Occasional Contributor

Outrageous Prices and Deceptive Sales Tactics

I'm really disappointed with the Q and V in QVC. The quality is not what it used to be. I bought a HairMax laser headband a while back. I didn't have it 2 weeks and it broke. After it broke and I sent it back for a refund, I read reviews from 6 months before I bought the item detailing the rampant problems with the units failing. QVC knew about the defect and continued selling the product. I lost all trust in QVC at that point. I sent the unit back for a refund and found a comparable product elsewhere for less money. I am also not a fan of their outrageous prices anymore. There's just no value for your money anymore. A lot of their merchandise is overpriced, and you can get the same thing or something similar much cheaper elsewhere. Most online retailers have some type of free shipping available (and cheaper prices), and Amazon even offers free returns now. QVC needs to get with the times or they are going to eventually be left in the dust. I can't trust the hosts anymore because they will tell you anything to make a sale. It really irks me when the hosts present an expensive item and say, "It is only $8 on your credit card to get it home." Boldface lie! That's just the EasyPay amount. They add tax and shipping on top of that. So, you are not getting it home for $8. How they get away with that is mind boggling. You get much better values buying elsewhere, with free shipping and free returns. I still watch QVC regularly, but just to get ideas for stuff to buy elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

Re: Outrageous Prices and Deceptive Sales Tactics

Seriously how expensive can an item be if it has an $8 Easy Pay? 

Some items have free shipping, some days are free shipping days.

Not all states charge sales tax. Some states with a tax may have municipalities that charge a higher sales tax. Guess the host should rattle off each and every combination just to save a customer the bother of knowing their own circumstances.

If an item's reviews were available before making a purchase, and a customer chose to make the purchase, then isn't that decision on the purchaser? 

Respected Contributor

you need to purchase where your needs are met

we have different needs

hence the bajillion places to purchase

very simple

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Seriously how expensive can an item be if it has an $8 Easy Pay? 

Some items have free shipping, some days are free shipping days.

Not all states charge sales tax. Some states with a tax may have municipalities that charge a higher sales tax. Guess the host should rattle off each and every combination just to save a customer the bother of knowing their own circumstances.

If an item's reviews were available before making a purchase, and a customer chose to make the purchase, then isn't that decision on the purchaser? 

Exactly. The customer is responsible for knowing their state's taxes and the shipping cost when buying something. The info is right in front of them before they hit the order button.

Honored Contributor

@Sidekickin    Prices are pretty much fine with me   and apparently you had a better QVC experience 20some years ago than I did.

In the 1990's (I know it was then because I hadn't retired yet) -  I returned my first and only Valerie item because it was defective.   Nothing anyone could have known without opening every single box from the manufacturer.  That happens only in a local store and sometimes not even then.

In the same time period, I also returned(twice) jewelry from Joan Rivers and a few years later I returned Judith Ripka jewelry.

I still shop QVC when I get deals, but nostalgia doesn't tell me it was ever perfect.   Every company SEEMS to be perfect until you are the one who has a problem.   

I do expect companies to deal with a problem when I have one and QVC has done just that for me evey time.

Good luck to you shopping elsewhere in "perfect land."

Respected Contributor

@Sidekickin 

Welcome to the boards ! Whether or not you stay a Q shopper doesn't matter.

Suggestion:  When posting, please break up the long posts so more folks will read your item.  Paragraphs invite the reader to jump in whereas one solid block puts folks off and they will probably skip over the block.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

Regarding my own experience with QVC, they have always fixed whatever problems I have come across when I have recd a product that was broken, lost, etc.  With that said, I will sadly admit that the quality has gone downhill as well as the value.  I understand due to the covid 19 pandemic prices have increased but they have increased too much!  It is  the host job to sell the product and the only way of doing this is to lavish it with praises to get customers to purchase.  In addition the return process has taken way too long.  

Super Contributor

Great suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sidekickin    Outrageous prices are everywhere.  The Q is not alone.   Your hair max experience is unfortunate but you returned it and were refunded.   It is inevitable that a defective product slips through the cracks.   You can find cheaper prices yes.    I rarely shop at Target or Walmart and don't have a big box membership but the other day I was out and looking for a particular household item and stopped at Target.   I walked through the clothing department and honestly I have never seen so much cheap looking junky merchandise, from clothes to shoes to handbags and in the clothing department and the sale clothing was jammed together and tons of clothes lying on the floor.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sidekickin, how did you like the HairMax the two weeks you did have it? And please share with us the comparable product you found elsewhere for less money.