Esteemed Contributor

Phone Call from QVC re getting to forums through the "back door"....

I just got a phone call from QVC, regarding my feedback to them about not being able to click on Community on the home page or other pages, and having to go in through the "back door", Blogs, to Community, to Forums.

He said something about Google Chrome being an "advanced" something-or-other, and I needed to go through plain Google. So he said to type in "Google" - I asked him where he wanted me to type it in? I don't have anywhere to type it in unless I'm on a browser! Or am I missing something?

So I asked him do you want me to go on Google Chrome and then type in Google? He said yes, so I did that, went through all it took to get to QVC, and wound up with the same problem. I don't use IE much anymore because for some reason, my computer won't let me upgrade to IE 8 or 9, but I went to that and typed in Google, then in the Google search bar, I typed in QVC. It came up with a list of websites, and I clicked on QVC. It took me to the home page, and at the bottom, part of the words were overlaid with other words, but it did allow me to click into Community. I was laughing at that point, because I told him I'd rather go in the "back door" on Google Chrome than go through all that to get to the Forums! I asked him if it was going to stay like this, and he said no. And I also told him that a lot of people on the forums were constantly complaining about the problems with their website, but I thanked him for trying!!

Where did he think I was going to type in "Google" if I wasn't on a browser??? Have I totally lost it?? {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Phone Call from QVC re getting to forums through the ""back door""....

Just received this follow-up email:

"This email confirms our conversation regarding the difficulty of accessing the Community link on the homepage of our website. It is frustrating that there is no easy way to access it t this time even with these heavily hyped enfines like Google Chrome and Safari or Firefox, etc. It was a pleasure speaking with you and hope you continue to enjoy shopping at QVC."

Does he mean "engines", as in "search engines"? This is getting even funnier.....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Trusted Contributor

Kittymom, you haven't lost. The guy from QVC might have though Smiley Wink I've never heard of this one and I use Google Chrome as much as possible unless I'm on my iPad. I use Safari there.

On my PC I open Google Chrome and scroll down to the section titled "We're Here to Help."

In that section I click QVC Community.

In the "Stay Connected" section I click "Forums." I'm in!!

Is that the path you are trying to use? Of course I can use that link from any page so if your links aren't working there is something wrong with the settings on your PC. Even if you didn't change anything intentionally there could have been a software upgrade such as your virus protection or something that is preventing it.

First, try clearing your browsing history. Be aware that this will clear any auto-fills you might be used to, such as when you start to type in your Chrome or IE address bar and the system starts to populate the full address for you. After you clear history those will be gone. But any sites you saved as Favorites will still be in your Favorites folders.

Click the little icon that looks like three lines in the upper-right corner of Google Chrome.

Select History.

Click "Clear Browsing Data." That's it! Close Chrome and reopen, then try the QVC link again. Hopefully it works.

If it doesn't, take a look at that Google Chrome Settings page again. In the list on the left click "Extensions" and note the list of extensions that displays. One of them should be some type of virus protection. Once you know which one your PC is using you can then Google it to see if there was a recent update that is preventing you from opening some links. If you have more than one research all of them. You should probably only use one so you may want to talk to someone who knows your situation better and make sure you have only what you need. Multiple virus protections conflict with each other and cause problems. You can accidentally install virus protections with some software you download so don't be surprised if you find more than one Smiley Sad

I'm sure others here will have different ideas but you can try these to start.

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

On 10/1/2014 kittymomNC said:

"This email confirms our conversation regarding the difficulty of accessing the Community link on the homepage of our website. It is frustrating that there is no easy way to access it t this time even with these heavily hyped enfines like Google Chrome and Safari or Firefox, etc. It was a pleasure speaking with you and hope you continue to enjoy shopping at QVC."

Does he mean "engines", as in "search engines"? This is getting even funnier.....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Good Grief!!

{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

KJPA
Honored Contributor

Maybe it's a problem because we're not familiar with their enfines .....? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

What a boatload. It's the 'heavily hyped' enfines... fault that they can construct and maintain a website that functions consistently well using the same enfines... the rest of the world is successfully using? Like I said, what a boatload. It really is time somebody stepped up in Q-ville and forced the issue of this website to the top of their to do list...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/1/2014 KJPA said:

"This email confirms our conversation regarding the difficulty of accessing the Community link on the homepage of our website. It is frustrating that there is no easy way to access it t this time even with these heavily hyped <em>enfines</em> like Google Chrome and Safari or Firefox, etc. It was a pleasure speaking with you and hope you continue to enjoy shopping at QVC."

Good Grief!!

