Respected Contributor

Re: Please Stop Saying Awesome

While I agree that words are overused, you might want to take a break from all the sales hype.  Even on the shows I watch on HGTV, they tend to all say the same thing.  I think we need to start making up words at this point.  Obviously, there are not enough for the 24/7 broadcasting era.  Maybe we can just say - I'm speechless!! 

Respected Contributor

The phrase "you have permission to play" drives me nuts. Gee I would have never imagined doing that with their permission.

Esteemed Contributor

WOW   When Jill is presenting Vitamix it's WOW every other word - she's so surprised even though it's her 99th time to eat the samples.  (Jane too) 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  None of what Lori sells is 'gorge"  VERY expensive but not at all 'gorge'.

Kooky and crazy but certainly not gorge.

Honored Contributor

@luvdoodles  Oh my, I'll second this for sure!

Honored Contributor

The word AWESOME has been on my banned list for several years!

I refuse to watch to the LOGO shows because I think that is the only descriptive word that Lori Goldstein knows.

@Another new name Sue wrote:

"Awesome" has been oveworked until it has little meaning, not just on QVC either.  The Grand Canyon is awesome.  Clothing is not.

Trusted Contributor

I am and have been, since the earliest days, a very casual viewer, pretty much, watching only if something (can we say jewelry) interested me. 

So, the Host's and  their quirks, very rarely bother me. Probably, because I am, such a casual viewer.

However, can you imagine, speaking totally unscripted,for hours at a time, day in and day out, for  months and years. Selling merchandise!

I don't think, there is a person on the planet, who could stay original. I am sure, everyone would fall back on familiar  words and catch phrases. 

Even in our own lives, don't we have words that we overuse ? Don't we all know people that use the same words and phrases so much, we

identify those words and phrases with that person? 

Yes, of course, it is their job. I just don't think it would be easy. At least, I know it wouldn't for me! 

Esteemed Contributor

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Awesome!, fabulous!, and amazing! are the "big three" of overused superlatives, IMO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

For the life of me, I just don't get the LOGO line. Evidently, there are hundreds that do given the one-hour shows.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown