Valued Contributor

Re: PRICES ARE SKYROCKETING

[ Edited ]

I've started sewing my own clothing after being away from sewing for many years.  I was shocked at the prices of patterns, notions, and fabrics.  So many of the fabrics are made in China and the prices are outrageous.  It's less expensive for me to purchase Made-in-China clothing ready made.  Aside from the cost of the pattern, notions, and fabric, there is my personal time in sewing my garment.  But, I must admit that I have a passion for sewing and always purchase things on sale or with a coupon. Also, my garment is always a perfect fit.        docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@newlook456 wrote:

Carolyn

I think SG and D&Co all got the memo to jack up their prices or else they would be dumped.  Thanks for turning it into Dell computerland exclusively.

D&C and Susan Graver are owned by QVC.  QVC sets the prices on all their merchandise, not the vendor.

Until today, I've seen very little of Dell lately.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

QVC is neither Macy's nor Nieman-Marcus -- nor is it Dollar Tree.  If you feel QVC's prices are too high, do not shop here.  Prices have indeed gone up here, but they have gone up everywhere.

As far as "doing away with shipping charges," are you serious?  Do you actually live in a world where you think shipping is free?  Seriously? 

Seriously? Yes, seriously. If two different retailers charge the same thing for an item and one ships 'free' then all I know is I'm saving money with that one... More to the point, retailers offering 'free' shipping often beat the price at which any given item is being sold as well...

Speaking purely for myself, realizing that QVC, unlike most retailers, has to cover costs of an around the clock TV presence, I didn't mind the mark-ups and higher than other retailer shipping costs QUITE as much before three things happened. First, they jumped the shark price wise... both for the merchandise and with their revamped shipping policy. Second, the quality and quality assurance became highly suspect and finally, the on-air operation became almost completely unwatchable, thanks to programming that's too repetitive, presentations that last forever and host behaviors that are simply not engaging...

But worry not. You see, I have taken your advice. Most of the time, I shop elsewhere, though, as I've said before, I can't imagine it makes "Corporate's" day to know that former prolific customers are moving on...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

QVC is neither Macy's nor Nieman-Marcus -- nor is it Dollar Tree.  If you feel QVC's prices are too high, do not shop here.  Prices have indeed gone up here, but they have gone up everywhere.

As far as "doing away with shipping charges," are you serious?  Do you actually live in a world where you think shipping is free?  Seriously? 

I can buy a pair of Clarks shoes from QVC and pay shipping or I can buy them from one of a half dozen discount sites, pay less for the shoes and get free shipping.  Now @KYToby, which do you think is the better deal?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby   Dooney and Bourke website has free shipping for $150 and over, which most D&B purchases are.   S&H is outrageous at QVC for most purses and it isn't refunded with returns.  I won't buy purses at QVC for this reason.   The D&B site has sale prices too.

Macy's has sale prices on D&B with no shipping charges since I live near several Macy's.

Respected Contributor

I think the price of clothing is up everywhere, no matter where it is made.  Most of us know the best deal on clothing, shoes, and handbags, is at a storefront.  I purchase clothing every so often at QVC.  Yes, I know I'm not getting any kind of bargain, but sometimes an occasional item is ok with me.  I mostly purchase makeup and skincare items at the Q.  They are truly competitive on those items.  Of course, I have to add - I truly don't care what QVC charges.  There is so much competition in retail these days.  I like that!     

Valued Contributor

I too have bought my Dooney purses cheaper than QVC and in fact, I seldom now purchase any clothing from QVC as you can get much better pricing at B&M stores and online, free shipping at certain times.  To me anyway, the only real good deals with QVC are the cosmetic deals when they throw in other items to the deal.  Shoes - forget it anymore - sizing is an issue and besides that -  they have manufacturers make shoes for them but they are styles you wouldn't find i9n good stores, even brand name items as Clark's.  I have NEVER seen such clunky Clark shoes in stores as is sold on QVC - old main looking shoes!

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@PamfromCT

FWIW......

You do not need to get their cc to get their free shipping both ways.

Thanks for your info.  You can see how behind the times I am!  I don't want to spread false info, so I do appreciate this.

@PamfromCT@, @Mz iMac: l think everyone gets free shipping on their order, regardless of payment method. But only those who use the LL Bean cc get free RETURNS.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
d
@KYToby wrote:

@KYToby: You are always such a big cheerleader for QVC. Are you a major shareholder of their stock... or do you work for their public relations department?!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

I've started sewing my own clothing after being away from sewing for many years.  I was shocked at the prices of patterns, notions, and fabrics.  So many of the fabrics are made in China and the prices are outrageous.  It's less expensive for me to purchase Made-in-China clothing ready made.  Aside from the cost of the pattern, notions, and fabric, there is my personal time in sewing my garment.  But, I must admit that I have a passion for sewing and always purchase things on sale or with a coupon. Also, my garment is always a perfect fit.        docsgirl

I've made a few knit tops and I sew for the granddaughter now. Once in awhile I will make a dress for a special occasion if I can't find what I want in the store.At Prom time I used to be so busy with requests from my daughter and her friends....