Regular Contributor

Re: PLEASE JOIN ME IN PRAYER FOR THIS BEAUTY VENDOR

I am so sorry to hear about this. It seems there is so much breast cancer today. Could it be all the chemicals in the cosmetics??? I use all natural cosmetics as well as soaps and body vream.

Prayers are on the way Dana. Give your skin a rest.

Love and Prayers

Trusted Contributor

Not makeup, but a regularly used product. I know that using underarm deodorant with aluminum in it causes cancer. The AMA has been trying for years to get it removed and containers labeled. Sometimes you can find some. The real problem is is that the aluminum aided in keeping areas dry and doesn't do as well without it.

But it is too risky, find some that doesn't use it.

Honored Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

Not makeup, but a regularly used product. I know that using underarm deodorant with aluminum in it causes cancer. The AMA has been trying for years to get it removed and containers labeled. Sometimes you can find some. The real problem is is that the aluminum aided in keeping areas dry and doesn't do as well without it.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I remember my Mother using Mum Deoderant, in a little jar, kind of a cream with no anti-perspirants in it.  I started using Mum as well because I just followed what my Mother used.  I then jumped to a roll on that is always either at the very tip top of the shelves (supermarket and WalMart) or the bottom shelf obscured by all the other shelves.... it's called Naturally Fresh Deoderant Crystal. Used it for years and years with no complaints from the family and believe me, they'd let me know ..... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

OP, as a breast cancer survivor, it pains me greatly to see misinformation being spread.

From the American Cancer Society website:

FALSE. Some chain e-mails and websites have suggested that chemicals in underarm antiperspirants are absorbed through the skin, interfere with lymph circulation, cause toxins to build up in the breast, and eventually lead to breast cancer. There is very little scientific evidence to support any of these claims, and most of this research has been done only in the laboratory, not in people.

From the Breastcancer.org website:

In media stories and on Internet postings some factors have been widely rumored to increase breast cancer risk. For example, right now, there is no evidence to back the claims that antiperspirants, underwire bras, and wearing a bra at night are causes of breast cancer. The claims are based on these concerns:

• Antiperspirant chemicals are absorbed through the skin, block the release of toxins when you sweat, and cause these toxins to build up in the breast.
  • Underwire bras cause breast cancer by blocking the drainage of lymph fluid from the bottom of the breast so it can't get back into your body.

There is no scientific evidence to support either of these rumors.

I'd be very interested in seeing evidence from the AMA that they "have been trying for years to get it removed and containers labeled."

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

OP, as a breast cancer survivor, it pains me greatly to see misinformation being spread.

FALSE. Some chain e-mails and websites have suggested that chemicals in underarm antiperspirants are absorbed through the skin, interfere with lymph circulation, cause toxins to build up in the breast, and eventually lead to breast cancer. There is very little scientific evidence to support any of these claims, and most of this research has been done only in the laboratory, not in people.

In media stories and on Internet postings some factors have been widely rumored to increase breast cancer risk. For example, right now, there is no evidence to back the claims that antiperspirants, underwire bras, and wearing a bra at night are causes of breast cancer. The claims are based on these concerns:

• Antiperspirant chemicals are absorbed through the skin, block the release of toxins when you sweat, and cause these toxins to build up in the breast.
  • Underwire bras cause breast cancer by blocking the drainage of lymph fluid from the bottom of the breast so it can't get back into your body.

I'd be very interested in seeing evidence from the AMA that they "have been trying for years to get it removed and containers labeled."

Nevertheless, I have seen many TV shows and reports that claim  exactly what I said about aluminum in deodorants. 
I'm not totally convinced about bras with wires in them, etc.

But I know what I have read and seen, especially in medical journals and magazines and reports.

There is nothing to say what you reported is incorrect either.

Honored Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

Nevertheless, I have seen many TV shows and reports that claim  exactly what I said about aluminum in deodorants. 

But I know what I have read and seen, especially in medical journals and magazines and reports.

Actually, there is something to say about her sources being far more trustworthy than your nebulous reference to TV shows and reports.

The Internet is rife with fear-mongering sites and misinformation. The question about the potential danger of anti-perspirants has been debunked over and over.

If you choose to worry about it, fine. But there is not factual basis for any concern whatsoever. And I share the poster's annoyance at the repetiton of untruths.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

It is amazing to me that people will take the word of something they saw on TV or a website (naturalnews.com is the biggest offender of out and out lies) but are completely skeptical over years of research from various respected schools and/or agencies from doctors and scientists that are highly regarded with impeccable credentials. 

I don't know how to say this without sounding mean or cruel but when any person tries to use "studies" or information they have collected from natural news.com or any of their contributing members, I immediately know they are idiots with very little hope of listening to any reality. They have no problem listening to these idiots who have had checkered careers and will listen to any nonsense they come up with with but actual studies that confirm the exact opposite of what their snake oil salesmen tell them is immediately suspect. How do you reason with people like that? I have decided it is best not to. Let them do it their way. I just hate to see them spreading false info to others but hopefully they have the sense to sort it out for themselves. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

This thread has gotten ridiculous. First of all, if anyone else had come to the board and started such a thread, the OP would have had a fit. She's done so in the past.  Now she's acting as if Dana has had direct communication with her about her situation.  The fact is that Lisa did an interview with Dana where the return of Dana's cancer was revealed.  

Then we have a poster who refuses to understand that maybe, just maybe, there is absolutely nothing that traditional treatment can do for Dana.  Dana never revealed where in her body the cancer has returned.  It's not as if she found out a week ago and decided to seek alternative treatments.  Give the woman some credit for being intelligent. 

And FTLOG if you really want to spread your wealth of knowledge and advice to Dana, the information has been posted here to do just that so she will directly see it rather than posting here and "hoping" she reads it. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This thread has gotten ridiculous. First of all, if anyone else had come to the board and started such a thread, the OP would have had a fit. She's done so in the past.  Now she's acting as if Dana has had direct communication with her about her situation.  The fact is that Lisa did an interview with Dana where the return of Dana's cancer was revealed.  

Then we have a poster who refuses to understand that maybe, just maybe, there is absolutely nothing that traditional treatment can do for Dana.  Dana never revealed where in her body the cancer has returned.  It's not as if she found out a week ago and decided to seek alternative treatments.  Give the woman some credit for being intelligent. 

And FTLOG if you really want to spread your wealth of knowledge and advice to Dana, the information has been posted here to do just that so she will directly see it rather than posting here and "hoping" she reads it. 

@Lipstickdiva, Yes, this OP always jumps onto any other poster for bringing such as this to these boards. Your post is spot on all the way. 

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

Actually, there is something to say about her sources being far more trustworthy than your nebulous reference to TV shows and reports.

The Internet is rife with fear-mongering sites and misinformation. The question about the potential danger of anti-perspirants has been debunked over and over.

If you choose to worry about it, fine. But there is not factual basis for any concern whatsoever. And I share the poster's annoyance at the repetiton of untruths.

I am not going to speak to your slandering remarks. However, please be advised that I am not a person who researches and believes anything on the World Wide Web and I don't use it for resources for my knowledge. I have three sheepskins and a lifetime medical degree from which I  gather my information.

Have a very Merry Christmas!