Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE JOIN ME IN PRAYER FOR THIS BEAUTY VENDOR

@keithsmom65 wrote:

BTW, you have not had cancer and recovered. I have...

Nevertthelsss (and I don't know for sure whether she has or hasn't), I am still interested in her opinions and thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

Will her quest for an alternative therapy allow her cancer to grow and cost her her life?  I don't want to be negative, but I'd hate to see this happen.  As awful as the initial treatments must have been, they did the job and gave her years of cancer-free living.  I'm no expert, but I'd stick with established therapies and if I wanted cutting edge go for some very promising new therapies provided by the best oncologists in the country.  Many top hospitals also have some holistic therapies to GO WITH their conventional treatments that have saved so many.  There's nutrition and all kinds of other additional therapies she might get at a major medical center.

Some of the new cancer treatments (immunotherapy?) have far fewer side effects than traditional chemotherapy.  They have the added benefit of being the result of research and testing and in many cases they've shown FABULOUS RESULTS.  Why go to Brazil when there's a whole new world of cancer treatments opening up right now in America's top medical centers?  PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS, DANA.

I agree with you....if people want to explore alternative therapies that is fine but not giving up on traditional methods.  People come from around the world to go to cancer treatment centers like Memorial Sloan Kettering and often holistic treatments are used, as stated.  I have seen two of my friends seek treatment in Germany and Greece but they were in advanced stages and traditional methods were stopped by their physicians and they encouraged them to go, it helped them emotionally just for a change of scenery but not fighting their disease.  Sometimes, people seek alternative methods depending on staging and maybe a bit of denial....it is a big mistake to seek holistic treatment alone...chemo and radiation are not pleasant but certainly symptoms are controlled better today.  As you have stated, immunotherapy has helped so many like President Carter and Gino, Lisa Mason's husband and a good friend of mine who is under the treatment now but after chemo for lymphoma and she feels great! 

Esteemed Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

Dana wants to live her life vibrantly, with peace, joy, affirmations and in the style similar to when she was her happiest prior to her first bout with cancer. She did it the conventional way then but want to add other discoveries to her quality of life as she expands her mind, body and spirit. This is quite a personal journey she desires to take in the manner which pleases her most. She has a very firm grasp on what she is going to do and has a very affirmative attitude about it all.

She is taking charge of her life in a manner that makes her feel best with the approval of her  family and those who love her.

I don't feel that casting any disspirited  opinions is in her best interest.

My goal in posting this thread is to inform those who care for her and request their prayers and support.

I will continue to support her and pray for her throughout all of her future endeavors and pray that her followers will do likewise.

I don't think people are casting opinions in a judgemental  way, we just want her to have the best results and a long healthy, happy life.  She is a beautiful woman

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

Ms X - I think you have missed the whole point here.  Dana has obviously made this decision based on what doctors have been told her they can, and more importantly can't, do for her.  It is at that point we ALL would be forced to make the hard treatment decisions.  Or not.  No one makes a decision to travel off to find alternatives if what is being presented is iron clad positive.  My prayers and best wishes are with Dana.  There are no wrong decisions right now.

MomCat:  No doctor or team of doctors is infallible.  I knew someone about ten years ago whose relative was a heavy smoker and must have known she had cancer.  One day she literally drove herself to a world-renowned cancer center and walked in.  They rushed her into surgery as the cancer was strangling her windpipe or something.  They didn't even expect her to survive the surgery.  Well, let me tell you, she did and she survived about three more years because she was given one of those new experimental drugs.  The thing about these new therapies is that some people respond remarkably to them.  At one point she was the only one in the entire country taking it.  Her doctor told the drug company that they had to keep giving it to her because it was the only thing that was keeping her alive.  She had good quality of life for those years and got to see her son marry.

I can't say I know Dana's situation, and I'm not telling her what to do.  However, I did want to offer my two cents in case it helps.  I'm not saying she has to do anything in particular, but there are stories out there that offer people hope.  Further, oncology has made new strides in the nearly 10 years since the person I told you about was treated.

I can't imagine why some of you ladies tell me what I can and can't say.  I'm not telling you what to say.  I'm just relating what I know and have seen just in case it helps beautiful Dana. 

