Valued Contributor

@TY wrote:

A lot of clothing that is found in department stores is made in third world countries now. It isn't just disposable fast fashion clothes that are made in Bangladesh. Go to a department store and look at men's clothes like dress and casual shirts and you will see linen shirts and cotton button down shirts that cost $60 and up at regular prices made in Bangladesh. 

I bought my husband a nice white linen short sleeve summer shirt on sale at Sears Canada. The shirt is by Point Zero, the regular price was $70 and the shirt is made in Bangladesh. I don't think that most of those shirts sold at that price but that when they went on sale for nearly half off at about $40 CDN I bought one for him. The shirt looks well made and isn't a disposable item. I thought $70 was expensive at full price.

Clarks shoes for women had a slip on leather shoe that was a Today's showstopper on The Shopping Channel in Canada the other day -- the shoes, style Everlay Luna were on sale for about $70 CDN and the regular price was listed at $130 CDN. The shoes are made in Cambodia.

Well, I don't own any Dooney's except for a vintage bag purchased on Ebay for $17 (and, yes, it is authentic).  But look at the prices of those bags, and they are made in China and other foreign countries.  I bet they pay a pittance to make the bags compared to the prices they command.  However, I am not saying the quality is not good.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
New Contributor

Re: PRICES ARE SKYROCKETING

[ Edited ]

Man, I've noticed this too. I shopped here for quality ,value, convience . Well I can't afford 100 $ shoes and 52$ shirts from Susan Graver and D&C...100$ for espadrilles, because Ellen's name is on it? I can't , I won't  and yes, that 3$ off clearance doesn't help. I won't be shopping at these prices for sure. Sorry QVC. I've been a shopper since 1986. Taking my hard earned money elsewhere 

New Contributor

Re: PRICES ARE SKYROCKETING

[ Edited ]

Yes, I just stopped watching those Dooney shows...not in my price range anymore. 

Occasional Contributor

I shop in Marshall's and T.J. Maxx and have found that I prefer Denim & Co to many of the non-designer brands sold in those stores. Clothing seems to be cut skimpier these days and D&C still kept their fuller cuts. I also regularly look at the Q's as is section. Even with postage and handling, I've gotten great buys. I definitely cut back on clothing purchases on QVC but I also cut back in the other places as well. If I know the item will get a lot of wear, I'll buy it regardless of price. That's my new mantra.

Occasional Contributor

I love The Talbots but they have made it so difficult to shop. I haven't seen a catalogue in years and the mall store near me closed a few years ago. Their end of season sales were super. I think I'll revisit them online. 

Honored Contributor

@cubagal wrote:

QVC, you aren't Neiman Marcus, or Macy's!!!  You have clothing mainly made in China.  When Susan Gravers' clothing went to $50-$60 a blouse, I stopped buying.  Now you have Denim & CO priced ridiculously high.  Sorry, won't buy ANY peices of clothing from QVC ever again.  I will go to the stores and buy for quality, if I have to pay high prices.

I've virtually stopped buying as well.... but would if I could be assured that the item was made well, made of better fabrics than are currently offered AND fit!  The last items I bought from SG were three blouses (same style different colors) made of what I thought was her (more or less) original poly big shirt material.  This material should not wrinkle badly enough to have to iron... it should also drape and not be stiff.  And should fit.  I have normal length arms and all three of these items were about 2" too short~!  

I kept them but regretted it.  I like to turn up my cuffs anyway... I thought about the difference in fabric but thought it wouldn't bother me.... and didn't realize the severe wrinkling problem until after my return date passed.

I ordered two D & C blouses quite a while ago, same style, same size only different colors and found one fit fine, the other (labeled same size) was at least a size or two too small.  Sent it back, 

It's a challenge.  I no longer can trust the clothing lines on QVC after years of loving Susan Graver and being a huge buyer of Denim & Co. and Quacker Factory. 

I honestly don't mind paying what someone asks for a garment... and I thoroughly understand raising prices, but the fabric, fit and quality have to match... period.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I am so glad that someone addressed this situation of skyrocketing prices.

Simple active wear tops and pants are now costing about $50.00, and shoes

are running about $100.00.  On top of that, we pay for shipping, and must wait

several days for the item to arrive.    I am shopping at Kohls, again, and JC Penney. 

You can see the merchandise in person, and even try it on.  You can always find

things on sale, and get Kohl's cash, when purchasing a certain amount of merchandise.

I will say that some of the designers do try to keep the prices down,, but over all,

the prices have gone up, dramatically.  Easy pays may sound good, but they reall

can catch up with you, fast.

Respected Contributor
I would rather have prices go up then quality decline in the interest of keeping costs down. Unfortunately that is not what is going on at the Q. I have purchased reorder Quacker items and found the sizing decreased by at least one inch overall on the same item (different color) purchased prior season, in addition the fabric was not same as one purchased prior season. D&C has become very much hit and miss. I buy very little clothing from Q anymore. Shipping is not as big an issue for me as it is for majority who post here. My complaint is the high cost of Q returns.
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
I would rather have prices go up then quality decline in the interest of keeping costs down. Unfortunately that is not what is going on at the Q. I have purchased reorder Quacker items and found the sizing decreased by at least one inch overall on the same item (different color) purchased prior season, in addition the fabric was not same as one purchased prior season. D&C has become very much hit and miss. I buy very little clothing from Q anymore. Shipping is not as big an issue for me as it is for majority who post here. My complaint is the high cost of Q returns.

My biggest beef has been with Quacker Factory (because I enjoy the clothing so much).....  I love the "stories" on the pullovers, prefer the sweatshirts but have found that the newer materials shink like crazy (even with care) but even worse, QF seems to have found a neckline binding that loses it's shape with one washing.  It undulates up and down all the way around the neckline and even ironing it flat again doesn't work~!  Especially frustrating with the dog/cat pullovers..... ridiculous! I've made pullovers that do NOT do this....  when I spend an average of $50 on a top... I am furious when it does this!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@mkarlin  I get catalogs from Talbots regularly.  Are you sure you are on T's mailing list?  Why not go to the site and make sure you are. Talbots definitely sends out catalogs!