Honored Contributor

@Foxxee  This is very interesting to me. Many things I didn't know. I know I'm not always, but I was brought up to be polite and try not to hurt others. And having to do with a Free Society, I must do some reading. I must be totally out of the loop. Thank you again.

Valued Contributor
@Foxxee I couldnt agree with you more. One of the best posts I have ever seen.
Honored Contributor

@spursfan2 wrote:
@FoxxeeI couldnt agree with you more. One of the best posts I have ever seen.

@spursfan2 

Thank you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee    and you said it very well.  I completely agree with you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Peoples comments

[ Edited ]

What I have witnessed in this thread is not oversensitivity but quite the opposite--a lack of sensitivity hiding behind the guise of "differing opinions." 

Insensitive people don't think before they speak. They say rude things because they lack feeling and tact. They don't care who they hurt with their words. They think they have the right to be rude and insulting because, after all, it's just their opinion or, better yet, "the truth," (aka their truth, lol).

Confident people and those with good self-esteem don't lack sensitivity nor do they feel the need to verbalize aloud their every thought. They're confident enough in themselves not to have to try to rally a bandwagon behind them as backup.

The cry of oversensitivity is often nothing more than a buzz word used when trying to make an excuse for bad behavior--something we see all too often on these boards.

Rather than oversensitivity, or displaying of lack of of it, perhaps practicing some plain old sensitivity in the way we treat others might be a nice way to go. 

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Foxxee    and you said it very well.  I completely agree with you.

So do I.  Totally.  Great post.

Esteemed Contributor

@SusieQ_2  Yours is a well written, thoughtful post.  I totally agree. Thank you.

Also the words "I was only joking" is another dodge for hurtful, insensitive speech. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@SusieQ_2  Yours is a well written, thoughtful post.  I totally agree. Thank you.

Also the words "I was only joking" is another dodge for hurtful, insensitive speech. 

Thank you @MoJoV .

I've seen the just joking excuse too and in another thread today saw the comment "It's just a figure of speech" as though that somehow changes its meaning. It doesn't. 

Super Contributor

Well stated Isobel Archer! Heart

Super Contributor

@MoJoV  My ex used to say the cruelest things to me (usually in texts) followed by "...j/k" (just kidding).