Esteemed Contributor

I also have heard this over the years but then I also heard it's an old wives' tale.

I bought myself one but my daughter was born in October so I'm thinking it's safe as I also have an aquamarine ring for my son's birthstone.

Respected Contributor

That sounds like a silly superstition and I would not pay it any notice.  If you like opals, feel free to wear them.

The opal is my birthstone and I never liked it, never wore it, never wanted one.

Honored Contributor

Well, that explains a lot of things!  I've bought myself many.

Those of you who think opals are fragile need to acquaint yourselves with Ethiopian Opals.  Fairly new to the gem industry, they are not water-based, are highly firery, and do not chip or crack.  They look like jewels floating in a jar of clear jelly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I was born in October, and do wear opal jewelry.  When I first met my husband's grandmother, she freaked out because of the superstition until I told her that it was my birthstone.  Sweet lady who had many fears and believed in many superstitions. 

Respected Contributor

Pure superstition.

Honored Contributor

Roving host Paul Deasy used to tell that bad luck story all the time.  Not the way to sell a stone, obviously some people are superstitious.