on the sidelines..... /opinion 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

WhatEv. Smiley Wink

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland