Valued Contributor

Please MORE jobs in the USA and not oversees!

Enough said.  Can't those jobs in Poland be brought to the USA?  Your customers are paying enough for the goods we buy from you that maybe you could bring jobs to the United States.  Maybe this would be a good way to get even more customers and thus more revenue to offset the cost of jobs in the USA versus overseas??

Honored Contributor

Re: Please MORE jobs in the USA and not oversees!

I read the Poland jobs were for QVC warehouse operations.  They were relocated from higher-cost western European countries, and are used by Q's European operations.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I read the Poland jobs were for QVC warehouse operations.  They were relocated from higher-cost western European countries, and are used by Q's European operations.

They are laying 120 people off in Europe and over 200 from the US.

"QVC is laying off 220 people as it ships parts of its HR, IT, finance and legal departments to Krakow, Poland. Approximately 100 people at the company’s West Chester, Pa. campus are expected to lose their jobs. There are also 40 layoffs in the U.K., 70 in Germany and 10 in Italy."

Source: http://www.phillymag.com/business/2016/02/19/qvc-layoffs-poland/#g8jZpTPJviUDug4D.99

Trusted Contributor

of course we all prefer 'made in the USA' everything because it creates jobs we so badly need, but the reality, in my opinion, is that labor is more costly here. the result of  higher labor cost is higher retail prices, and maybe less sales. so therefore they prefer to have goods manufactured in countries where labor is cheap. cheaper labor equals cheaper goods. it just makes good business sense. the downside is obviously less jobs locally. it's a tricky situation. 

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

They are laying 120 people off in Europe and over 200 from the US.

"QVC is laying off 220 people as it ships parts of its HR, IT, finance and legal departments to Krakow, Poland. Approximately 100 people at the company’s West Chester, Pa. campus are expected to lose their jobs. There are also 40 layoffs in the U.K., 70 in Germany and 10 in Italy."

Source: http://www.phillymag.com/business/2016/02/19/qvc-layoffs-poland/#g8jZpTPJviUDug4D.99

I'd seen that February article in Philly Mag.  That's why I thought yesterday's comment in the Philly Inquirer was interesting:

The company laid off another 100 Pennsylvania workers in January, plus 147 last year, as it consolidated some warehouse operations to South Carolina. It also moved foreign warehousing from more expensive West European locations to Poland.

Respected Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

of course we all prefer 'made in the USA' everything because it creates jobs we so badly need, but the reality, in my opinion, is that labor is more costly here. the result of  higher labor cost is higher retail prices, and maybe less sales. so therefore they prefer to have goods manufactured in countries where labor is cheap. cheaper labor equals cheaper goods. it just makes good business sense. the downside is obviously less jobs locally. it's a tricky situation. 

@freakygirl - You're right.  The reason WalMart does so well is because they sell cheap items made in China.  When people say they want items that are made in America that means they are going to have to pay more.  And you already know that there have been plenty of posts on here about the high price of clothing.  That old saying - you can't have your cake and eat it too. 

Honored Contributor

There are countless posts on here every day complaining about high prices. It would be great to have things made here, but be ready to pay. 

Respected Contributor

@freakygirl wrote:

@freakygirl  These are NOT manufacturing jobs.  The article states the positions  in Human Resources, IT,  Financial and Legal  are being eliminated in West Chester.  QVC hasn't been a local company for a long time, but an international one, broadcasting in seven countries.

Most of the products they sell have never been manufactured in the U.S. in the first place.  Bottom line, they are in the business of making a profit and keeping the shareholders happy, not American workers.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

Like Alice from QVC said - because it's political.  LOL  Don't blame retailers like QVC.  They are trying to survive any way they can.