{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

KJPA, thanks for the info you posted. DooBdoo had told me how to do that a couple of days ago but I just haven't had a chance. She has a Mac which made it different on how to get to it (I found it the way you said, clicking on the 3 lines) and will do it as soon as I can. It only takes a couple of extra clicks going in through Blogs, which takes just a second or two, so it's no big deal right now.

I was just bumfuzzled when he told me I shouldn't use Google Chrome, but use plain Google, and he sounded a little funny when I asked him where he wanted me to type in "Google"! I could hardly hold my laughter while he had me going through those contortions getting in the way he said. I finally just had to let go--I felt kind of bad because he really was a nice guy!

As far as multiple virus protections, I don't think that's a possibility because a few weeks ago I had a problem, and the McAfee tech took McAfee off my computer, and then after three tries, couldn't figure out how to put it back! I spent 7 hours on the phone in one week with those people! {#emotions_dlg.angry} It was at the end of my subscription anyway, so needless to say, I don't have McAfee anymore. I got Webroot, and they downloaded it for me, so I'm sure they made certain that McAfee wasn't there anymore.

I guess we will see what happens in the continuing saga of the QVC website! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Thanks again.

Super Contributor

Hi KittymomNC, Smile

I share your grief ! But to make a very long story short, the problem is not with QVC, but it is with Chrome itself. I spent many days with the frustration doing it the way you do until I finally got help from a computer expert.

For some reason at this time, and I don't know if it is permanent or temporary, Chromje can not allow us to get into and use the forums as we did previously. I can't explain why, you will just have to trust my experience on this.

I've been in Chrome on years so was disappointed in this.

My expert had me to change to Internet Explorer, and BINGO ! Everything has gone back to normal and there is no problem. I have since found out that you can achieve the same by using Foxfire.

I hope this will help you in achieving the same as I got very tired of the "back door" approach myself !!!!

HTH {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/1/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Hi KittymomNC, Smile

I share your grief ! But to make a very long story short, the problem is not with QVC, but it is with Chrome itself. I spent many days with the frustration doing it the way you do until I finally got help from a computer expert.

For some reason at this time, and I don't know if it is permanent or temporary, Chromje can not allow us to get into and use the forums as we did previously. I can't explain why, you will just have to trust my experience on this.

I've been in Chrome on years so was disappointed in this.

My expert had me to change to Internet Explorer, and BINGO ! Everything has gone back to normal and there is no problem. I have since found out that you can achieve the same by using Foxfire.

I hope this will help you in achieving the same as I got very tired of the "back door" approach myself !!!!

HTH {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Thanks hopeQ1.. the only problem is that I started using Google Chrome because I can't use IE...I have a 5-year old Dell desktop that still works great, it's fast, and I have no problems with it. Except -- for some reason, I can't upgrade IE to version 8 or 9. I can't complete the upgrade to 8 for some reason, and although I can complete and install 9, then it won't work. I had talked to McAfee techs (before they so royally messed up as I posted to KJPA) and they said there was nothing about McAfee that would prevent it. And too many things don't work anymore with IE 7.

There is hope, though (sorry for the pun!)Smile My son just got a new computer from Best Buy and bought a year of Geek Squad service, which will also cover mine. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to call and see if they can figure out what the problem is. So unless what KJPA and dooBdoo told me to do works, then I'll just have to continue using the "back door" until I can get it checked out.

Although the guy from QVC said it will not stay this way, I don't know what he meant by that. I've been using Chrome for probably a year and never had a problem. And to make it worse, I'm "tech-challenged" anyway! {#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Oh KittymomNC,

I'm glad you will soon get relief !! I'm sorry, but I didn't read further than your post, so I wasn't enlightened as to what KJPA and DooBDoo said. My bad !!

No one could be more technically challenged than I, for I am trying to teach myself how to use a computer. I have a big dummy for a student. I didn't use one in school like most, so it's going to be a long education for me !!

I had to reach out to a very intelligent computer savvy expert to find out what I told you. So sorry you can't just convert to Chrome or Foxfire as I did. Anything more complicated would send me up the wall !! Good you can use your son's benefit !!!

That "back door" procedure was getting to me as it was getting more difficult towards the end to get off of the blogs and into the threads. I'm relieved it's over.

I do think sometimes, however, that with the constant changes QVC keeps making that somehow it throws us into many of these problems. I'm just not savvy enough to figure out "what and why" !

Nice talking with you. I follow a lot of your postings and I must say I am most often in agreement with your train of thought. Evidentally we have similar opinions about most things.

I have family in NC, seems very nice there. Have you been there long? What part, or would you prefer not to say? I understand that on this forum.

Anyway, have a good evening !

Blessings. Smile