I agree with you....the point of advice is that people can take it or leave it....but, it is always appropriate to offer solid advice.  I don't know Dana's staging or type but as a medical professional, I have seen fabulous and miraculous outcomes at MSK in NYC and in my friends and family.  Maybe I have not had cancer but few are untouched by cancer.  Of course, we offer prayers and well wishes but information and well meaning advice should not be criticized.  It means we care and want her to have the best chance. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

Will her quest for an alternative therapy allow her cancer to grow and cost her her life?  I don't want to be negative, but I'd hate to see this happen.  As awful as the initial treatments must have been, they did the job and gave her years of cancer-free living.  I'm no expert, but I'd stick with established therapies and if I wanted cutting edge go for some very promising new therapies provided by the best oncologists in the country.  Many top hospitals also have some holistic therapies to GO WITH their conventional treatments that have saved so many.  There's nutrition and all kinds of other additional therapies she might get at a major medical center.

Some of the new cancer treatments (immunotherapy?) have far fewer side effects than traditional chemotherapy.  They have the added benefit of being the result of research and testing and in many cases they've shown FABULOUS RESULTS.  Why go to Brazil when there's a whole new world of cancer treatments opening up right now in America's top medical centers?  PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS, DANA.

I agree with you....if people want to explore alternative therapies that is fine but not giving up on traditional methods.  People come from around the world to go to cancer treatment centers like Memorial Sloan Kettering and often holistic treatments are used, as stated.  I have seen two of my friends seek treatment in Germany and Greece but they were in advanced stages and traditional methods were stopped by their physicians and they encouraged them to go, it helped them emotionally just for a change of scenery but not fighting their disease.  Sometimes, people seek alternative methods depending on staging and maybe a bit of denial....it is a big mistake to seek holistic treatment alone...chemo and radiation are not pleasant but certainly symptoms are controlled better today.  As you have stated, immunotherapy has helped so many like President Carter and Gino, Lisa Mason's husband and a good friend of mine who is under the treatment now but after chemo for lymphoma and she feels great! 

I'd just like to add two more thoughts concerning this caring post.

First, you asked "why go to Brazil when there are top medical facilities here in America"?

I don't believe I stated 

specifically that she is going to Brazil for medical intervention and treatment per say. Perhaps it is for her personal enlightment endeavor that she is undertaking to live her happiest, best days from her pre-cancerous years.

Secondly, it was not made clear if there are ANY medical treatments (God forbid) that could heal her since the cancer has returned in two places in such a brief time.

I PRAY extensively that this is not the case here.

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

Thank you so much for that post, Greenouse!  In addition to what I've already posted, I know someone who had a metastasis to the liver that last I heard was UNDETECTABLE after treatment at one of the world's best hospitals.

I AM BEGGING SOMEONE WHO KNOWS DANA TO ENSURE THAT SHE'S FULLY CONSIDERED THIS ASPECT OF THE PROBLEM.  SHE IS TOO YOUNG TO GIVE UP.

Honored Contributor

As with all threads like this none of us has enough information to be making any informed suggestions, nor were any asked for. Dana and Lisa had a hour long video chatting about their lives, and Dana simply revealed a return of her cancer, and how you could follow her holistic treatment plan on her blog which has already been mentioned. She is a well educated adult woman seeking her own desires within her heart, and she is not asking for advice in any realm. I do pray for Dana, and her family, today, and always. 

Respected Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

As with all threads like this none of us has enough information to be making any informed suggestions, nor were any asked for. Dana and Lisa had a hour long video chatting about their lives, and Dana simply revealed a return of her cancer, and how you could follow her holistic treatment plan on her blog which has already been mentioned. She is a well educated adult woman seeking her own desires within her heart, and she is not asking for advice in any realm. I do pray for Dana, and her family, today, and always. 

I have yet to hear of a holistic therapy that works against cancer.

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

Ms X, Are you familar with the phrase?

"You can lead a horse to water (but you can't make him/it drink)."

Now, it is time to move on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalMom wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

Ms X, Are you familar with the phrase?

"You can lead a horse to water (but you can't make him/it drink)."

Now, it is time to move on.

With all due respect, sometimes it's necessary to be more persistent with those whom you care about just to make sure they'll be okay.  It took me two years to break up my sister's inexplicable affair with a complete loser/high school dropout who I knew the second I met him was insanely jealous and NUTS.  It was worth it, though, as she has been married to the guy who I helped her get back with for 35 years.  BTW, she had to hire A BUNCH OF POLICE to guard her against her former boyfriend at her wedding because he spent the years after their breakup threatening to KILL HER AND HER BOYFRIEND.  I don't know whether he ever threatened me because no one ever told me, but he certainly depised me.  To make a long story short, sometimes one needs to be persistent.