Valued Contributor
Boy, I miss Lisa so much! Both Lisas’actually. They were polite, accurate, & professional whilst being friendly & very real in their personalities.
Honored Contributor

You know, it is simply fraud not to give the correct price and it's without merit to do that.  Either give the correct price and describe the fabric content or quit selling stuff alltogether.  

It is a business hiding the facts.  Now maybe it's only 98 cents, but it is NOT the price and to announce it AS the price is fraud at the basics. 

Makes them look like carnival barkers not to give all of the correct information.  And not everyone has a computer or good eyesight.

Valued Contributor
ITA!!! The hosts are basically salespeople with a tv vibe. They need to be accurate, honest & respectful to customers. Even if the caller said something that some feel was wrong. That’s their job and, our purchases pay for those cushy salaries & perks. Sure, they work hard. But, let’s be honest.. they aren’t changing the world!
In my house, when Shawn comes on, the channel changes. JMHO.
Esteemed Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

You know, it is simply fraud not to give the correct price and it's without merit to do that.  Either give the correct price and describe the fabric content or quit selling stuff alltogether.  

It is a business hiding the facts.  Now maybe it's only 98 cents, but it is NOT the price and to announce it AS the price is fraud at the basics. 

Makes them look like carnival barkers not to give all of the correct information.  And not everyone has a computer or good eyesight.

@Sooner, it's rare for hosts or vendors to honestly tell you the fabric. It's the mystery fabric. And that fabric is usually polyester. l00% cotton is something to brag about. Cotton & Modal can be told. But if it's poly, you can wait until the cows come home to hear about it. 

How many times have you heard Susan Graver talk about her LK fabric. You will hear of her wonderful discovery of her miracle fabric. But, when do you ever hear LK is 100% poly. I think it's b/c customers won't pay such high prices for poly. 

Honored Contributor

'All in all' it's nice to have all of the information. 

Some people have poor eyesight and/or aren't able to keep getting up and stand close to their TV sets to see the specifications. 

Many/some of those people 'call in' their orders via phone.

'All in all' (again), it's a good idea to be as accurate as possible re: fabric, price, etc., etc.  Said in a slow way (not too fast). 

Just thought I'd 'throw in my two cents', so to speak.  Without intentionally insulting any one host or vendor.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

I guess the cost of items is still deceitful. This top is 29.00 instead of the real price of 29.98. And with buy more and save it would be 25.00. Tired of this. 

Respected Contributor

I really never criticize Shawn, but if she insisted on saying $44 after that call, then she was being very ignorant. Lousy PR.

Honored Contributor

@DJPwrote:

I guess the cost of items is still deceitful. This top is 29.00 instead of the real price of 29.98. And with buy more and save it would be 25.00. Tired of this. 

@DJP  ITA. Not sure if the item in question also had s&h...usually $3. So the savings on the 2nd item is usually only $1. Big deal!!!! Why not just just give a 20% discount...something, anything...instead of this nonsense.

New Contributor

I'm a long time shopper (back to when QVC was CVN) and have watched the channel go through more changes than a more recent shopper can even imagine.  Show hosts and selling practices have come and gone. I'm not in retail, but rather in the healthcare field, so don't know all the psychological  tricks of the trade to get people to buy.  What I do know is that I have always bristled about the $49.98 price of an item...why can't retailers just say $50.00???  Because essentially that IS the price.  I think I read somewhere that by not saying the higher price, it tricks the mind into only seeing/hearing the lesser number. For those that are hearing/sight impaired I get it -totally.  For myself I round it up, figure in the S&H, then make a quick check to Amazon to see if its a deal for me or not...and if I really want it -SOLD!

I watch the shows primarily to see how an item looks on a model with similar physical characteristics as mine. Many times I think an item is cute on the rack, only to see how it fits the model, and immediately know its not for me. I don't much care about the other info-but again, in my case I look that up and realize that for those who can't its important to hear it on air from the host.

Finally, I'm in the minority I guess, because while sometimes I do think SK is a little "full of herself", overall I enjoy her quirky personality, question and answer games, etc.  I'd love to be her friend, because I think, under all that quirkiness,  is a kind heart and soul, perhaps bordering a little on the neurotic side, but kind never the less.

Oh, and with regard to the caller with the criticsms that night- rude of her to go on and on-ok to state her concern, NOT ok to embarrass someone by nonstop criticsm on national TV.  In my eyes, the caller diminished herself.

Respected Contributor

@Shawniewrote:

Good for whoever it was!  It drives me crazy when they say e.g. It is less than 50.00 and it is 49.98 plus shipping and handling (most of the time.).  Wish I had heard it.

I don't like that, either. It's even worse when they keep stating the Easy Pay price and not the full price. "Think about that - you can get this home for under thirty dollars!" You can, but the total price is $29.99 x 5 plus tax, plus shipping. Some of the reps are worse than others when it comes to that kind of misleading statement.